Date: 28-03-24  Time: 09:06 am

Author Topic: Barry Sheene Classic Oliver's Mount.  (Read 1969 times)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Barry Sheene Classic Oliver's Mount.
« on: 18 July 2019, 03:56:49 pm »
Anyone going to Scarborough next weekend. Booked my ticket months ago when it included free camping. Foggy, McPint and Dean Harrison are down to ride and the current weather forecast is ok. Plan to get there when the campsite opens at 2pm, get plotted up, then in to town for a few beers.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Barry Sheene Classic Oliver's Mount.
« Reply #1 on: 18 July 2019, 06:52:20 pm »
Was supposed to be going... had it planned for months, then the missus work decided shes working that day so I've got the kids 😱 and theres no way I'm facing it A. In a car and B. With 2 kids in tow
I'll have to wait till the next one 😵

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2019, 07:32:05 am »
That's a shame Dude. Maybe you could go to the Gold Cup at the end of September.

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 July 2019, 11:57:00 pm »
Are you old enough to remember the late great Bob Smith ? when I used to race I got very friendly with Bob and his missus,could never beat him,in actual fact I remember following him around Charlies bend at Cadwell and he had the wheels out of line and this was in the days of the old cross ply tyres! he was a lovely bloke,never flash and always but always had time for you if you had problems with your bike or van.He went on to great things,especially at Olivers Mount and even when he was at the top of his game he would greet us as if we were at a club meeting.When he got killed at Scarborough I swore I'd never go there again but I did and the place has never seemed the same to me without that wonderful bloke about.I'm glad he's remembered with the respect he deserves at Olivers mount and am so glad Mick Grant and Eddie Roberts have managed to get the place up and running again,long may it continue.God bless you Bob.R.I.P.
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 July 2019, 06:43:42 pm »
Yep I remember Bob Smith, no doubt the first time I would have seen him race was in the Trans Atlantic series, alongside Bazza, Rocket Ron, Keith Huewen and Chris Guy. I'm coming up for 73, so have been lucky enough to have seen quite a few "greats".
Strangely enough, I've never been to Olivers Mount before, so would have missed him at his favourite track.
« Last Edit: 10 August 2019, 09:26:24 pm by robbo »

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 July 2019, 07:52:50 pm »
You're in for a treat,it's a cracking place to watch,really close to the action,like a little TT.Deano rules the roost there at the moment,just like Bob used to. :(

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 July 2019, 09:27:04 pm »
Good weekend. Dean Harrison ruled the Mount, as was expected. Nice to see one of Bazza's No7's, getting a caning in the parade laps. Had a nice memory lane chat with  Mr.Whitham. Bands were good, and no doubt the Gold Cup in September will be a date to pencil on the calendar. A few teething problems were evident, but this meeting was a steep learning curve for Mick Grant and his associates. Finding where the programmes were sold was a challenge, and on clambering down the never ending flight of steps to Mere Hairpin to buy a pit entry pass, was told they had run out of wrist bands, but would get some more later, which was a big disappointment for me, as the paddock looked very busy, from the other side of the track, but couldn't be arsed to keep walking back there in the vain hope of the wrist bands turning up.Not a very exciting part of the country to ride to from the south,as lots of sections covered by average speed cameras. If I go again I'd take the car so could take a bigger tent, barbeque, beers etc. Great party atmosphere, and most of all the horrendous weather that was forecast, didn't materialise. Sea mist curtailed racing midway through Sunday afternoon, which was a shame, but that certainly didn't spoil my weekend. Another 576 miles racked up on the mighty thou.

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 July 2019, 11:55:47 pm »
Glad you had a good day.Very weird that mess up trying to access the paddock,because the last time I went there and I'm talking a few years we had the same problem with the officials at Mere.I wonder if there's some kind of problem letting the public in? very strange,seems more than a coincidence that given the time gap and the same excuse.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 July 2019, 10:59:42 am »
They were charging a tenner to get into the paddock, so lost a lot of much needed revenue by having insufficient wrist bands. Possibly with the weather forecast being so bad, they were overwhelmed by the higher than expected turnout.

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 July 2019, 02:40:41 pm »
Yep,started to come in at 7am and 15000 people near enough! :eek