Date: 28-03-24  Time: 13:29 pm

Author Topic: tyre plugs  (Read 1447 times)

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
tyre plugs
« on: 23 May 2019, 11:04:26 pm »
Okay so the rear tyre gets a puncture, I only purchased it 3 months ago and it's probably done less than 1500 miles.  :'(
I've pulled a nail out of the tread and plugged it, clean puncture- easy fix with one of those kits. All's well as it's got me home safely.
Now the tyre pressures holding, What's the verdict? Should I get a new tyre asap or do I run it till it's ready for replacing? The bikes for commuting and as such I very rarely exceed 70 mph.

Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: tyre plugs
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2019, 12:22:35 am »
Run it until it needs replacing. Did about 2,500 miles on my last rear that I plugged. Got a puncture in my current rear last Saturday which I plugged and will run that until it's due to be changed. Watched a youtube clip about a tyre plugging product called Dynaplug, no glue or enlarging of the hole required. I'm happy with the kit I use, but it certainly was an interesting idea.

Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2019, 01:48:56 am »
What's the verdict? Should I get a new tyre asap or do I run it till it's ready for replacing?

Go to a friendly local tyre fitter and get them to take it off and have a check inside.

If necessary, get them to replace the "sticky string" with a proper mushroom plug or buy a new tyre, because whilst it may look like it's ok from the outside, there could be damage inside the carcass that isn't visible and could fail catastrophically without warning.

Spending a few quid to get it checked out is much better than taking a chance.

(This is paraphrasing advice from Russ of Russ' Tyres in Portsmouth who has around 30 years of experience and comes highly recommended by a lot of bikers down here :thumbup )

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2019, 06:02:04 am »
Another perspective, if you were unlucky enough to keep getting punctures every few days would you keep buying new tyres?
No.
You would get to the point where you would ride further and further and use up as much of the tyre as you can as it would become a financial nightmare otherwise.
If you were doing high speeds on a daily basis then that's most certainly a different prospect, but i've run a tyre down before on a plug with no issues although as you know my bike is mainly a commuter so i wasn't too worried anyway.
But as mentioned if the tyre's still in good shape with plenty of mileage left then a mushroom plug would be the way to go for peace of mind.
All the better if you can remove the wheel yourself and get it down to a proper fitter who deals regularly with bike tyres then it won't cost as much to get fixed. 
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2019, 07:47:10 am »
My puncture outfit is the Pocket Tyre Plugger, which uses mushroom style plugs. Not cheap, but it does work.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2019, 08:29:54 am »
Same for me Robbo.
A wicked little kit that works well and comes in a handy zipped pouch to carry around with you too.
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

dangerousdave

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2019, 09:38:11 am »
I'd put some tyre sealant in there as a backup!

Red Ceri

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 1260S MTS, Le Mans II, RD250C
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2019, 11:41:33 am »
I'm with Grahamm, off to my local tyre shop to check the tyre for any other damage and put a mushroom plug in it

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2019, 08:56:58 pm »
Got a screw in my rear yesterdaying evening, recovery guy one of those rivet type plugs in - solid as a rock upto 3 figures and now loss of pressure.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 May 2019, 04:33:36 pm »
Cheers to all for the tips and ideas, I've a 500 mile round trip to do next week so will defo get it checked over and hopefully get it plugged with a mushroom rather than the sticky string.
I'd have been more concerned if it was the front wheel or was close to the sidewall.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 May 2019, 04:48:59 pm »
I use the stringy ones and never had a problem but the ones that are a patch and you take the tyre off and pull them through are probably stronger. I'd guess that's what a tyre shop would use