Date: 19-04-24  Time: 19:45 pm

Author Topic: Comms Advice  (Read 1348 times)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Comms Advice
« on: 05 August 2020, 07:12:18 pm »
I've just treated myself to a Cardo Scala Rider Smart H Bluetooth headset to match my HJC helmet. Great bit of kit but now I'm after a cheap secondary unit for my daughters helmet so she can speak to me on the odd occasion she comes out on rides.
Does anyone have any idea if you can buy just a passenger unit or will I have to get another one the same as mine?
Or is it worth picking up one of the cheap Chinese bluetooth comms units?? Have any of you used one of them? Or can recommend one
« Last Edit: 06 August 2020, 10:57:15 pm by Dudeofrude »

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
Re: Comms Advice
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2020, 05:34:45 pm »
I can't help with your first question-guess you'd need to talk to someone who knows more about these things.
What I can tell you is we bought a Freed Conn model T-com VB last October and it was on offer from Amazon for approx £60. Easy to install good sound quality and perfect for pillion communication or bike to bike when my good lady is on her own machine.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2020, 05:44:41 pm »
I can't help with your first question-guess you'd need to talk to someone who knows more about these things.
What I can tell you is we bought a Freed Conn model T-com VB last October and it was on offer from Amazon for approx £60. Easy to install good sound quality and perfect for pillion communication or bike to bike when my good lady is on her own machine.

Thanks Dave I'll give it a look 👍

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 August 2020, 09:09:48 pm »
Just bought one myself from here - not used it in anger yet but seems fit for purpose and couldn't complain about the price.
« Last Edit: 18 August 2020, 09:11:11 pm by PieEater »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 August 2020, 09:23:21 pm »
Could one of these freed-con units just be installed into a helmet to act as a regular BT earpiece and mic..?

Can these be fitting to any helmet, if so what adhesive does it use..?

Also whats the volume like while wearing earplugs..?
« Last Edit: 18 August 2020, 09:24:14 pm by b1k3rdude »

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 August 2020, 05:15:53 pm »
Could one of these freed-con units just be installed into a helmet to act as a regular BT earpiece and mic..?

Can these be fitting to any helmet, if so what adhesive does it use..?

Also whats the volume like while wearing earplugs..?
That's what I bought it for, so I can hear phone Sat Nav instructions via BT. I got the Mrs to call me and I was able to pick up the call straight away by tapping the button on the unit, the volume was pretty loud but I wasn't having to contend with engine and wind noise at the time and you can adjust the volume on the fly anyhow, call quality was good at either end. You have a choice of mounting methods, either a clamp or self adhesive velcro, I chose the latter as the design of my lid didn't allow for the inside of the clamp without some modification to the liner seal which I wasn't happy to do. The glue on the velcro pads seems pretty strong and the actual unit isn't heavy so I don't foresee a problem. I won't actually use it as intended until I head up north this weekend so will feed back my findings on my return the following weekend as long as I remember (pm me if not).

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 August 2020, 09:06:15 am »
Can I also assume you have used it in all weathers etc?

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 August 2020, 07:51:50 pm »
Can I also assume you have used it in all weathers etc?

I've got the same unit (Freedcomm) - it gets used in all weathers in a bike to bike capacity. Useable range is around 800m. Battery life depends on usage, but when out on a long trip we get around 6hrs guaranteed usability. Bought two sets and keep set #2 charged ready to swap out if there are any issues. Had ours for around 8 years.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 August 2020, 08:30:59 pm »
Nice, thanks for that info. If I ever go on a multi-bike run a tour with someone I may well have to consider getting one of these.