Date: 18-04-24  Time: 11:41 am

Author Topic: A question for the FOC-U Moderators  (Read 2210 times)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
A question for the FOC-U Moderators
« on: 20 July 2020, 11:33:59 pm »
Two threads have vanished.

Not moved, but apparently permanently deleted since my account no longer even lists any posts from those threads.

There was no requests to tone things down, there were no warnings, there was no locking of the threads to give people a "Time Out".

The threads have just been deleted.

I (and, I'm sure, others) would be interested to know who did this and whether the decision made unilaterally.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
Re: A question for the FOC-U Moderators
« Reply #1 on: 21 July 2020, 10:05:13 am »
 :agree

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 July 2020, 10:39:19 am »
@mtread, how does that help?
@grahamm, it might help if you can remember the post titles and what section you posted them in.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 21 July 2020, 11:07:10 am »
@grahamm, it might help if you can remember the post titles and what section you posted them in.
I know the threads and I deleted them. They started off well but in recent weeks had gone way off track with a lot of infighting and accusations etc. Being the only one of the mods that seems to be on the board regularly, I took the decision to just delete them with no consultation with the others. I don't have time to constantly go through all the threads to delete content etc and this was the quick simple solution even if it did mean upsetting a few people.
Others had complained, rightly so, so threads gone.

I try to let this forum self police itself but sometimes things go too far. These two threads are an example of that.

If anyone wants to volunteer as a mod, let me know. The more the merrier.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 July 2020, 06:43:02 pm »
I think a warning should have been issued.  The Covid19 thread had sadly become particulary nasty over the last few days.

Then again I don't expect Mr BBROWN to sit down and wade through all that crap.  So I don't blame him for just deleting the lot.
That brings into question whether a bike forum should have political threads.  As I have pointed out time and time again I don't start such threads (well I did start one once, but that's not bad considering my lengthy membership).  However I'm minded to express my own view point if others express politcal viewpoints I do not agree with, particulary so if I consider them unreasonable.

So no fair enougth BBROWN.  Personally, I feel consideration needs to be given to banning all politcs from the forum, or shoving such off topic matters down the bottom of the forum listing where it's not right under everybodies noses.  At the end of the day people don't join a bike forum to discuss politics.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 July 2020, 07:15:18 pm »
As I have pointed out time and time again I don't start such threads (well I did start one once) However I'm minded to express my own view point if others express politcal viewpoints I do not agree with, particulary so if I consider them unreasonable.

Do you ever just re-read what you write and think....My God, that makes me look like a contradictory, hypocritical, argumentative, arrogant,oblivious  w#nker  :lol

Well done BBrown. Thanks. For the  invite to become a mod. When do we start the cull ? :b
I've got 4 lined up  :D

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 July 2020, 08:13:02 pm »
That's it dazza. Turn this thread into another one that'll be taken down  :rolleyes

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 July 2020, 08:18:42 pm »
Yup Dazza that's exactly the kind of behaviour that gets threads locked and/or deleted.   

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 July 2020, 09:00:02 pm »
I think it was the right thing to do. No other forum I've ever been apart of has allowed political threads and for good reason.
People were starting to get very bitter towards one another which is a shame as we are all here to share our common interest in bikes and there are some fantastic members here who go out of their way to help others.

I hope the animosity between certain members will now start to dissipate. I think if the last 4 months have taught me anything its that some things in life are bad, they can really make you mad. Other things just make you swear and curse
When you're chewing on life's gristle don't grumble, give a whistle and this'll help things turn out for the best and.......

Fazian

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 July 2020, 09:26:52 pm »
This was a great idea! I didn't contribute much to those particular threads but always viewed them and, as already mentioned, were getting quite nasty and personal.

I'm now looking at older threads with interesting pointers and advice and enjoying the forum more.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 July 2020, 09:32:15 pm »

I think if the last 4 months have taught me anything its that some things in life are bad, they can really make you mad. Other things just make you swear and curse
When you're chewing on life's gristle don't grumble, give a whistle and this'll help things turn out for the best and.......

......always look on the Right side of life :guitar :lol

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 July 2020, 09:37:58 pm »

I hope the animosity between certain members will now start to dissipate. I think if the last 4 months have taught me anything its that some things in life are bad, they can really make you mad. Other things just make you swear and curse
:lol

I think if the last 4 months have taught me anything its that some things in life are bad, they can really make you mad. Other things just make you swear and curse

......always look on the Right side of life :guitar :lol
:rollin

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 July 2020, 10:00:59 pm »
Well done BBrown. Thanks. For the  invite to become a mod. When do we start the cull ? I've got 4 lined up 

Let's be frank dazza. Making you a moderator would be like putting a toilet attendant in charge of a cake shop  :lol

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 July 2020, 12:04:57 pm »
You want to pray it doesn't happen then because this toilet attendant will eradicate all  the germs then go on to bake a lovely Victoria sponge   :b
« Last Edit: 22 July 2020, 12:12:21 pm by dazza »

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 July 2020, 09:17:25 pm »
good call bbrown. Im with dudeofrude, onward and upward :)

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 July 2020, 09:33:58 pm »
And I'm with Dudeofrude, Fazian & ogri48. Looks like you're out on your own in wanting the contentious, divisive political threads retained Grahamm :pokefun
« Last Edit: 28 July 2020, 09:34:48 pm by YamFazFan »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 July 2020, 07:11:52 pm »
And I'm with Dudeofrude, Fazian & ogri48. Looks like you're out on your own in wanting the contentious, divisive political threads retained Grahamm
And I agree with Dude too, and Graham.  Maybe try to make your point without having a go at another member YamFazFan.
To quote the Dude.
People were starting to get very bitter towards one another which is a shame as we are all here to share our common interest in bikes and there are some fantastic members here who go out of their way to help others.

The problem is the very people who start politcal threads on say, bike forums, are the very same people who then spit the dummy out and get upset when others express an opposing view.  Also those with extreme views rarely like having their views questioned, and rather than enter into reasoned debate they then get personal.

As has been proven time and time again here on foc-u, that numerous members cannot play nice when it comes to politcal discussion, then is it not about time, and yeah taking into account that this is a bike forum, that politcal threads and debate are finally banned here.

I had previously thought that maybe a politics section should be set up in the Naughty Corner.  But then I finally adjusted my profile settings and had a look in the naughty corner, and wondered what the foc is all that shite doing there anyway.  Profile back to normal.
My suggestion is ban politics - outright.  And delete The Naughty Corner.  Clean this place up.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 July 2020, 08:09:15 pm »

And I'm with Dudeofrude, Fazian & ogri48. Looks like you're out on your own in wanting the contentious, divisive political threads retained Grahamm
And I agree with Dude too, and Graham. 

Eh?. Dudeofrude is opposed to the political threads and Grahamm's complaining that they disappeared. You just said you wanted politics banned from here. How can you be in agreement with both of them?. A politician would be proud of that statement :lol

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 July 2020, 08:56:10 pm »
Eh?. Dudeofrude is opposed to the political threads and Grahamm's complaining that they disappeared. You just said you wanted politics banned from here. How can you be in agreement with both of them?. A politician would be proud of that statement
Read what Grahamm posted. 
out on your own in wanting the contentious, divisive political threads retained
And maybe refrain from putting words in others folks mouths.

In the meantime, I've said ma bit - I'm done with this thread.