Date: 28-03-24  Time: 16:34 pm

Author Topic: Rear disc hot  (Read 1391 times)

MC900

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Rear disc hot
« on: 30 October 2019, 07:48:41 am »
Just had a rear caliper (thou caliper) fitted to my 600. The rear disc is getting warm without even using the rear brake. Yesterday you could have probably cooked on it it was that hot after a bit of braking.

When the thou caliper was fitted there were no washers fitted like I've read some have done in other threads, could that be the issue? Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

redmandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Rear disc hot
« Reply #1 on: 30 October 2019, 09:20:43 am »
Never done the upgrade myself but it sounds like it is rubbing. I’ve heard of marking the disc with chalk then spinning the wheel will help to indicate where the issue is.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 October 2019, 11:10:42 am »

I’m guessing the washers you refer to are just to align the centre of the caliper with the disc. One piston needing to be a millimetre further out than the other to compensate for any slight misalignment shouldn’t be much of an issue.
Most likely it’s the seals as they provide the restoring force to pull the piston back when you lift off the brake lever. If they’re old or non-oem the piston will bind and roast the disc.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 October 2019, 01:51:19 pm »
Is the wheel aligned properly? With the bike on the centre stand spin the wheel and listen for clunky noises from the chain/sprocket, it should purr if it’s all good.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

MC900

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 October 2019, 03:57:27 pm »
Wheel seems fine, had new chain and sprockets done few days ago and all seems good. Just took the bike to a garage and he reckons the caliper might need rebuilding as it's binding slightly. Thought there might of been an easier fix :(

It does only take a slight touch of the rear pedal for the brake to kick in quite sharply which I'm not sure if that's normal?
« Last Edit: 30 October 2019, 03:59:08 pm by MC900 »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 October 2019, 06:33:52 pm »
Wheel seems fine, had new chain and sprockets done few days ago and all seems good. Just took the bike to a garage and he reckons the caliper might need rebuilding as it's binding slightly. Thought there might of been an easier fix :(

It does only take a slight touch of the rear pedal for the brake to kick in quite sharply which I'm not sure if that's normal?

Depends what you’re used to i s’pose,  the brakes on these bikes are very sharp if looked after, plus you’ve upgraded your rear caliper as well so they will feel very efficient.
What pads are you using?

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 October 2019, 11:34:47 pm »
You could be resting your foot on the lever as you're riding, the system could be over filled with fluid, caliper might need a clean/rebuild. Can you turn the wheel by hand when the disc is cold?

MC900

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 October 2019, 05:38:37 pm »
Using pads that come with the caliper, not sure what they are. I can turn the wheel by hand yes. I went to 2 different garages, one of them said you better watch out it could go on fire and the other said it's fine they are meant to get that hot. Strange though that my rear gets hotter than front.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 October 2019, 07:30:18 pm »
possible the pads that came with the caliper have not bedded into your disc yet.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 November 2019, 06:03:27 am »
possible the pads that came with the caliper have not bedded into your disc yet.

Even more so if they've been swapped around in the caliper when fitting it.
Pads might be too harsh for the disc as well.

Steve3351

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 November 2019, 11:08:02 pm »
Hi MC900
I recently had the same issue with my standard FZS600 rear brake....turned out to be the brake lever was sticking slightly on the pivot due to grime collecting... a drop of WD40 fixed the problem instantly...!  :'( :rollin :lol