Date: 19-04-24  Time: 00:13 am

Author Topic: Gen 1 Refurb? Or Replace?  (Read 3020 times)

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
Gen 1 Refurb? Or Replace?
« on: 07 March 2020, 10:59:53 am »
Greetings all,

I’m hoping for a bit of constructive advice from the collective please? I know a few of you have had this dilemma previously and wouldn’t mind hearing your thoughts about how you resolved it and whether, in hind sight, you feel that you made the right choice.

Had my Gen1 (3rd over the years) for about eight years now. Had some of the best mods done, Ohlins front and rear, Full Monty, etc. its been a cracking bike and every time I ride it, I come away feeling it’s such a fantastic allrounder and so versatile.

I’ve been pondering recently over a more modern replacement again. (It’s a biannual cycle 🙄). I tried the MT10 in 2018 and it wasn’t for me, a year and a pro lapsed disc later. [size=78%]Been looking at lots of things, Speed Triple, Street Triple, Speed Twin, XSR900, MT09 but, to be honest, there’s nothing that REALLY floats my boat. Particularly after I’ve looked at the cost to change[/size][/size][size=78%]. I should add that Im lucky enough to also have a BMW Gs12.[/size]
[/size]
Unfortunately, over the years, the ravages of time, all year round use, British climate and my less than perfect cleaning regime, have taken their toll on the Fazer. A couple of years back, I unfortunately dropped it on some black ice over the winter. This left some scuffs and minor cracks on the fairing / nose cone. The worst part by far, is the engine paint.

Sooo.......

I’ve been looking around for a while online at decent condition second hand ones, to see what I would need to pay for a REALLY nice condition one.

Do I:

1. Buy a second Gen1 as above to “Keep for Best”, sunny days out etc OR
2. Spend the money getting mine refurbed / partial restoration.

I can see advantages to both options.

I would keep my current one and continue to use it as a winter / poor weather ride, if it was option one. I wouldn’t get a great deal of money back from it I don’t think, unless I stripped it back to basics and sold on the extras.I could always take it on the odd track day without any great worry if I did end up dropping it again.

Anyone gone down the refurb / resto route, paying to have it done (as I would)? Appreciate any feedback on costs involved if you have?

Any thoughts please from those that have been there and done either option?

Cheers

Skidt

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
Re: Gen 1 Refurb? Or Replace?
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2020, 01:01:01 pm »
I've got two Fazers and only ever seem to use one of them. When I need to use the other one because something has broken on my 'main' one I find I haven't bothered to tax/MOT/insure the second one so cant use it anyway.

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2020, 03:05:32 pm »
😂 I can see how that would be a possibility.

Ideally, I’d like to keep my garage as a two bike garage and avoid the additional expense of another MOT / Tax / Insurance. I’ve had more bikes in garage in the past. I found that over a period of time, I’ve put one after the other away dirty after a long day out. After a time they then all end up dirty and it’s a monumental task to get them all back looking good again.

Thanks for your response.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 March 2020, 05:35:17 pm »
I've got two Fazers and only ever seem to use one of them. When I need to use the other one because something has broken on my 'main' one I find I haven't bothered to tax/MOT/insure the second one so cant use it anyway.

Woukd it not have been more beneficial to have them sprayed the same colour then if the main one breaks just swap the number plate to the other one. Saves the need for 2 lots of insurance etc I know its technically illegal but if it's only for the odd trip then I wouldnt worry. Plus who would ever know 🤷‍♂️

As for OP... I would slowly restore the Fazer. Couldn't see the point of buying another one just to start modifying it all over again (be honest you know you would) especially when you already have 2 bikes.
I would imagine you'd use the BMW for any serious distances anyway so just keep the Fazer as a 'fun' bike. Maybe go crazy a fully customise it?

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 March 2020, 07:41:10 pm »
I've made the mistake of hanging on to bikes far too long for reasons of sentimentality etc. If it was me, and had the money, I'd buy the blue one in the "for sale" section, and relegate your good servant, to winter/hack bike duties. It's easy and cheap enough to keep one running safely on the road. It's a total different ballgame to try and restore one to mint. Only my opinion of course. Good luck with your decision. :)
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 March 2020, 07:47:03 pm »
Im in the same boat, currently looking at a Kawasaki Z1000SX..

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 March 2020, 10:03:15 pm »
Thanks for your responses guys, all food for thought.

Trust me, I’ve looked at the photos of the blue one with black engine several times since it was advertised. It does look a well specc’d cracker and clearly, if I do decide to buy another, I’d be posting a wanted ad on here.
I’ve really only held off because I love my current colour DPBM and the late red / black ones.

I’ve also considered the Z1000SX, particularly the new version, the rebadged Ninja. Looked at one at the dealers on Friday. I just can’t gel with the styling, the shape of the front of the tank and the nose of the fairing. I actually still think the Fazer is a good looking bike that hasn’t aged badly at all.

Keep your thoughts coming guys.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 March 2020, 10:18:42 pm »
There’s a downside when having a ‘best’ bike, I’ve found I just don’t really end up using it. I normally use the no 2 as this is perfectly serviceable and don’t mind leaving it anywhere for fear of it getting damaged or robbed.

So for me, the thou sits in the garage looking pretty and the ZZR gets hammered with the weather. I’ve often thought I should just use the Fazer all year round but cosmetically it’s too nice!

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 March 2020, 10:43:09 pm »
That’s partly my fear Trebus, that if I get my current one refurbed, I might not want to use it other than in perfect sunny days.
My thought process also is that if I buy a second “minter”, that shouldn’t really devalue significantly over a period of years. So I can always sell it and get my money back, should I need to at some point in the future. Whereas if I refurb my current one, I would imagine, like most restorations, that you’re unlikely to get your investment back.

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 March 2020, 07:20:37 pm »
Get an mt09, one with the suspension sorted, an ecu flash and an exhaust, it’s comfortable and great fun. Or if you want th3 wind protection, a tracer 900. Wheelies are addictive, even little crap ones.

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 April 2020, 07:54:52 pm »
Decision made!
The Fazer is currently in a stripped down state. Engine out, cleaned, rubbed down, etch primed and waiting for painting. Parts on order. 👍

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 April 2020, 08:28:47 pm »
At the moment, it’s not going to be a full restoration. Clearly that could change, once I start seeing how nice the painted bits look in comparison to the rest that hasn’t been touched.
Don’t want to go the whole hog really, because I’ll get too precious and won’t want to use it. Fairing is next to be taken off and repaired / repainted, after dropping it on some black ice a couple of years ago at low speed.
The rest of the paintwork is too good (imho) to do at the moment. Clearly, if we don’t get a great colour match, then this may have to be reconsidered.

CatalinU

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 April 2020, 08:51:08 pm »
That's a vise decision. Will follow this one :D

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 April 2020, 08:00:42 am »

Well done for coming this far, sometimes making the decision is just as hard as undertaking the project.

I think that the FZS is peerless among motorcycles, it's fast but oh so comfortable. I haven't found faster without sacrificing the comfort - so on that score they are worth restoring.

Having read the posts in this thread I have two comments:

- the nicer the condition of the bike in the garage the less tempting it is to ride it. My Fazer is cleaner than new and I manage somewhere between 500 and 900 miles a year on it, the roads must be dry and salt free and the weather good for the duration before I'll take it out. It becomes a luxury item rather than transport.

- there's little point in making the bike really nice without improving your 'less than perfect cleaning regime'. I find having decent music and a drink in the garage a very real help. A 'wet cloth / dry cloth wipe over' can take as little as 15 minutes, it's not onerous.
is it clean enough?

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 April 2020, 08:02:17 am »

While your top fairing is in paint it's a good opportunity to colour code your front mudguard extension.
is it clean enough?

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 17 April 2020, 07:54:31 pm »
Thanks for your comments chaps.

Fair point well made Blud about the cleaning regime. Must try harder! 🤗 I will definitely make more of an effort keeping on top of it once it’s finished.
I bought the bike off of the forum eight or so years ago and whilst I’ve had other bikes, (including an MT10) like you, I think the Fazer is a fantastic value, fast, versatile and comfortable bike.
Hadn’t thought about the front mudguard extender, thanks for the tip. I’ll give it some thought. Little concerned though that even a slight difference in colour might stick out like a sore thumb. Hadn’t planned at this time to do all of the paint, as everything  other than the scuffed fairing is in pretty good nick.

CatalinU

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 April 2020, 10:26:34 am »
Just don't live us like that, bombard us with pictures  :rollin

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 April 2020, 01:41:06 pm »
heres a couple of Pictures of the fairing damage and engine before...............

« Last Edit: 18 April 2020, 01:46:29 pm by SkidT »

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 April 2020, 01:49:05 pm »
Just a couple more....
« Last Edit: 18 April 2020, 02:32:06 pm by SkidT »

took

• Cager in Training
  • Rev it till the red bit and enjoy
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 April 2020, 05:42:26 pm »
I sold my Gen 1 in 2014 and bought an SX1000, sold it in 2017 and bought my old Gen 1 back😂
Owned over a hundred bikes and still going, bought my old Fazer 1000 back as should not have sold it in the first place

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 April 2020, 08:33:24 am »
I sold my Gen 1 in 2014 and bought an SX1000, sold it in 2017 and bought my old Gen 1 back😂

Thanks for the confirmation that I’m doing the right thing Took (for me anyway). Along with saving myself a fair few quid as well.

This is my third Gen1 over a period of about 17yrs and I’ve had this one for about 8yrs. I suspect it will be in my garage for many more years to come now.

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 May 2020, 07:41:50 pm »
Few more pics, albeit not of the best quality............. Engine went back in today. Wheels back from powder coating along with both stands.

Waiting on some parts now from Fowlers before the exhaust can go back on. 

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 May 2020, 07:43:31 pm »
last few....................

CatalinU

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike: