Date: 28-03-24  Time: 21:21 pm

Author Topic: Help Repairing My Beloved FZS  (Read 3071 times)

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
Help Repairing My Beloved FZS
« on: 22 January 2020, 06:33:01 am »
So I took the bike in for it's MOT. Passed without advisory.  She's a 2001 with just 10k on the clock and in immaculate condition.  Filled her up with petrol on way home and as I turn out the petrol station the arse end kicks out and she goes down on the left hand side. 

To say I'm devastated would be an understatement.

Damage sustained.

Alternator casing smashed.
Mirror Scuffed
Front Fairing Smashed
Front Indicator ripped off
Rear fairing scuffed
Bar end scuffed
Clutch Lever scuffed
Rear indicator scuffed
Gear pedal bent
Rear pillion peg bent
Tank dented and scuffed

I rang the insurance who wrote it off in an instant.  Initially I was happy with this as I had spat my dummy out and that was me done for biking.

I've calmed a little and have now put the recovery on hold whilst I assess the costs to repair.  It's looking promising but I'm stuck on a few bit and could do with some help.

1.  Are the parts from Wemoto genuine Yamaha parts.  They have the clutch lever, indicators and mirror.
2.  Has anybody fitted one of the front fairings from Ebay.  Comes from Poland.  Looks a good copy.
3.  Where can you but the plastic rivets that hold the front infil panels from?
4.  Anybody got a perfect rear left pillion peg?
5.  Likewise for a alternator cover although I can get a used one from Ebay and have it stripped and powder coated. 
6.  Can you get the metal screws the hold the front fairing to the frame near the petrol tank?
7.  Is there a company that can remove dents from petrol tanks?  It's similar to a car park trolley dink on a car door.  Think the handlebars caused it.

I'm basically throwing myself at the mercy of you all to help me through and get her back to normal. 

Advice getting the front nose cone off would be useful too.  I think I'm nearly there but is there a guide on here somewhere?
« Last Edit: 22 January 2020, 06:34:39 am by Middy2000 »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Help Repairing My Beloved FZS
« Reply #1 on: 22 January 2020, 11:06:56 am »
Personally I would not replace things that are scuffed and the bent things - bend em back. Which only leaves the alternator cover to replace and Front Fairing and Indicator. I would probably also live with the dent in the tank. 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 January 2020, 11:49:28 am »
I can't pal, I feel I owe her it to put everything back as it was.  She was absolutely mint. 

I'm even being anal about the alternator cover as I can buy a brand new one but it's not branded Yamaha.  Hence I'm prepared to refurb one.

My only issue is I can't presently remove the remainder of the cover from the stator.  Seems to be held on with 3 bolts.  One of which the head is knackered.  Have to use some creativity in removing that.
I'm now stressing about finding a replacement allen bolt for that. 

I think all things considered it'll cost around £400 to put right.  An expensive incident but small fry compared to others misfortune and I came out completely unscathed personally.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 January 2020, 12:02:48 pm »

My only issue is I can't presently remove the remainder of the cover from the stator.  Seems to be held on with 3 bolts.  One of which the head is knackered.  Have to use some creativity in removing that.
Don't worry about that because this forum is full of experts at removing 20 year old rounded nuts screws and bolts and someone will be a long shortly to advise there.

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 January 2020, 03:44:27 pm »
I'm confident it'll come off. It's not seized so can probably sort it using a set of mole grips or something like. 

This is the first port of call.  I've a mechanic mate coming round Saturday to diagnose things further.  At the minute the noise from the bike is horrendous but I think it is because the alternator cover is missing it is allowing all the engine noise to escape.  The bike seems to start and idle as it should.

Zark

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 600 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 January 2020, 04:34:56 pm »
ebay is terrific for small numbers of various fasteners.
search 'allen bolts,' and measure the length of one you've taken out. Similarly for the fairing fasteners - most stuff will be M4 or M6 thread.

While it's gutting - just think of it as an opportunity to refresh some stuff!

[/size][size=78%] [/size]

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 January 2020, 05:23:35 pm »
I can't pal, I feel I owe her it to put everything back as it was.  She was absolutely mint. 

I'm even being anal about the alternator cover as I can buy a brand new one but it's not branded Yamaha.  Hence I'm prepared to refurb one.

I think all things considered it'll cost around £400 to put right.  An expensive incident but small fry compared to others misfortune and I came out completely unscathed personally.

Allen screws can sometimes be removed by tapping a torx bit into the socket, and using that to screw the screw out. You want the size thats cuts into the sides of the socket as you tap it in

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 January 2020, 05:26:38 pm »
Thanks for that.  Like I say I'm confident it'll come out.  I'd not really made a decent attempt at it before posting this as I'm still at the trauma stage everytime I go in the garage.

The main focus is whether the nose fairings from Ebay are any good.  That's the bulk of the cost to repair what with the spraying. 

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 January 2020, 05:41:11 pm »
I'd go for good used parts off ebay but you can get genuine parts here https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 January 2020, 08:24:36 pm »
Bolt removed from stator and the broken casing is now in the bin.

I've left the stator connected and just hanging loose.  The bike no longer starts.  Is there some form of ignition pick up within the stator that might prevent this?

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 January 2020, 08:33:09 pm »
The pickup coil is beside the stator. It has a white dot on it in this picture.

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 January 2020, 09:25:59 pm »
Thanks for that.  That's presently unscrewed from the casing but still connected to the wiring harness.  Would this prevent it starting?  I guess it's not earthed as I've got it.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 January 2020, 09:46:02 pm »
Thanks for that.  That's presently unscrewed from the casing but still connected to the wiring harness.  Would this prevent it starting?  I guess it's not earthed as I've got it.
Yea without the pickup coil there would be no signal sent to the ignitor to tell it when to fire the spark plugs so no spark. It has earth. It has two wires one is earth the other one is the signal wire back to the ignitor. It needs to be bolted into the engine cover to create the signal at the right time as the rotor spins past it

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 January 2020, 09:54:38 pm »
Perfect answer.  That explains everything. 

Many thanks. 

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 February 2020, 07:37:07 pm »
So I got a used cover off Ebay.

It was a bit scuffed and battle scarred.  Had it refurbed.

Fitted it and bingo, everything is normal.  Bike fired up straight away and all the issues around excess noise has gone which confirms that I've got away with purely cosmetic damage.

Bought a new front fairing and had it sprayed along with the damage to the rear fairing patched up. 
New indicators, wing mirrors, bar ends, clutch lever and decals to be fitted and fingers crossed she's as good as new.

Only slight issue is the front fairing has been sprayed completely silver on the inside and I'm not sure I like it.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 17 February 2020, 09:36:43 am »
Good result  :D
Later

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 February 2020, 11:20:10 am »

Only slight issue is the front fairing has been sprayed completely silver on the inside and I'm not sure I like it.
Not sure what you mean there - owning a black bike my fairing is black on the inside, are other colour  :faz fairing also black on the inside then ?

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 February 2020, 11:56:02 am »

Not sure what you mean there - owning a black bike my fairing is black on the inside, are other colour  :faz fairing also black on the inside then ?

My blue foxeye is sprayed blue inside the fairing not left black

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 February 2020, 12:02:29 pm »

98 Fazer in red is black inside fairing also.

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 February 2020, 12:32:44 pm »
Original was black plastic inside. The new one was black as standard but I didn't actually tell the sprayer to leave it like that and to be fair it was easier to do the whole lot rather than mask it off. Probably won't see much once it's fitted.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #20 on: 18 February 2020, 09:56:52 am »
can you show a picture of the petrol tank ding ?
i might have some rear pegs and hangers in the shed- will have a look later on (might be a new clutch cable aswell)
i had a bit of a tidy up last month and a lot of things got thrown out but im sure i would have kept them for this reason

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 February 2020, 01:38:49 pm »
I'll take a picture. It's small in reality. Spoke to the sprayer and he said it'll fill and blend in when he sprays the scratch.

Rear peg would be great.

Can anyone advise which fixing goes where for tail fairing. The wife kindly moved the fixings into one pile thinking she was being helpful.

I think the hex bolt goes in the side.
Silver screw underneath towards rear and plastic rivet underneath near petrol tank?

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 February 2020, 04:24:54 pm »
I'll take a picture. It's small in reality. Spoke to the sprayer and he said it'll fill and blend in when he sprays the scratch.

Rear peg would be great.

Can anyone advise which fixing goes where for tail fairing. The wife kindly moved the fixings into one pile thinking she was being helpful.

I think the hex bolt goes in the side.
Silver screw underneath towards rear and plastic rivet underneath near petrol tank?

Your fixings question is correct.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #23 on: 18 February 2020, 07:31:25 pm »
cant find the pegs/hangers anywhere unfortunatly i must have thrown them out on my last cleaning spree
sods law someone needs them straight after throwing them out when been sat in a box for about 2 years

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 February 2020, 08:25:07 pm »
No worries, thanks for looking. The hanger is fine and the peg has only minor scrapes.

Thanks for clarification on the fixings. Probably be in same boat when it comes to the front fairing although I've left most of those fixings on the frame.

I can see I'll either have one bolt left over or be one short.  :lol