Date: 28-03-24  Time: 08:35 am

Author Topic: Winter gear recommendations  (Read 2490 times)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Winter gear recommendations
« on: 11 November 2019, 05:59:33 pm »
So I'm heading out to motorcycle live next week at the NEC with the intention of picking up some new gear. I've already got my eye on some new race gloves but my main focus is getting some better winter riding gear.
I'm looking for some decent
Waterproof, warm gloves
Waterproof textile trousers
Possibly one of the rain suits (if they are any good?)

I'm currently using An RST tundra jacket and RST textile bottoms, they do the job (just about) but wouldnt describe either as even water resistant

Ive not got the biggest budget in the world (probably about £500 in total) the gloves and rain suit are my main focus so just hoping to get some recommendations from any of your guys on what's decently priced and still good?

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Winter gear recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 11 November 2019, 06:42:12 pm »
The best rain suit in my opinion is the Scott Ergonomic Pro DP. The trousers come in black, the jacket in black or hi viz yellow. Trousers are very high waisted, and both are made of a stretchy material that doesn't flap about. Motolegends website has all the info on them. Approx £160 the pair, dear but they definetely work. Gloves wise, nothing will keep your hands warm unless they're heated, like Gerbing or Keis. For outright waterproofness they've got to be Goretex in my book. I'd look at Klim or Held. A good merino base layer will help you keep warm. Mountain Warehouse have 20% off using discount code FROST at present. Their long johns and long sleeved base layer are good which would be 20 quid each item with the discount.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 November 2019, 07:48:59 pm »
Tell you what I wouldn't do again,when I used to ride all year round I got some Frank Thomas one piece thermals,these were really good,warm,comfy,long enough but with one massive flaw,they were ok for a piss but if you were caught out for a number 2 what a performance, they had this flap in the back which was supposed to give you enough room to pull them down and do the business, I honestly thought mine had a fault with them and everytime I had to go I would end up taking my top clothes off and pulling the whole lot down! Luckily you're not caught out to many times wanting a poo on a bike which is just as well if you've got all in ones on! I can't speak for any other ones but those were a real pain in the arse,see what I did there? :lol
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 November 2019, 08:57:37 am »

If money’s tight I’d stick with what you currently have and add a waterproof overjacket and trousers. (Rainsuits are something I never got on with, too much of a struggle to get on and off.)
Flexothane is the material I look for, feels thin but is surprisingly tough and usually lasted me 4 or 5 winters-worth of commuting. Sioen is one brand that uses it, there may be others.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 November 2019, 01:30:07 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely take a look for some gortex gloves to start with. It I have actually been looking at the heated ones too. Cant remember which brand but they have a small lithium battery in the wrist then just recharges like a phone. Seems like a decent idea as I usually only need them for 30 odd mins at a time
As for the rain suit, I've heard good things about the Richa Typhoon and they are only around £60 but is an all in one so may have a look 🤔

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 November 2019, 02:15:03 pm »
A very cheap help is to cut a chest plate out of thin camping mat and fit it under your jacket, helps a lot. Also a kidney belt is good for keeping you warm. +1 for a long sleeve marino base layer, nice and thin too.   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 November 2019, 05:58:09 pm »
A cheaper option for waterproof overtrousers, if you don't mind camo, is to get some unissued goretex army bottoms. They come with a wide foot opening and a long zip, so getting over boots is easy. These are around the 35 quid mark. I have successfully used them for years both on the road, and riding trails. Only went for the Scott Ergos this year as they pack away easily and neatly.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 November 2019, 09:48:13 pm »
A cheaper option for waterproof overtrousers, if you don't mind camo, is to get some unissued goretex army bottoms. They come with a wide foot opening and a long zip, so getting over boots is easy. These are around the 35 quid mark. I have successfully used them for years both on the road, and riding trails. Only went for the Scott Ergos this year as they pack away easily and neatly.

Thanks for that idea, I have a fair few customers and family members currently serving so I dare say I could probably get some for nothing 🤫🤔

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #8 on: 12 November 2019, 10:04:45 pm »
I have actually been looking at the heated ones too. Cant remember which brand but they have a small lithium battery in the wrist then just recharges like a phone. Seems like a decent idea as I usually only need them for 30 odd mins at a time

I know someone who bought a set of the battery powered gloves because, like you, he said "Well I'll only need them for a short ride to work".

Until the time that he needed to go further and the battery ran out, giving him freezing fingers!

I have the Gerbing Heated Gloves. They may be a bit pricey, but they're well worth it :thumbup

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 November 2019, 10:31:18 pm »
Just been nosing around the internet a d stumbled upon this....

https://www.getgeared.co.uk/spada-stelvio-hydrologic-oversuit-wp-anthracite

Seems to be exactly what I've been after for a years. A textile suit with armour etc so you just wear normal clothes and step into it, then off you go 🤔

I've read a few review of it and they are all rather positive, especially about it effectiveness at keeping you dry. £299 but i have a £50 off voucher so £249 delivered... sounds too good to be true 🤔🤔🤔

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 November 2019, 10:41:31 pm »
I have actually been looking at the heated ones too. Cant remember which brand but they have a small lithium battery in the wrist then just recharges like a phone. Seems like a decent idea as I usually only need them for 30 odd mins at a time

I know someone who bought a set of the battery powered gloves because, like you, he said "Well I'll only need them for a short ride to work".

Until the time that he needed to go further and the battery ran out, giving him freezing fingers!

I have the Gerbing Heated Gloves. They may be a bit pricey, but they're well worth it :thumbup

Just had a look at them and to be fair they are cheaper than the battery ones I'm looking at Haha but I just don't like the idea of being hooked up to my bike in any way. Not only do I question what happens in an accident but on a far more concerning issue I wonder how much of a twat I'll look when I forgot to unplug myself when I walk away from the bike 😅

A rather cheap solution I've found is heated inner gloves (the very thin things) that I could just wear under a normal pair of bike gloves 🤔 they only cost around £30 and run off of aaa batteries (easy to carry spares) then I could spend more on a decent set of goretex gloves they would be useful with or without the heated ones

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 November 2019, 11:01:48 pm »
The Gerbing bike to jacket plug is just a simple male/female non locking jack plug. If you forgot to unplug and walked away it just pulls apart with no drama. Happened today actually, wasn't the first and won't be the last time that happens, usually when I'm distracted, which is very easy :lol .

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 November 2019, 11:44:31 pm »

If money’s tight I’d stick with what you currently have and add a waterproof overjacket and trousers. (Rainsuits are something I never got on with, too much of a struggle to get on and off.)
Flexothane is the material I look for, feels thin but is surprisingly tough and usually lasted me 4 or 5 winters-worth of commuting. Sioen is one brand that uses it, there may be others.

I had a hi-viz police type Flexothane jacket years ago.
That material is brilliant stuff.
And you stay the same temperature whether it's hot or cold outside.
Tear proof, flexible/stretchy, and waterproof too.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 November 2019, 06:41:00 am »
I find the best way of keeping warm and dry is my 4x4s heater and window wipers.  :D 

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 November 2019, 12:15:45 pm »
I just don't like the idea of being hooked up to my bike in any way. Not only do I question what happens in an accident but on a far more concerning issue I wonder how much of a twat I'll look when I forgot to unplug myself when I walk away from the bike 😅

It's a simple jack plug connection. If you forget about it (I've done it on a couple of occasions), it just pulls out.  It's not a big deal.

A rather cheap solution I've found is heated inner gloves (the very thin things) that I could just wear under a normal pair of bike gloves 🤔 they only cost around £30 and run off of aaa batteries (easy to carry spares) then I could spend more on a decent set of goretex gloves they would be useful with or without the heated ones

Sportbike Shop are doing Gerbing textile Gloves with the controller for £103.

The leather gloves I have are good even if I don't use the heating system. I paid extra for the variable temperature controller, but their standard Off/ Low/ High one is cheaper and you don't really need the precise control of the variable one.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/1766/(3;product_rating;DESC;0-0;all)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 November 2019, 12:39:39 pm »
I just don't like the idea of being hooked up to my bike in any way. Not only do I question what happens in an accident but on a far more concerning issue I wonder how much of a twat I'll look when I forgot to unplug myself when I walk away from the bike 😅

It's a simple jack plug connection. If you forget about it (I've done it on a couple of occasions), it just pulls out.  It's not a big deal.

Sportbike Shop are doing Gerbing textile Gloves with the controller for £103.

The leather gloves I have are good even if I don't use the heating system. I paid extra for the variable temperature controller, but their standard Off/ Low/ High one is cheaper and you don't really need the precise control of the variable one.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/1766/(3;product_rating;DESC;0-0;all)

They sound good but my only issue is the lack of armour/protection. I couldn't ride without a decent amount of armour on my hands (subliminal worries as I rely on my hands for a living)
I see they do fully armoured ones for a little bit more money but the reviews dont seem to be great 🤔

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 November 2019, 05:48:16 pm »
I'm using the XR12S(S as in short cuff which loses the battery pack option), had them 2 years now. I'd say the armour is satisfactory enough for a winter glove, and once you've got the hang of plugging yourself in I find you're not really aware of them being a bit different. On a cold day, you just don't give a thought to the comfort of your hands, just like on a summers day.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 November 2019, 09:34:16 pm »
I just got some of the new Gerbing gloves ie from the new range. Got the short cuff ones as I like my jacket sleeve over the glove so rain doesn't run down inside the glove. Design flaw means that the temp controllers on each glove end up under your jacket sleeve, not great seeing as it advertised as to go under your jacket sleeve.
Two days use and both gloves failed, replaced under warranty no questions asked but not a great start.

Other advise is if you don't want to get wet go Goretex.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 November 2019, 08:02:55 am »
Oh boy that's not good. By the sound of it the latest is not necessarily the best. Mine have the controller attached to the left side of your jacket, simple push button will scroll through the 4 heat ranges job done. Agree, winter gloves have always got to go inside the sleeve, to stop water running off your arm and wetting the inside of the glove. The opposite is the norm in the racing fraternity as gloves go over leathers to prevent gravel going up your sleeves, should it all go wrong.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 November 2019, 09:23:55 pm »
Well thanks for the suggestions guys
I'll keep my eye out at the bike show on monday and will hopefully find a decent deal on a set of gortex gloves or maybe even heated ones.

Think I'll take your advice and speak to my army mate about some waterproofs, seems like the sensible idea seeing as I already have decent kit to wear underneath it  👍

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 November 2019, 08:38:15 pm »
Well I picked up some gortex gloves today, went with the "Richa Cold Protect Gortex"
Seem very warm, have plenty of armour and are highly rated in reviews so will hopefully fair well. RRP is £100 but managed to pick them up along with a pair of RST Tractech Evo R race gloves for a bartered down price of £150, so savings of around £40 across both pairs... so happy with that
Also picked up the Richa Typhoon Rain suit as it was the one I had seen best reviewed and they were flogging them for £40, so figured it's worth a punt at that price 👌

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 November 2019, 10:00:23 am »

Bobble hat, gloves, scarf and big coat and boots, and that's just for the dug.
« Last Edit: 21 November 2019, 11:09:29 am by Oldgit »

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 November 2019, 08:38:47 pm »
Blimey!! you must look like one of them riders from the 50s have you got the gauntlets nearly up to your elbows? :lol :lol
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 20 November 2019, 09:53:40 pm »
Well I picked up some gortex gloves today, went with the "Richa Cold Protect Gortex"!
Seem very warm, have plenty of armour and are highly rated in reviews so will hopefully fair well. RRP is £100 but managed to pick them up along with a pair of RST Tractech Evo R race gloves for a bartered down price of £150, so savings of around £40 across both pairs... so happy with that
Also picked up the Richa Typhoon Rain suit as it was the one I had seen best reviewed and they were flogging them for £40, so figured it's worth a punt at that price 👌

Just remember to layer up - base layer from Screwfix £10.
Polo/T shirt then microfleece [size=78%]https://www.screwfix.com/p/site-beech-microfleece-pullover-black-medium-43-chest/6697d[/size] - Very good.

Oxford thermal socks are good + a pair of normal sports socks over the top (Puma etc from Sports Direct work well). Merino wool socks are great ...........if you can still wear them when you get to work. I just remove the sports socks.

Thermal neck flee e is good [/size][size=78%]https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/200989[/size]

Best by far is heated grips.

Best of luck fella
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 November 2019, 11:42:19 am »
Best by far is heated grips gloves
FTFY

Heated grips warm the palms, but can leave you with cold fingertips. Heated Gloves may be a bit more expensive, but warm all the way down the back of the fingers :thumbup