Date: 28-03-24  Time: 18:54 pm

Author Topic: Very new owner in Oldham  (Read 4277 times)

Offtheclockuk

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Very new owner in Oldham
« on: 01 November 2013, 09:43:34 am »
So new I haven't bought the bike yet!

I'm James, and I've been trying to decide on a civilized replacement for my drz400,

There's a couple of nice fzs600's on fleabay at the moment, one of which is only 3 miles from my house,
It's a metallic red, V plate "99" with just under 14k ont clock, I'm going to look at it today but it looks mint in the pictures, thing is the price, £2295 is it worth it?

Also a metallic blue 2001 with only 3k on the clock which without a doubt is completely mint.
Which is priced at £2499, but it's in Wolverhampton,

I'm torn between them, any suggestions from the wise old sages of the forum?

I'm going to buy one of them and I'll be well behaved and totally shameless in by begging for info and cheap parts, so no doubt will be a popular member hahaha!

Any advise is more than welcome, thanks guys (and gals) if there are any?

James

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Very new owner in Oldham
« Reply #1 on: 01 November 2013, 09:56:13 am »
With a difference of 11,000 miles and £200 quid i would definately be lookin at the blue bike and not because I think blue is fastest (which it is) but for the fact u will probably never see one with 3k on the clock up for sale. So if ur sure this is the bike for u imo its the blue one all the way. ( maybee u can bring him down fer cash?)
« Last Edit: 01 November 2013, 09:58:15 am by Exupnut »
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

Offtheclockuk

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Very new owner in Oldham
« Reply #2 on: 01 November 2013, 09:59:54 am »
Kind of what I was thinking, maybe if I could talk him into free delivery as he's a dealer,
Would be a bit daft to pass up such a low mileage example I guess?

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 November 2013, 10:01:55 am »

Dont that look good .....
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 November 2013, 10:11:15 am »
Be careful don't assume that low mileage guarantees good condition as lack of use can bring its own problems, but if it from a dealer as with all things you have some guarantee. I'm sure either bike will be fine but don't be dazzled by the miles do all the usual checks.
Good hunting Andy

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 November 2013, 10:18:48 am »
Both sound a bit on the expensive side especially at this time of year.....I had a nice 2001 with about 20k and sold it for £1500 two years ago.

Offtheclockuk

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 November 2013, 10:21:54 am »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331038145394?redirect=mobile

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261283880390?redirect=mobile

I understand they're not the cheapest, but having bought vehicles privately before, I'm not keen on the idea, too many shysters and bad experiences.

I'd like to try the dealer route, see if that's any easier.

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 November 2013, 10:57:52 am »
very nice, I paid roughly the same, but looks like new, go for it. you only get what you pay for.
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

Offtheclockuk

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 November 2013, 01:06:03 pm »
Still gonna have a look, if there's a bit of haggling maybe I'll plump for one, there's one in chorley with 15k for about £1700, but it's not as clean as the others...

Offtheclockuk

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Very new owner in Oldham
« Reply #9 on: 01 November 2013, 01:31:28 pm »
Saves me a trip then, gonna have to go and haggle the one at highbarn then, seeing as the red ones are best!

Still gonna have a look, if there's a bit of haggling maybe I'll plump for one, there's one in chorley with 15k for about £1700, but it's not as clean as the others...

That was the first Fazer I looked at, 11 month ago!!! Red one? Chain was rusty, save a journey mate!
« Last Edit: 01 November 2013, 01:35:28 pm by Offtheclockuk »

Offtheclockuk

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 November 2013, 01:46:12 pm »
Hahaha! The drz forum was the same, with a very passionate argument over which colour was superior ;-)

Offtheclockuk

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 November 2013, 03:19:04 pm »
Been to see the red one, tried every angle to make it look bad, but it really is mint, the price is none negotiable too.

BOLLOCKS! Now what do I do?  Still unsure whether to buy it even though he tried to tempt me away with a 2004 cbf600 instead, but I still drifted back to the fazer.

No test rides either, reason was too many get dropped on test rides so he can't take the chance :-(

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 November 2013, 06:03:35 pm »
Hi James, and welcome to the forum.
Regarding going to look at the bike, couldn't he have offered to at least take you out on the back? Not perfect, but gives you something else to go by. Very difficult to offer advice without having been there oneself. How did he come across? Bullshitter, or did he seem straight up? Any suspicions aroused at all? Showed you all the documents, and registered at the address you viewed it at? Service history? Footrest/gear lever rubbers look brand new? (i.e. don't match the mileage on the bike). Not always the case, but often people who won't come down on price are more to be trusted. Again, you couldn't base your decision on that, but just another possible pointer.
I agree that the prices for both are high (although 3k on the clock of the blue one is something that is more and more rare), especially at this time of year. The Chorley one could be a good bet tho - 15k is nothing if it's had a reasonable amount of care, and leaves you a good bit to tidy it up if it needs it.

So, just adding to the thoughts already expressed. Good luck with your choice  :)

Offtheclockuk

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 November 2013, 06:05:45 pm »
Well, gone and done it, left a dipper on the red one, collect on Friday. Long tax and mot, some warranty too, it'll get me through winter before the trinkets start to arrive for it.

Offtheclockuk

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 November 2013, 06:16:33 pm »
The guy was straight up, spent ages with me mithering, had a sit on about 6 different bikes,  I have a bike mechanic mate who deals with him a lot and he echoed the same thing, might not be the cheapest one on the market but a good guy to deal with.

On the plus side with the sale of my drz I've only forked out £800 cash so I'm just going to enjoy it and hopefully keep it for a long time.

Cheers for all the different angles and advice on the topic, you've all been a great help.

James.

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 November 2013, 07:18:04 pm »
Both sound overpriced , I wouldn't pay much over the odds for extras   unless it was in mint condition  , I would check out the price on Parkers price guide online , and also check for outstanding finance or if its been cat c or cat d damaged , Parkers prices are based on average mileage so if it is low mileage you would expect the price to be higher , take an objective mate and if your paying cash be cheeky and haggle , although some owners get offended if you take the piss . 

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 November 2013, 07:59:10 pm »
well done james.you bought the right one  :lol .....yes a little over priced but you got what you wanted,sometimes you have to pay a little extra to get what you want.......your still be enjoying the fazer long after you`ve forgotten the price.......enjoy mate and dont forget the piccies. :D 
One, is never going to be enough.....

codgie

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - volvo 220 LS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 November 2013, 11:34:38 pm »
just bought the fastest ever colour  BLACK bout 15000 miles £1400 (600/99)
and its in outstanding condition from a dealer

so you pays your money you takes your choice lol
if it dont got an engine it aint a sport

codgie

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - volvo 220 LS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 November 2013, 11:42:59 pm »

Offtheclockuk

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 November 2013, 07:00:43 am »
True, there are always better deals to be had, those deals aren't always immediately available or close enough to view easily.
I've gone down the route of buying cars and bikes from Ayrshire to Kent and although dirt cheap, have come with a whole host of issues.

I just wanted a nice local bike really, and for once in my life, the price wasn't an issue so much because the cash had come from a compo claim for a none fault bike accident in feb this year.

So in theory I never had the money before so I'm not going to miss it lol!

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 November 2013, 08:53:57 am »
Price is what someone is willing to pay,  if you're happy with the bike and willing to pay for it then enjoy. As long as it's worth it to you then that's fine, someone else will always have got a better deal I know I did lol:P

Offtheclockuk

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 November 2013, 06:59:32 am »
Next day off work for me to pick the bike up is Friday, gonna be the longest week ever :-(

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03 November 2013, 09:32:05 am »
 :agree  Andy FZS. Looks good and I'm sure you will enjoy it.  :) .  I know I do, although I have the advantage of having a blue one  ;) .
P.S. also another northerner.

Offtheclockuk

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 November 2013, 02:38:36 pm »
A blue one?

I thought the red ones were the best?

codgie

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - volvo 220 LS
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 November 2013, 09:27:32 pm »
:agree  Andy FZS. Looks good and I'm sure you will enjoy it.  :) .  I know I do, although I have the advantage of having a blue one  ;) .
P.S. also another northerner.

and the dissadvantage of not having a black one ;) ;) ;)