Date: 28-03-24  Time: 11:39 am

Author Topic: Car Tyres  (Read 5967 times)

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
Car Tyres
« on: 05 January 2014, 08:13:15 pm »
Hi Guys,

I am in need of 2 new front tyres, and as these things go, I got a nasty puncture on a rear tyre yesterday which can not be repaired. So I will just buy a set of 4.

The problem is, I have a bunch of stuff to shell out on this month and next. I need to do the front brakes on the car. It is also overdue a service, which I will also do. My 125 is due a service (not to expensive). I have a few bits to finish on the Fazer and I just bought a Thunderace before Christmas, which I was planning on doing up. Also, we booked a holiday the day before the puncture and fly out at the start of March, so I need to save a bit for that.

Anyway, my point is, I use Pirelli tyres on the car usually. Have done for 15 years and they work for me and my driving style, even when I had the rear wheel drive Mx5.

This time I am going to have to buy budget tyres and am unsure where to spend the money. I will have to order this week as the fronts are under 1.6mm (although it is still biking weather most days). I had a look at these - [size=78%]http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/sailun-atrezzo-z4-as-225-45-r17-94-w-xl#48498309[/size]. [/size]There seems to be mixed reviews. I don't like the idea of them being from China, but on a budget, do I have a choice? Has anyone used them before, or can you recommend another tyre around this price? +/- a tenner a hoop would be fine. FYI, I drive a SAAB 9-3 AERO Turbo with 210BHP, front wheel drive. I don't drive like a boy-racer, but I do like occasional fun when a boy-racer passes me. Any advice appreciated, and please only first hand experience if possible. Thanks[size=78%]

Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Car Tyres
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2014, 08:28:25 pm »
I put budgets on my old civic type r, (~200,BHP) which got the same sort of use as you describe (not always hooning it, but not exactly Sunday driving either). It totally ruined the car. The handling went to pot, it struggled to get decent traction in anything but the driest of days.

I kept them a month before going back to p zero rosso s (Pirelli). The brand of those were nankang I think.

Conversely though, I have run budgets on my current car (140BHP mondeo diesel) and they have been fine, but my driving is much more relaxed in that in general, with no hooning to speak of (cars not suited to that sort of driving really).

I've tried autogrip tyres and also Westlake tyres in my current mondeo, and both have been ok, but the autogrip lasted longer and grip a bit better for me (18" wheels). I think I got a set of 4 autogrips for about £210 which is excellent for 18" wheels really.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2014, 09:07:39 pm »
Where did you get them Mick? I drive sensible (in the car) 90% of the time, as the bike(s) are there for beeing a hooligan. Fuel is to expensive to rip it in the cage. Although I did batter down the M8 this morning as I was late for work. It was wet, cold and on cold tyres and it handled fine. No slides or spins at all. I would be willing to let that go as its once in a blue moon, and I can't afford Pirelli anyways. And if I hold off much longer I may have to include the cost of a fine in my purchase.
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2014, 09:09:53 pm »
i chop and change to wherever has the best deals on at the time matey, usually buy online and get them delivered (my local tyre fitter knows me well so i usually only have to figure in a few quid to get fitting and balancing).

Places i generally use:

oponeo
camskill
blackcircles
etyres

ASDAtyres seems to be getting better too, but ive not bought off there yet.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2014, 09:18:46 pm »
Thanks for that. I will give them a look. Fitting is unlikely to be an issue. My mate works in the Saab dealership  :thumbup

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 January 2014, 09:38:07 pm »
I think it was camskill I previously got the autogrips from, but a look there confirms they dont have your size in stock :( (they are £47 +VAT a tyre though)

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 January 2014, 10:43:55 pm »
To be honest fella, the cheapest tyre I would ever fit are Federal SS-595.

Had them on a 900SE Turbo pushing 240Bhp and thought they were great.

Good luck
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 January 2014, 11:52:09 pm »
Seems to me Adee if you're talking purchasing budget off internet direct from foreign lands then the main problem is they won't necessarily have been tested to British standards. I'm no expert but I believe every tyre legally sold in UK (even quickfit budgets) are tested and given speed ratings etc and so are fine for all cars. With the exception maybe of high performance and even then there are budget performance tyres.

Budgets probably need changing sooner than branded but if money is tight at moment they ease the pressure on the wallet and besides the maths could work out that mileage wise the budgets could work out cheaper in the long term as well.

« Last Edit: 06 January 2014, 12:04:41 am by midden »
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #8 on: 06 January 2014, 08:48:09 am »
I think those Chinese three are made for the American market, according to a review. I am pretty sure they meet UK and euro standards and I have used oponeo before and like their service. I am more concerned that I will end up going round a roundabout sideways with my wife/mum/nephew in the car.

Just as a final wee kick in the financial nuts, my CBF has developed a fault and is showing the engine warning light. The joys

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 January 2014, 08:56:13 pm »
just bought some Pirelli for my ford kuga, buy one get one half price, I think it was ats, it was one of the big firms.
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #10 on: 06 January 2014, 09:03:38 pm »
ATS's cheapest budget for my car is £95 a corner! And its unbranded guff. The best they offer Pirelli in my size is £110, and they are only summer hoops  :'( . Maybe I should sell big Sabbo and buy a Nissin Micra or Igo or some other pheromone fueled put-put.

Ebme Geek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 January 2014, 09:47:38 pm »
I've got a Saab now, last car Volvo V40, put Toyo Proxi's on the front was very impressed even in the snow, will see if I can get them for the Saab when needed, to be honest can't wait but don't want to waist the tread I've got left

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #12 on: 06 January 2014, 11:03:28 pm »
What kind of SAAB ya got?

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 January 2014, 11:13:25 pm »
I would put some good condition part worns on. I put 2 new pirelli p zero 285/35/18 for £55 all in fitted and balanced.

They had 3.8mm of tread so 50% worn.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 January 2014, 11:18:54 pm »
I've got a Saab now, last car Volvo V40, put Toyo Proxi's on the front was very impressed even in the snow, will see if I can get them for the Saab when needed, to be honest can't wait but don't want to waist the tread I've got left

I've got Toyo Proxes on my MG ZS and they are mostly fine in the dry, but in the wet they get a little "fun" :P

They are pretty good tyres as far as I'm concerned, but the fuel efficiency on them is crap

Having said that, I paid £60 for 4 barely used tyres... it was a deal I just couldn't refuse

Ebme Geek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 07 January 2014, 06:25:38 am »
What kind of SAAB ya got?

900 XS Talladega 2.3Ltr manual,
I kid you not the tyres have "ROCKSTONE" written on the side of them !!!
Heard of Firestone, Bridgestone - obviously, but who the hell names a tyre Rockstone ???
Caveman comes to mind  :rolleyes

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 January 2014, 08:28:27 am »
Sounds like you are going to have to prioritise and sacrifice on one or more. I had one of these SAAB's as a loan car a couple of months ago and found it really difficult to get traction. With poor weather conditions breaking is also going to be compromised, so I would put a decent set on as I suspect your insurance excess would more than the difference between budget and branded....never mind yours and passenger safety.

A holiday is always something to look forward to, your bikes will always be there and can be worked on when your cash flow improves

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #17 on: 07 January 2014, 08:37:52 am »
Kumho are standard fit on my Hyundai and they seem quite good. I would put them on again as they are 2/3rd the price of Pirelli.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 07 January 2014, 12:36:31 pm »
I have a Mercedes SLK with 18" low profile wheels with cheapo tyres on which let go rather badly on a wet corner so I toddled down to National Tyres and had new fronts fitted for £215- I was desperate

These were Barums- made by Continental who are OEM for Mercs

very happy with the grip and the longevity so far.

needed two more for the back and found that you can buy the same tyre with fittings balancing valves and disposal for £165 (same thing entirely) on ebay

Wifes C class needed two new tyres so I got four Barums fitted and got the same cheap deal buying them through national tyres on line - same fitting shop, same tyre fitter same tyres

I have two Continental 195-65-R15-91V if anyone is after a bargain - almost as new with over 5mm tread left- I love the Barums that much I brough the wife a set too!- ahhhh theres love for you!
59 going on 57

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 January 2014, 12:43:22 pm »
I got some part worn continentals on the Mondeo and they're far better than the budget things that came off, cost me £40.  I've had part worns on a 300bhp rwd car before and had no problems, even on track.

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #20 on: 07 January 2014, 03:48:12 pm »
Kumho are standard fit on my Hyundai and they seem quite good. I would put them on again as they are 2/3rd the price of Pirelli.

just ordered kumho 205/45/16's from etyres £75 fitted at work! 10% discount for 2 25% for 4 atm!!
last set lasted 30k miles on front drive Skoda everything form 30 mile daily commute to 240 mile weekly commute (each way)
black circle similar price with tesco's point but have to go to get them fitted!

rear tyres are bridgestone & done 69k miles & still legal..

depends on budget & cash u got

other option is to go for part worns. the local place in redruth cant get my size but can for Mrs's cage! £25 a tyre n they normally 3-4mm n decent brands and will match pairs /sets!

It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #21 on: 07 January 2014, 04:37:46 pm »
The Hyundai is a 4x4 and I have done 40K on the original tyres and still have about 4mm left. Should be able to do at least 50K before I change them. Grip isn't too bad either.

For the wife's Saab cabrio, I just put on some cheap crap tyres as she only does about 5K a year.

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 07 January 2014, 04:38:33 pm »
I got some part worn continentals on the Mondeo and they're far better than the budget things that came off, cost me £40.  I've had part worns on a 300bhp rwd car before and had no problems, even on track.

I have part worns on the back of my E55, much better than any cheap stuff .

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 January 2014, 05:19:52 pm »
On a better car only a FOOL would put cheap tyres on,,death trap comes to mind..

get part worns of ebay or similar.Or try a breakers.
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #24 on: 07 January 2014, 05:58:33 pm »
there's cheap and there's cheap. Part worns can be good value BUT you don't know the history of them. True, when you buy a second hand car you have the same concern but I would rather put a mid range tyre on and miss out on the meal out or whatever than put part worns on.