Would you be willing to take a covid vaccine  

yes
35 (71.4%)
no
6 (12.2%)
Dont know
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: The Covid thread  (Read 70028 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: POLL Will you take the Vax
« Reply #25 on: 12 November 2020, 11:15:51 am »
Probably this vaccine will be similar to the so called flu vaccine, which only works 35% to 40% of the time,

Even if it does only work a third of the time, that would still have the positive benefit of reducing the R number and cause the number of cases to diminish, taking the pressure off the NHS.
It may help the NHS but I don't see how it is going to help society return to normal because the vulnerable people and the scared but not vulnerable will not trust still having a 66% chance of catching it. And if it turns out to only be 33% effective I don't see enough people taking it up. Especially if it needs a follow up jab a couple of weeks later and the first jab was a bad experience, long waits - a day off work ect. 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 12 November 2020, 02:05:37 pm »
Probably this vaccine will be similar to the so called flu vaccine, which only works 35% to 40% of the time, and that we are all being used as part of a great medical experiment. T
(As I understand it) the problem with the flu virus, is it's prepared well in advance. So they are predicting how flu will mutate the following winter. I believe for the Covid-19 vaccine, they have copied its genetic code, so it should be much more precise. Unless the Danish minks bugger it up of course...

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 12 November 2020, 02:08:06 pm »
A day off work, or run a severe risk of dying. Tough decision....  :rolleyes

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #28 on: 12 November 2020, 05:57:17 pm »
I don't see how it is going to help society return to normal because the vulnerable people and the scared but not vulnerable will not trust still having a 66% chance of catching it.

Because at some point there will be a news story that there were no new COVID-19 cases reported today.

It may take a little longer than if the vaccine was 90% effective, but it will happen.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 12 November 2020, 07:22:42 pm »
I caught on the news yesterday that only 1 in 5 of the folk who should have isolated, did so. For sure, if I were govt, I would have done some things differetly, but the spread of the virus, in in the large part, due to the population and the lack of enforcement by those in authority.

Also, having worked in the pharma industry, I know how long it takes to go through the process of registering new drugs, or even to modify an existing one. Its the relatively short development time that causes me concern

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 13 November 2020, 12:42:50 pm »
Was in my local supermarket this morning and I was totally dismayed by the amount of people mainly women who were lifting items from the shelves , looking at them and replacing them, do they know that there's a friggin epidemic at the moment--stop doing this you friggin eejits, just stop it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 13 November 2020, 08:34:12 pm »

Also, having worked in the pharma industry, I know how long it takes to go through the process of registering new drugs, or even to modify an existing one. Its the relatively short development time that causes me concern
That's interesting. We are constantly told the reason new drugs cost so much is because the amount of time it takes to create a new one. So it looks to me either pharma drag their heels on purpose to increase drug price or this vaccine has not gone through the hoops it should.
As far as I can find out it has not been tested on the very vunerable that are first in line to get it.

Reading up on the vaccine I see that one or two of the executives in the company cashed in millions worth of shares on the day the vaccine apparent success was announced.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 13 November 2020, 08:37:45 pm »
Was in my local supermarket this morning and I was totally dismayed by the amount of people mainly women who were lifting items from the shelves , looking at them and replacing them, do they know that there's a friggin epidemic at the moment--stop doing this you friggin eejits, just stop it.

What gets me is that there are sanitizing stations on the way in to supermarkets but nothing on the way out.

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 16 November 2020, 01:14:42 pm »
I see the Scottish Government are looking for volunteers to test out the new Covid 19 vaccine, Can I nominate the whole of the Scottish Government ministers and the First Minister and her hubby to be the first volunteers for this experiment, it only seems fair to me.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 16 November 2020, 06:19:14 pm »

What gets me is that there are sanitizing stations on the way in to supermarkets but nothing on the way out.

Thats because they have no reason to look after you at that point. By then you've already spent your money and they couldn't care less what you do 🙄

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 17 November 2020, 10:23:14 am »
Agree totally.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 17 November 2020, 09:13:03 pm »
I keep an alcohol hand gel in the car, then wipe the door handles as well 

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 17 November 2020, 09:26:49 pm »
What gets me is that there are sanitizing stations on the way in to supermarkets but nothing on the way out.I bought a 5ltr tube and use it fill up little pocket bottles. The last thing I do is sanitize my hands, before I put my gloves on etc.

And regarding these stupid people touching things yeah its annoying, you can try and mitigate it when you get home but wiping thing down with antiseptic wipes. Or use a spray bottle and kitchen towl (this is a bit messy though). Fruit/veg etc get a clean in the sink with clean water.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 18 November 2020, 12:47:51 pm »
Its really annoying because before covid I always brought 2 ltr of alcohol IPA and used it in a spray bottle just for general cleaning around Sharp Halls kitchens then covid hit and the price went through the roof, luckily I had just brought a new supply which lasted me until the price came back down again in the summer.I get the 99.9% and dilute it 10% with water to eek it out a bit further.I also spray the shopping with it when I return to Sharp Hall.
Here's the thing - we are told that covid can stay on cardboard for upto 24 hours and hard surfaces for 72 hours, and yet we are told their is no issue with post or food, no one is talking about this. Sounds like a D notice to me.   

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 30 November 2020, 12:42:16 pm »
Yes I think that is going to be one of the biggest hurdles to a mass take up of any vaccination, people just do not trust this Government. I think we will see a mass advertising campaign using well known and loved celebrities.

Today's news - exactly as I said would happen. Infact almost word for word what I said --you can now see written in the Gardian

“NHS England are looking for famous faces, people who are known and loved. It could be celebrities who are very sensible and have done sensible stuff during the pandemic.” https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/nov/29/nhs-enlist-sensible-celebrities-coronavirus-vaccine-take-up
« Last Edit: 30 November 2020, 04:44:42 pm by fazersharp »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 04 December 2020, 12:07:03 pm »
I notice the BBC and Sky are laying into Anthony fauci over his remarks implying the UK has rushed its vax approval. This is the same Fauci that they are now calling stupid who they loved to quote ad nauseum as an expert when he was slagging off trump  :rolleyes     

The European Medicines Agency has also suggested British regulators prioritised speed over winning public confidence.
Sour grapes or do they have a point. Looking at the poll its running 9 yes and 9 no or don't know.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 04 December 2020, 02:06:22 pm »
Looking at the poll its running 9 yes and 9 no or don't know
Looks like a clear majority for 'yes' to me :rolleyes
If you could go around co-opting the 'don't knows', who knows what might have happened. We might still be in the EU  ;)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 04 December 2020, 02:37:31 pm »
Looking at the poll its running 9 yes and 9 no or don't know
Looks like a clear majority for 'yes' to me :rolleyes
If you could go around co-opting the 'don't knows', who knows what might have happened. We might still be in the EU  ;)
Well if you recall the EU vote based on the polls people thought remain would win but it looks like all those "don't knows" actually turned into Leave votes in the privacy of the voting booth.
Professional pollsters are learning that when asked there are people that dare not say their real opinions.
Look at the Trump vote this year It looked like Biden would walk it.

I have read that pollsters have identified “shy” Trump voters—people reluctant to share their opinions for fear of being judged. Could the same be said for what people say when asked about taking the vax for fear of being called an anti vaxer or unsociable, inconsiderate conspiracy theory nut jobs and so on, when they just have genuine fears.   

Some polsters I think are are now incorporating a "How do you think your friends and neighbors will vote?”—which some researchers believe makes it easier for people to share their true opinions without fear of being judged for their views.
« Last Edit: 04 December 2020, 04:36:20 pm by fazersharp »

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 04 December 2020, 05:03:58 pm »
As I said before, it normally takes 5 to 10 years to develop effective vaccines. It took 45 years for the Ebola vaccine. Because of the threat posed by Covid to economic structures as well as human life, processes have been ramped up worldwide, and I am concerned that the process of clinical trails as described in several worthy medical journals for vaccine development, which normally span the above mentioned time frame, cannot be compressed and retain its certainty. As yet, I'm not aware that any other medical governing body, apart from out own MHRA, has approved any vaccine for use yet in their own nations, or the WHO. Normal success rate for developed vaccines is 6%, and an ineffective vaccine could well make the situation worse. I sincerely hope that that the vaccines every success.

I'll wait for further developments before I take my shot(s)

Stay safe all

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #44 on: 04 December 2020, 05:22:00 pm »
More people spent more money on research for a Covid19 vaccine as it is more prevalent and deadly than Ebola and has the ability to stop thw world economy. If Ebola was as bad as Covid19, it would have been done within a year too.

Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 04 December 2020, 05:59:03 pm »
Perhaps this will be the way for all new vaccines instead of 10-20 year development. Its true that there has been a massive worldwide push and co operation not to mention money thrown at this.
 As far as I can tell it has only been tested on 20 thousand people for a few months.   
« Last Edit: 04 December 2020, 05:59:47 pm by fazersharp »

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 04 December 2020, 08:47:39 pm »
More people spent more money on research for a Covid19 vaccine as it is more prevalent and deadly than Ebola and has the ability to stop thw world economy. If Ebola was as bad as Covid19, it would have been done within a year too.

Death rate for Ebola is around 50% of infections. Mainly occurs in the less well developed nations, so unlikely to receive the same level of focus one suspects.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 04 December 2020, 10:21:45 pm »
As far as I can tell it has only been tested on 20 thousand people for a few months.   

That's what happens when you have 65 million cases worldwide and 1.5 million deaths so far.

Speed is important. Bring it on

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #48 on: 05 December 2020, 01:23:11 am »
Perhaps this will be the way for all new vaccines instead of 10-20 year development.

There have been massive changes to vaccine development and delivery systems in the past few years.

That, plus the billions that have been poured into the technology have been a real game-changer.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-vaccine-covid-treatment-latest-b1722683.html

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 05 December 2020, 10:21:52 am »
Yes looks like this "war" has advanced tech in a way that all was have done.Its still only been tested on 20,000 people as far as I can see.
 I treat it the same as whenever a new softwear update is released after beta testing once many 100's of thousands have downloaded it its only then that they find major problems and have to quickly release a patch, I never have my devices to auto update and I wait a few weeks first to see if people have had issues.