Date: 29-03-24  Time: 05:26 am

Author Topic: Spark plug drain holes  (Read 3219 times)

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Spark plug drain holes
« on: 19 December 2018, 01:49:53 pm »
Hey all,

My '03 lives outside on the side stand meaning plugs 3 and 4 are always getting a soaking.  I had a lumpy start today, checked and the plugs were almost submerged in water, I stuck a wire up the drain hole in the fins and it seemed to go dead straight as far as the plug...but still no water was draining out.

1) What's the best way of clearing the drain holes, it looks like loads of grit and mud is also in there....i'll probably have to get a hose on it.
2) How does plug 3 connect to the drain hole in the fins, is there a hole from plug 3 to plug 4 or does the drain hole loop round to plug 3?

Cheers..Buzz
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Spark plug drain holes
« Reply #1 on: 19 December 2018, 04:39:47 pm »
There is a hole from 3 to 4.  It doesn't take much to block the holes, an airline down the side of the plug can often clear it, or a hose blasted down there can shift it blockage.

If possible park the bike on the centre stand. I think some people have made a cover out of plastic or metal to divert water and leaves or other rubbish from disappearing down the park plug holes when the bike is parked

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 December 2018, 04:44:05 pm »

By coincidence I'm also trying to clean up the top of a 50,000 mile FZS600 motor.
The drain hole continues in a straight line through the outer plug well to the inner.
This means that Plug 1 (4) needs to be out in order the clear the hole all the way to Plug 2 (3)… so debris and water from the inner plug well will drop into the now open outer plug hole.
I'd done a reasonable job of blowing all the loose muck out of the way before starting and now have plug 1 out. Despite the cleaning there is a lot of dirt that didn't shift and is poised around the hole. I plan to get the vacuum cleaner on it tomorrow to stop that gritty crap landing on top of the piston and then find a way to temporarily block the hole. I guess cutting the top off a spare 10mm bolt and then putting a slot in it will do the job.
« Last Edit: 21 December 2018, 01:06:04 pm by Fazerider »

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 December 2018, 09:59:29 pm »
Foc! There's a drain hole! :eek
You live and learn, can someone stick up a pick, the old eyeballs aren't as keen as they used to be.

Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 December 2018, 10:26:57 pm »
Water goes down the hole in the head next to each plug & out here, under third fin each side. 

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 December 2018, 11:54:54 pm »
This time of year i always drench the leads and that area in WD40, never had any issues before with that.
Good blast with an airline or can of air into the hole upwards is the best way to clear anything.
Even more important is to blast the area with air before removing plugs, so you don't get any shite falling into the plug holes.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 December 2018, 07:59:54 am »
Cheers gents this is now on my agenda, had a devil of a job changing the plugs last dime due to debris down where the plug go in.
She runs a bit lumpy first thing in cold wet mornings always though it was just because the engine was cold. 
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 December 2018, 10:43:01 am »
This time of year i always drench the leads and that area in WD40, never had any issues before with that.
Good blast with an airline or can of air into the hole upwards is the best way to clear anything.
Even more important is to blast the area with air before removing plugs, so you don't get any shite falling into the plug holes.

Hear hear!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 December 2018, 12:30:28 pm »
Cheers gents this is now on my agenda, had a devil of a job changing the plugs last dime due to debris down where the plug go in.
She runs a bit lumpy first thing in cold wet mornings always though it was just because the engine was cold.

How old are the plugs?
I much prefer the Iridium plugs in my bike, I do notice a big difference, and they're not that much more expensive if you look around, plus they'll last longer anyway so no real money loss.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 December 2018, 07:45:35 am »

How old are the plugs?
I much prefer the Iridium plugs in my bike, I do notice a big difference, and they're not that much more expensive if you look around, plus they'll last longer anyway so no real money loss.

Yeah they're due a change next service which will be in Feb just before the old girl goes for an mot. I've always used the cr8e's but I'll give the irridiums a go this time as a treat now she's reached 50K  :)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 December 2018, 02:02:01 pm »

How old are the plugs?

Yeah they're due a change next service which will be in Feb just before the old girl goes for an mot. I've always used the cr8e's but I'll give the irridiums a go this time as a treat now she's reached 50K  :)

Make sure you buy from a reputable place as one set i bought online started failing after  about a month.
Just keep checking online for any deals that might be going on.

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 December 2018, 04:44:50 pm »
+1
I bought a set off ebay and one started failing, replaced 2 plug cap/ coil assemblies at a cost of £250 quid before I found out.
Apparently there are fake plugs out there, I had no idea.
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 December 2018, 06:40:59 pm »
As said above, use the centre stand and give the whole area a good blast with wd-40 straw periodically.

When my bike used to sit outside, on the sidestand for long periods of time, i was changing spark plug 3 every 6months, Because they were corroding.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 January 2019, 09:49:17 am »

Lack of time meant I only got back to this yesterday and only for a couple of hours.
I’d ordered a 10mm x 1mm tap which extracted an astonishing amount of grit from the plug hole. That explains why it needed so much torque to get the plug out… I was surprised it didn’t shear off.
With the plug hole blocked off to stop debris dropping in it was then possible to clear the drain hole between the two plug wells. No way would an air line have done the job, the passage was stuffed with tight packed oily grit and needed a long drill bit to dig it all out.
Still have to persuade plug 2 to come out in one piece then I can clean out that thread... and then there's the right hand half of the engine, which is likely to be worse.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 January 2019, 06:55:33 pm »

Lack of time meant I only got back to this yesterday and only for a couple of hours.
I’d ordered a 10mm x 1mm tap which extracted an astonishing amount of grit from the plug hole. That explains why it needed so much torque to get the plug out… I was surprised it didn’t shear off.
With the plug hole blocked off to stop debris dropping in it was then possible to clear the drain hole between the two plug wells. No way would an air line have done the job, the passage was stuffed with tight packed oily grit and needed a long drill bit to dig it all out.
Still have to persuade plug 2 to come out in one piece then I can clean out that thread... and then there's the right hand half of the engine, which is likely to be worse.
The right side will most likely be worse. The bike leans to the left on the side stand so the left side of the engine points down and has a chance to drain whereas the right side points up so all the rain water and dirt collects on that side around the spark plugs. Take your time when you're undoing those plugs and clean the area as best you can. Sometimes working the plugs in and out with a bit of oil helps to clear the threads

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 January 2019, 10:57:40 pm »

The right side will most likely be worse. The bike leans to the left on the side stand so the left side of the engine points down and has a chance to drain whereas the right side points up so all the rain water and dirt collects on that side around the spark plugs. Take your time when you're undoing those plugs and clean the area as best you can. Sometimes working the plugs in and out with a bit of oil helps to clear the threads

Yes, I’ve left a mixture of oil and WD40  soaking plug 2 which I only managed to shift by half a turn before my courage ran out. The force needed to move it that far was alarming.
On the upside, it was a pleasure to screw plug 1 into its lovely clean hole: smooth and easy all the way in. :b
I wish Yamaha had drilled independent drain holes for plugs 2 & 3, the fact that the outermost plugs are in the way makes clearing the passageways very difficult. I bet practically every FZS600 out there (apart from Fazersharp’s) has them blocked.
Even better, of course, would be if Yamaha had devised a seal that completely closed the area off from rain and dirt.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 January 2019, 11:53:42 pm »

Yes, I’ve left a mixture of oil and WD40  soaking plug 2 which I only managed to shift by half a turn before my courage ran out. The force needed to move it that far was alarming.
On the upside, it was a pleasure to screw plug 1 into its lovely clean hole: smooth and easy all the way in. :b
I wish Yamaha had drilled independent drain holes for plugs 2 & 3, the fact that the outermost plugs are in the way makes clearing the passageways very difficult. I bet practically every FZS600 out there (apart from Fazersharp’s) has them blocked.
Even better, of course, would be if Yamaha had devised a seal that completely closed the area off from rain and dirt.

Even one of those rubber piss flaps covering the right side, as well as the front, would no doubt be a major help in stopping rust, blockages, etc.
Would have to be cosmetically easy on the eye of course, so an extension of the fairing would've sufficed too.
Obviously all avoided by using the centre stand, but not entirely practical in comparison.

TOM VR46

• DAS Born Again
  • NEW TO FAZER FORUM
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 February 2019, 08:41:55 pm »

Wee question . My drain holes on right side of engine are clear :) . On the left , problem. I can only get past spark plug one , then only about 8 - 10mm through to spark plug 2 and then its SOLID  :eek . And I mean SOLID , I cant get through at all. And I only have standard drill bits of 6mm which are not long enough. Any ideas of what is stopping me getting through? I was at one point tapping with a pointed steel pin which used to be an old screw driver , then scrapped a bit but nothing comeing out or me getting through. Puzzled once again.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03 February 2019, 09:14:06 pm »
It would be shite that has gone down the hole, so i'm guessing you should be trying to clear it by pushing it upwards maybe?

TOM VR46

• DAS Born Again
  • NEW TO FAZER FORUM
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 February 2019, 10:00:18 pm »
It would be shite that has gone down the hole, so i'm guessing you should be trying to clear it by pushing it upwards maybe?

Thanks for reply. Was actually trying to tap an old screw driver which I have grinded down to a point into it, but it was solid. Think I may have to see if I can get longer 6mm drill bit, as I don't wont to be hitting it to hard and doing some damage. Only decided to do left side as it caught a bit of water on the right but right side was a quick fix, not like this left side. Didn't expect it to be so hard.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 February 2019, 11:19:03 pm »
Could try spraying a load of WD40 in that direction and see if it softens things up, at least it won't do any harm.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 February 2019, 09:42:16 am »

HSS bits of that length are hard to find.
I had a pack of extra long masonry bits which I’d bought ages ago in a poundshop. The shaft of the “6mm” one was 190mm long, but tungsten carbide head was too wide. So I just hacksawed that off and used a round needle file to deepen the flute at the tip.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 February 2019, 10:39:55 am »
The metal inserts from traditional wiper blades also prove to be very useful and I always keep them when changing blades. Can be used as a good retrieval tool!

TOM VR46

• DAS Born Again
  • NEW TO FAZER FORUM
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04 February 2019, 04:04:39 pm »
Tried soaking in WD40 last night but still solid today. Think I had some old masonry drill bits. Will have to have a look. Was also thinking of cutting grove into steel pin ive got, and putting that into drill. But this will have to wait till the weekend again as im working nights.