Date: 19-04-24  Time: 20:59 pm

Author Topic: Pipercross filters  (Read 2846 times)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
Re: Pipercross filters
« Reply #25 on: 17 July 2019, 07:40:26 pm »
 I just bought the pipercross because it was washable.  I wouldn’t think a change of filter in a standard air box would result in much of a change in air flow, if any at all.

I did e-mail pipercross.  They asked me some questions like how did I clean it etc.
They said “This is very unusual!”
They asked me where I bought it.  I told them I bought it from their online shop and quoted the order number, month and year – I no longer have the receipt.

I’ve not heard back since.  So I didn’t think I’m getting a replacement and I can’t be bothered perusing it any further.
So yeah, Hiflo paper filters for me.  And if I am ever tempted by a fancy filter in the future I’d go with K&N.  I’ve had them before and had no issues. 

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17 July 2019, 08:05:56 pm »
I just bought the pipercross because it was washable.  I wouldn’t think a change of filter in a standard air box would result in much of a change in air flow, if any at all.

Youd be surprised. From the test results and things I've read up on the aftermarket/race filters can have up to 30% more filtered surface area so they do let more air through and obviously more air + more fuel = more power but to be honest the gains are negligible. 2-3bhp claimed and that's the max.
I have a modified airbox and power commander etc so its worth the extra few quid for me to get the best out of what I've got.
If my bike was standard then I would definitely be using hi flo filters for the price

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 17 July 2019, 08:22:45 pm »
 Yeah, I think the gains are minimal because without other mods you can’t get much more air through a standard air box. 

But yeah with some modifications they can be worthwhile, but only if you can adjust the fuelling, which I guess is where your power commander comes in.

I just liked the idea of an affordable filter I could wash and re-use. 

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17 July 2019, 10:46:30 pm »

I did e-mail pipercross.  They asked me some questions like how did I clean it etc.
They said “This is very unusual!”
They asked me where I bought it.  I told them I bought it from their online shop and quoted the order number, month and year – I no longer have the receipt.

I’ve not heard back since.  So I didn’t think I’m getting a replacement and I can’t be bothered perusing it any further.
So yeah, Hiflo paper filters for me.  And if I am ever tempted by a fancy filter in the future I’d go with K&N.  I’ve had them before and had no issues.

To  be honest for me it comes down to personal time - for me it's priceless.

Will I notice a potential 2-3 bhp gain = NOPE !
Will I be satisfied that my bike is serviced the right way having done it myself - YEP!
Will I notice the cost difference vs labour time........Very subjective to each individual's spare time.

For me, replace & throw away - 2-3bhp is gained or lost(if it really counts) on rider ability and my time is more precious than a few quid.

As always, just my 2p.

Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.