Date: 19-04-24  Time: 11:01 am

Author Topic: Focer font of knowledge using Fiberglass  (Read 1533 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Focer font of knowledge using Fiberglass
« on: 21 August 2018, 09:26:41 am »
Never used fiberglass before and I am hoping to try and repair a broken concrete wavy roof tile. I have glued one back together before with rem-chem resin used for fixing threaded studs in walls and then a bit extra buttered on the back reinforced with Aluminium mesh which worked well.I believe fiberglass will stick to concrete - dust free.
When I am putting on extra layers of sheet do I wait until the first layer is touch dry or tacky or completely cured.I have a big boy kit from toolstation which says touch dry in 50 -70 mins but it doesn't say when it will be fully cured.Also the mix is 300:1  :eek bit of a faff to measure that out. Can someone point me to a make that has an easier mix ratio with less risk of getting it wrong.Are there also faster curing ones.
Thanks
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Focer font of knowledge using Fiberglass
« Reply #1 on: 21 August 2018, 09:35:58 am »
Hi fella don't know much about repairing roofs but this is the company we use at work for anything like that, they're very good to deal with. + they do starter kits.

http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/starter-kits

« Last Edit: 21 August 2018, 09:37:29 am by celticdog »
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 August 2018, 09:45:40 am »
Hi fella don't know much about repairing roofs but this is the company we use at work for anything like that, they're very good to deal with. + they do starter kits.

http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/starter-kits

Thanks I will have a look. Its just a single tile, bit of a practice and test as much as anything.When the fabric says 100gsm etc  I assume that is exactly the same as how they grade paper thickness - which I am very much used to
« Last Edit: 21 August 2018, 09:48:45 am by fazersharp »

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 August 2018, 12:25:57 pm »
I assume it’s the stuff on concrete sectional garage roofs?

About 6/7 years ago a freak summer hail storm punctured my old garage in about 5 places. These stones were the size of golf balls I kid you not!

The temporary repair that turned into permanent was flashing tape, it’s self adhesive. Painted over with bitumen paint and it never leaked until the garage was eventually demolished and replaced with brick. Followed by sale of the house but that’s a different story 🤐

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 August 2018, 12:27:47 pm »
PS, if it’s really old it may have low % asbestos content

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 August 2018, 12:38:06 pm »
Its a house roof tile like these.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 August 2018, 04:31:18 pm »
Normally it’s not so difficult to replace individual tiles like those, reclaimed items can be found. Might be easier than messing about. The same hail storm wrecked about 20 of those on the house roof too!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 August 2018, 05:03:17 pm »
Normally it’s not so difficult to replace individual tiles like those, reclaimed items can be found. Might be easier than messing about. The same hail storm wrecked about 20 of those on the house roof too!
know I an fin replacements but it is a special last row one that has a lip that fills in the otherwise open - pest entry. Its the last tile that ends at the gutter and they are much harder to find. I could just replace with a normal one but I wanted to practice working with and to see if I could repair with fibreglass.

Edmund

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Kz750Twin G1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 August 2018, 10:40:27 pm »
What you need is Evercryl. its reinforced with fibres and can be applied in the wet. for extra strength put some matting on the first coat and reaply.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 April 2019, 08:58:45 am »
Going to re - ignite this thread. I did not use my big boy kit on the roof job but yesterday used it on another job. I mixed it at 1-300 and it would not set. TWAT  :rolleyes it should be 3-100  :eek .
  • Can I mix any hardener with it or any resin with any hardener. So are all the fibreglass resins and hardeners compatible.
  • Is there a problem associated with adding too much hardener.
  • Where do people get their fibreglass supplies from because buying the big boy kit starts to be expensive and only comes with a corse matting.
« Last Edit: 18 April 2019, 09:01:03 am by fazersharp »