Date: 28-03-24  Time: 16:44 pm

Author Topic: What have you done to your FZS600 bike today  (Read 198035 times)

psyfi_1

• Weekend Warrior
  • bikes bikes bikes
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - main
    • View Profile
Re: What have you done to your FZS600 bike today
« Reply #700 on: 07 May 2018, 10:15:27 pm »
finished painting the fairings  today first time i have tried........ with cans could have done  a better job but owell learn for next time lol

Farmboy81

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: 08 May 2018, 09:23:01 am »
Did the harpic trick to my downpipes after work on Friday (been a hectic bank holiday so haven't had a chance to post before)

Just need to drop them off and have a go with the autosol when I get the time.

redmandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: 08 May 2018, 10:01:32 am »
Hey Farmboy are those your original downpipes?!?! They look fantastic. Can you detail the process a little and how you're gonna treat the metal after?

Farmboy81

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: 08 May 2018, 10:51:40 am »
Hi Redmandan,

They're not the orginals, previous owner had them fitted 3-4 years ago (i think, have the receipt at home somewhere).

But yeah, harpic (specifically the black bottle "Power Plus MAX 10") does an amazing job with almost no effort at all.

A quick google will show you loads of vids on youtube but basically you just squeeze some out into a jam jar or saucer, get a standard plastic bristle paint brush (1" works well) and just paint it on then go back over and agitate it, give it a quick rub over with whatever you have handy (kitchen sponge is good, had blue roll to hand though) and then rinse it all off and stand back to admire!

I didn't take before and after pics as they weren't too bad, just discoloured. See below from when i did my old er-5 (RIP) last year.

Below is the comparison from my old er-5 (RIP)

redmandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: 08 May 2018, 12:10:48 pm »
Ah I see, I have the original powder coated downpipes and they are beginning to show their age.

I would like some new stainless ones but there is quite a long list of things I want for the bike, and as the wife keeps reminding me: the bike is 20 years old and I have much better things to yadda yadda

Farmboy81

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: 08 May 2018, 12:58:47 pm »
Tell me about it! My missus complained that I was spending £2.19 on toilet cleaner "just" for the bike.

She does agree that the pipes look very pretty now, although she's put it down to witchcraft rather than chemistry....  :lol

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #706 on: 08 May 2018, 06:54:07 pm »
She does agree that the pipes look very pretty now, although she's put it down to witchcraft rather than chemistry....  :lol
witchcraft =Double, double toil and trouble;Fire burn and downpipes bubble.chemistry =[/size]Double, double toil and trouble;Fire burn and caldron bubble.pretty sure its the same thing and eye of newt is great for rust removal

Wharfe

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: 11 May 2018, 11:50:55 am »
Took bike for MOT - passed, no surprises there. What did raise my eyebrows was the tester's comment that on entering my VIN on the MOT computer it auto-completed for a VIN he'd put in a couple or three weeks ago, just 2 digits different from mine. He said he remembered having a foxeye fazer in, it had obviously been the one before the one before mine, off the Yamaha production line. For bikes that are 16 odd years old, and mine has been through dealers and owners all round the country (starting in Edinburgh I think) since new, that's some coincidence no?
So if you have a Fazer with VIN ending 5526 and you used Archies in Baildon recently for your MOT, er, Hi!- Small world eh?

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: 13 May 2018, 05:52:37 pm »
Balanced the carbs, filled the bars with silicone to reduce vibrations and swapped over two of the coil wires which I had the wrong way around after having the engine out a couple years ago, not sure it makes any difference that I could feel or hear. Carbs weren't far out but now they're really well balanced!

Took her out for a little test ride after the balancing only to break half a mile down the road, can anyone guess why?

Congratulations to those who guessed right! Forgot to turn the fuel tap back on  :lol 
Unfortunately I had left my extra mini tool kit with the correct hex key for the fuel tank at home but thankfully after stripping off all my motorcycle gear and a little panic as I couldn't believe I'd be so daft to leave the tap off I eventually managed to undo the bolt with the OEM tool kit's pliers.

After turning the tap back on I carried on my way to Chepstow to do the wye valley road (lovely road!) but the M48 bridge was closed so came home again :'(

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: 13 May 2018, 06:22:40 pm »
Balanced the carbs, filled the bars with silicone to reduce vibrations and swapped over two of the coil wires which I had the wrong way around after having the engine out a couple years ago, not sure it makes any difference that I could feel or hear. Carbs weren't far out but now they're really well balanced!

Took her out for a little test ride after the balancing only to break half a mile down the road, can anyone guess why?

Congratulations to those who guessed right! Forgot to turn the fuel tap back on  :lol 
Unfortunately I had left my extra mini tool kit with the correct hex key for the fuel tank at home but thankfully after stripping off all my motorcycle gear and a little panic as I couldn't believe I'd be so daft to leave the tap off I eventually managed to undo the bolt with the OEM tool kit's pliers.

After turning the tap back on I carried on my way to Chepstow to do the wye valley road (lovely road!) but the M48 bridge was closed so came home again :'(

Your not the only one TIGGERGEE  :o .............did you notice any difference with the silicone filled bars ?
One, is never going to be enough.....

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: 13 May 2018, 09:08:58 pm »
Possibly difficult to say 100% but I would say yes it does feel like the vibrations have been dampened and other than between maybe 5,500-6,500 rpm (motorway cruising speed...) when the whole bike is buzzing like an electric sander it's quite smooth especially at over 100mph, 120mph it's comparable to a Rolls Royce or at least what I'd imagine one feels like as I've never been in one. The bar end I've got are different weights though so that may not help. I'll be filling my fazer thou with silicone too as I think I'm happy with the results and for £1.90 for the silicone there's no reason not to.

reaper1064

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: 23 May 2018, 10:32:51 pm »
Took the wee beasty for it's M.O.T, another easy pass I'm glad to say.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: 25 May 2018, 05:56:38 am »
erm in last two weeks you dont want to know - but its sat in back yard waiting for new calipers (so not going to the spring meet by looks of it)

Gabrael72

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: 26 May 2018, 08:55:17 am »
Fitted new radiator guard from Beowolf, had both wheels rebalanced then attached reflective tape to wheels.

Farmboy81

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: 26 May 2018, 03:43:45 pm »
Not what I did, but still what happened: Got a call from the garage telling me that both fork stanchions are bent (I knew one was, which is what it's in for), which has now pushed the bill up to about £450  :'(
« Last Edit: 26 May 2018, 03:50:10 pm by Farmboy81 »

Spiffle

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: 01 June 2018, 11:04:17 pm »
Changed the H4 and position lights from Halogen to LED (Well, half of it so far).

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: 02 June 2018, 08:36:36 am »
new calipers went on WHOOP - then blew a hole in my rad - i love her and hate her at the same time (just like the ex)

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: 02 June 2018, 12:31:44 pm »
Nuts. I posted in the wrong section...
Please delete this  :lol
« Last Edit: 02 June 2018, 12:41:47 pm by Hugh Mungus »

reaper1064

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: 07 June 2018, 10:36:44 pm »
Took her to Norton bike night.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: 09 June 2018, 03:32:14 am »
had it stolen - i wish i was joking.
will still hang around and answer anything i can

reaper1064

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: 09 June 2018, 08:42:14 am »
Bloody hell mate sorry to hear that, hope the bastards crash and die in a fire ball. Too much of this going on.

daviee

« Reply #721 on: 09 June 2018, 09:29:45 am »
Changed the H4 and position lights from Halogen to LED (Well, half of it so far). just remember they are now mot failures as you can only use halogen bulbs in the original reflectors

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: 09 June 2018, 12:15:11 pm »
Bloody hell mate sorry to hear that, hope the bastards crash and die in a fire ball. Too much of this going on.

thats a bit harsh REAPER    :eek .........wishing accident and fire damage to a fellow foccers pride and joy......

sorry to hear this punk , hope you get the bike back ......
One, is never going to be enough.....

daviee

« Reply #723 on: 09 June 2018, 03:31:04 pm »
sorry to hear that mate

Wharfe

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: 09 June 2018, 08:42:45 pm »

Ohhh the bastards. Absolute sickener, been there and share your pain. They deserve any amount of harm and pain. Really. Foccin' scum...