Date: 18-04-24  Time: 01:42 am

Author Topic: R1 fork mod Can the later forks with Radial calipers be fitted?  (Read 1477 times)

Gaz1978

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
Hi All, So after much deliberating with myself I am going to try using the R1 forks (4xv 5jj 98/99 type) but have seen that the later model (5vy 04-06) Look similar in design bar the radial mounted calipers.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Cheers Gaz.

@kebab19 @pieEater

killerwhaleTRX

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: R1 fork mod Can the later forks with Radial calipers be fitted?
« Reply #1 on: 07 July 2020, 04:49:31 pm »
Hi All, So after much deliberating with myself I am going to try using the R1 forks (4xv 5jj 98/99 type) but have seen that the later model (5vy 04-06) Look similar in design bar the radial mounted calipers.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Cheers Gaz.
Absolutely, i have a doc found online with all lengths, offsets and rakes for all years of R1 forks compared to the FZ1. I put a 2003 fork on my TRX way back and one should always know that you change rake and wheelbase etc when doing stuff like that.
I still have my R1 fork in the basement so contemplating putting it in the FZ1 just because i also have Matris catridge @ 1000£ in them :)

Cheers
Mattias

@kebab19 @pieEater

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 July 2020, 07:28:39 pm »
From memory, 4XV forks are one of the longest sets you can get, whereas 5VY are one of the shortest?I found that even with 4XV there was a fairly noticeable front-end drop.

killerwhaleTRX

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 July 2020, 06:23:43 am »
From memory, 4XV forks are one of the longest sets you can get, whereas 5VY are one of the shortest?I found that even with 4XV there was a fairly noticeable front-end drop.

Found it:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GS-sydb2h1g/Trs61bA76EI/AAAAAAAALfw/qEfZD5MB55E/s1600/r1+fork+comp.png

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 July 2020, 08:41:10 am »
If you take a look at the old 100 owners club sight there is a good guide by Mike , falcon on the r1 swop
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

Gaz1978

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 July 2020, 09:32:50 am »
Thanks for all of your help so far guys its very much appreciated 😊

ArchDruid

• DAS Born Again
  • wearing my tyres with pride
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Tiger 1050; YZF750/1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 July 2020, 10:53:50 am »
From a yoke perspective, they are mechanically similar, except the offset. As long as the forks fit in the yokes - 54mm bottom yoke and 50mm top yoke (if I remember correctly), you should be fine.
As for the forks themselves, using 4XV / 5JJ forks, you can use the original Fazer axle, wheel & brakes.
With 5PW forks, you’ll need the 5PW front axle, but the original wheels & brakes can be used.
With later model forks, (5VY onwards) you’ll need the complete axle, wheel and brakes, and master cylinder (?). Because of radial type brakes and different size brake rotors
The various forks have different lengths, all of which are shorter than the original fazer (588mm). So its always going to be lower at the front, no matter which forks you use – just a question of how much lower.
5XV & 5JJ are about 544mm. I think they are the longest of the R1 options.
5PW & 5VY are about 520mm.
My collection of info may not all be correct, so happy if someone could confirm.

OSKARO

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
    • Oskaro
« Reply #7 on: 03 September 2020, 09:10:37 pm »
I'm interested to this thread.
my intentions are to swap the FZ1 (2d1) with 5vy, what change with the Axle? can I keep the wheel and the rotors and change only the bearings?
the 5mm of length difference shouldn't effect too much the FZ1, right?

Anyone could help to understand, please?
« Last Edit: 04 September 2020, 08:13:16 am by OSKARO »
OsKarO54 on Maya

K&N Air Filter, Mod Stack Velocity, Mod AirBox, TwoBrothers M-2 Black Ed SlipOn, Ohlins S46HR1C1S, Iridium Sparks, Healtech SpeedoHealer4, GIpro X-Type G2, Ivan's AIS, Healtech Pairs Eliminator, Healtech ESE, AUXITO LED 20000Lum, seq LED ind, 16T/46T Sprockets, ECU Ivan's, PC5 & AT