Date: 19-04-24  Time: 03:12 am

Author Topic: Intro for Revilo  (Read 1926 times)

Revilo18

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Intro for Revilo
« on: 30 September 2011, 04:08:38 pm »
Hi there, I'm looking to buy a fazer (98-02) in the coming weeks (trying to get a bargain as winter starts to show). This will be my first 600 and I've absolutely got my heart set on a fazer. Looking for one that's going to ride everyday - rain or shine but don't want more the 20k on the clock - heard that cam tensioners go, downpipes rust etc etc.

You guys are the experts. I love these bikes (ridden a 1998 and a 2004 and the 1998 was much more fun). Can you offer any guidance on what to spot on a second hand one? Are there any signs that it's a dud that I should look out for. I'm aware that these are bomb-proof bikes and rarely give any trouble but if there was soemthing that was costly to replace and goes pretty regularly then it's be great to hear it!
Cheers
Revilo
See you on the A3...

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Intro for Revilo
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2011, 11:03:12 pm »
check to see if the valve clearances have been done. its a big enough job becasue the cams have to be taken out to change the shims. also check if the seals in the rear brake have been changed as the calipers sieze up if they're not cleaned fairly regularly. the exhaust can go like you said. i dont think cam chain tensioners are a problem on them but i could be wrong. other than that i think its just all the usual stuff to check for when buying any bike.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 October 2011, 03:47:50 pm »
Don't worry too much about mileage, I only changed my first engine at 115k miles because piston slap was making it sound like a tractor... but it'd probably have gone on for years. Valve clearances never changed in all that time.

It's worth checking the transition from first to second gear... if it drops out of second when you give it the beans, it's one to avoid.
Only other problem area on the engine I can think of is the front sprocket nut, original one supplied was too shallow and tended to strip its thread. I had that happen several times, though the thread on the shaft survived somehow.

SlasherFF

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Kwak Versys 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 October 2011, 06:48:06 pm »
Can get blocked carb heater pipes, which can be an issue this time of year (carb icing season).

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 October 2011, 07:09:19 pm »
there is one on here that fits your bill,low mileage at 15k miles,no i do not know the seller just giving you a guiding help lol  http://foc-u.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,353.0.html

Revilo18

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2012, 10:43:06 am »

Guys, thanks so much for this advice. I haven't had my account set up to the right email and haven't seen them until now. Thanks for the carb heater idea Slasher.... looking into it now - possible for next winter.

I bought a fzs 600 2001 - 13k on the clock, and I've been running it every day faultlessly for the last five months (actually had a week off due to snow). Excellent bike. I did get the carbs rebalanced and the rear piston kit replaced for new as it was full of crud - Dudeness .

A home mechanic messed around with the carbs so idle was way up at 2k which made me nervous buying as thought it was hiding something worse (was a bargain though and the right colour - black - and the seller was 10 miles away).

After a balance it rode and pulled away perfectly, enough to tag the CBRs and Street Triples off the lights. New back tyre worn in a few weeks ago and then some idiot knocked it off the centrestand outside my house - no off-street parking :( and has bent the handlebars.

Please see my new post about replacing handlebars and the Renthal choices on offer. Looking to fit them myself and and bend liquorice OEMs back into shape.  [size=78%]Possibly for sale - the bend is v minor and they're expensive as new oem.[/size]

Again sorry not to reply or acknowledge the above advice. It would have saved me some stress when buying. It is a truely great bike though, good for pillions, punchy low end and then another little boost past 8000 revs.... smiling every day now.

Cheers.
Revilo
« Last Edit: 19 February 2012, 10:48:42 am by Revilo18 »
See you on the A3...