Date: 28-03-24  Time: 10:13 am

Author Topic: What have you done to your FZS600 bike today  (Read 197890 times)

yamasaki

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS400
    • - Bandit250VC
    • View Profile
Re: What have you done to your FZS600 bike today
« Reply #425 on: 14 January 2017, 03:47:30 am »
Had another great track day at Bedford Autodrome. Changed the front sprocket to 13 tooth for greater punch out of the corners. Videos being uploaded to YouTube tonight if anyones interested. Still revs into the red-line, fastest top speed 134 on the back straight not bad for 86,000+ miles. Added a few pics from the day.
amazingly good
still like the old time rock n' roll

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: 14 January 2017, 09:26:20 am »
Had another great track day at Bedford Autodrome. Changed the front sprocket to 13 tooth for greater punch out of the corners. Videos being uploaded to YouTube tonight if anyones interested. Still revs into the red-line, fastest top speed 134 on the back straight not bad for 86,000+ miles. Added a few pics from the day.
amazingly good

Hi Yamasaki, sounds really good mate, I have never done a track day I don't have the balls for it as I found out years ago down at brands hatch on a practice day (was a Wednesday then) Nigel Warne a mate of mine raced a Boniville and we had rebuilt it over the winter, it was the 9 stud cylinder head bonny so the head could be put on 180 degrees out so effectively she was ram ait with the carbs at the front (Amal Monoblocks) We fitted a Quaif 5 speed gearbox close ratio, lightened valve gearing and the Morgo 750 conversion. We have transported the bike Down to Brands to trial and run it in before Nigel raced at Mallory on the weekend. Nigel did about 30 laps of the short circuit and came back to the pits for a potty break and a wet from the flaske. He suggested that I take the bike out and do some laps, I really wanted to but no race licence no insurance of any ant discription and no blood tag around my neck (wonder if you need  all that for a Trackday?) anyway he talked me into it , didn't take many seconds so in the secrecy of his Thames van I donned his leathers and skid lid with smoked grey visor and hung his blood tag around my neck as you need to show it when going to the pits. Anyway onto start and finish straight and I'm away, through paddock under the Dunlop tyre up to the hairpin, hang a left down the hill into clear ways I loved it and thought I was 'King of Brands' Well did 4 laps and coming out of the hairpin and hooking a left into south bank I think the bend was called for the fifth time I felt I was really the dogs bollocks by now, I'm on the far right of the track about 3 foot from the angled checkered kerbs cranked hard to the left feeling invincible, I did not have a clue, completely oblivious to the fact that a 3 lung Kwacker 350 stroker had come up behind me fast and passed between me and the checker kerbs, he must of been doing 15 or 20 mph more than I
And sound like world war three had started, fuck those things are loud with triple expansion chambers. I damn need lost control, totally unexpected just the incredibly loud screaming from nowhere and I almost felt him as he passed and the angle he was over at must of made me look vertical. I'm sad to say I learned one thing about myself that day, I was never ever going to be KING OF BRANDS. my balls are much to small.

Yamasaki please post a link in here to yout YouTube Clips I would love to see them. I have enjoyed many a foccers track day clips in here.  :thumbup :thumbup  tommy
« Last Edit: 14 January 2017, 09:29:50 am by tommyardin »

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Daytona 955, BMW R9T
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: 14 January 2017, 11:05:24 am »
Cheers for those links, I've saved them for when the time comes. This is the one I'd been looking at:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400676831619.

The chain has stretched past the limit they quote in the manual but still doesn't pull off the sprocket teeth very much at all, so I'm hoping to keep it going a bit longer. Need to keep an eye on the front sprocket wear as well though.

Would be a nice job for spring / summer when it's warmer /lighter ,  and I can take the opportunity to regrease swingarm bearings at the same time

I heard that the front sprocket wears out much quicker than the back as it only about a third the size therefore rotates about 3 times to every one of the rear leading to hooked teeth much quicker than the rear,
It was recommended to me that the front sprocket be changed about 12-15K and that helps the chain and rear sprocket last to probably twice as long possibly up to 30 -35K.
Make sense?   Whatcha fink?
Chain and both sprockets £120, front sprocket about 18-20 Quid.

Quick modify to my post thinking about it.

If the front sprocket wears and hooks much muck quicker than the rear the worn front will damage the chain much quicker ans as the chain is the most expensive part of the drive train I guess it makes sence to change the front sprocket sooner than later.

What a load of bollocks, I think someone is just trying to sell you front sprockets.  :lol

A well maintained chain and sprockets should easily last 30k miles. I've never had a front sprocket wear any faster than a rear, in fact they always seem to wear at about the same rate.

In my experience it's the chain which will become worn long before the sprockets. If your sprockets are becoming hooked before the chain is knackered then that'll be down to poor maintenance/ chain adjustment.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: 14 January 2017, 04:57:18 pm »
That is your opinion, and of course you have really thought it out, so, of course you are entitled to stand by those opinions. (Bit rude though) is it really Bollocks?

A quick look at it a little more scientifically:
You know just sometime in life we need to think about things that we just accept as gospel truths.

Allow me to paint a picture.
The back tyres on my dragster are 60 inch in diameter and the front ones are only 15 inches in diameter, it helps the car keep a in a downdraft stance under the incredible power during acceleration.

Now my premise is that a 60 inch X 10 inch rear tyre has a surface area of 1885 square inches, whilst the surface area of the front 15 inch X 10 inch tyre has a little over 471 square inches.

Now on my car over the standing 1 mile both tyres cover the same distance but the front one has to revolve many, many more times than the back to cover the same distance, therefore the front tyres will wear out much, much quicker than the back, they have a much smaller surface area to spread the load.
That makes sense, because the same weight, load, and ground contact speed are equal on both rear and front tyres, the front tyre with the smaller surface circumference surface area will definitely wear out quicker.

Change the dragster for my FZS, change the dragster tyres for my sprockets, change tyre surface area for teeth and change the concrete road surface for my chain, we have the same dynamic at play here the front sprocket will revolve many, many more times than the back, because it has fewer teeth, therefore the front sprocket will wear out quicker than the back, the chain has only replaced the concrete road, the stresses of forward motion are the same.

t’s the same principle of a tracked vehicle a digger or a bulldozer, sprockets and massive great wide track or belt if you wish.

My opinion only, and as said earlier we are all entitled to have them, but sometime we need to stop and think about them because we often hold them so dear and we are not prepared to think it out, or consider other options.

I for one am going to change my front sprocket before the slowly hooking teeth shag my chain. especially as I have purchased an Afam front sprocket for £14-00 on Evilbay and a DID chain is £90 +, so don't want that expense right now.

At the moment I can only just pull the chain away from the centre of the back sprocket by about 1.5 or 2mm, but have noticed that wear is beginning to show on the front sprocket very slight hooking and the tips of the teeth are more pointed than the rear sprocket.

Another thought:

The Front sprocket pulls the chain around, the chain pulls the back sprocket around, we seem to be driven from the front, I know a motorcycle is rear wheel drive, but the front sprocket is the drive element, anyone will tell you the front tyres on a front wheel drive car will wear out before the rear ones, because they are being powered round, the back ones are trailing, again in some ways its the same principle as a chain and sprocket driven from the front. Now I am going to S T F U.

Summer is coming I can hear the FZS calling, but alas still quite faintly.
« Last Edit: 14 January 2017, 05:19:45 pm by tommyardin »

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Daytona 955, BMW R9T
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: 14 January 2017, 05:30:03 pm »
I take it you're not an engineer then tommy?  :rolleyes

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: 14 January 2017, 05:47:51 pm »
No not an engineer at all, just a bricklayer. :eek  and a retarded retired one at that. :lol
I take it my theory holds no sway with you then?
Never mind life goes on.  :thumbup

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: 14 January 2017, 05:48:58 pm »
I always change the front sprocket around the 10k mark before it hooks, this prevent wear on the chain.

I get 40000 miles out of my chains and change the front sprocket 3 time in that period.

What Tommy has stated  is correct. Oh! No! I'm agreeing with Tommy again  :lol

You don't have to be an engineer to understand more rotation more wear.

A 15 tooth front sprocket will wear 3 time faster than a 45 tooth rear sprocket and it is the wear on the front sprocket which ruins the chain earlier in its life which in turn wears the rear sprocket.

A front sprocket is about £6 and 3 of them in 40000 mile is still less than a chain kit.

All this does not matter if you do not keep the chain lubed properly, which is why many chains and sprockets are knackered by 6 to 10000 miles

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: 14 January 2017, 06:10:44 pm »
Unfazed you little beaut  :kiss  I was thinking that logic had deserted me and I was talking like a twat.

It's not a case of who is right or who is wrong as long as we have info that is correct.

I for one have just taken things on face value in the past because of what I have been told and accepted it without question.

I heard the term a long time ago 'Think outside the box' I do try to do this, but just sometimes it bites you in the arse.
Thanks for the info Unfazed  :thumbup

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: 14 January 2017, 06:14:20 pm »
Just found this while doing a search on YouTube with regard to front sprockets

« Last Edit: 14 January 2017, 10:36:44 pm by tommyardin »

gingernut

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: 16 January 2017, 04:14:49 pm »

I have only done the cheap led spot lights mod , Glad I did its much improved ..

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: 16 January 2017, 05:37:24 pm »
Can't open that link.

Chain wrench is the most effective way of removing an old oil filter, nothing needs to be moved out of the way at all.

Smear oil on the rubber seal and you can just nip up the new one, do not overtighten, simply no need.

I had an issue with a Hi-Flo filter so not a personal fan, next time just get a K&N and your bike will show it's gratitude.

Strange both links open on my windows machine, oil link and large socket oil wrench thingy. it's the large socket one rather than the chain one.

Agrees about tightening the filter, hand tight is plenty

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: 17 January 2017, 10:32:47 pm »

I have only done the cheap led spot lights mod , Glad I did its much improved ..

Pics required/ Rules are rules  :deal
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

nedwood

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: 19 January 2017, 08:06:35 pm »
Took my forks off my 99` 600 to do an oil change. taking them into work tomorrow to flush them out with some kerosine because their was a fair bit of black sludge in the oil. Will give the outers a bit of a polish up while i have them on the bench. I am going to try 15w oil in them as a lot of you lads on here seem to recommend that weight as giving an improvement on the front end which i had some concern about my front end used to feel like it was folding under some times going in to slowish corner anyway we shall see.

yamasaki

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS400
    • - Bandit250VC
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: 26 January 2017, 02:15:32 pm »

ready for the new year's day
« Last Edit: 26 January 2017, 02:17:21 pm by yamasaki »

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: 26 January 2017, 02:56:23 pm »
 :thumbup

daviee

« Reply #440 on: 26 January 2017, 07:28:01 pm »
that a 400 ??

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: 26 January 2017, 08:51:50 pm »
It is indeed, Brembo front brakes, the FZ logo, seat strap and no grab rail and the most obvious clues.

daviee

« Reply #442 on: 26 January 2017, 09:00:21 pm »
is it true that the headlight has both high and low beam on each side and is a strait  swap into the 600  ?

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: 26 January 2017, 10:45:45 pm »
It indeed it does and are as rare as hens teeth in the secondhand market.

yamasaki

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS400
    • - Bandit250VC
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: 27 January 2017, 05:51:42 am »

Fazer99

• Club Racer
  • Private sign do not read
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: 27 January 2017, 07:29:41 am »

ready for the new year's day

Very Nice  :thumbup

is it true that the headlight has both high and low beam on each side and is a strait  swap into the 600  ?
It indeed it does and are as rare as hens teeth in the secondhand market.

Thats a shame, and I'm guessing if you went through Yamaha Genuine Parts directly it would cost a fortune.
RIP my beautiful red beast 1999 to 2017 😭🏍😭

Andy1970

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: 27 January 2017, 11:33:10 am »
Big day today. I just picked up my frame (and a few other bits) from Maldon Powder Coating where they've done a top job.

So today is the landmark point at which the bike stops being taken apart and starts being put back together.  :woot

Eleven weeks to get it finished so I can ride it to the Brands Hatch BSB round at Easter.

petters

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: 29 January 2017, 03:05:43 pm »

Started to get my bike together again :-)

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #448 on: 11 February 2017, 03:34:25 am »
after buying her yesterday i spent this morning removing damaged fairing and modifying the bent fairing bracket to only hold speedo
then added dominator headlights
got to pick up some windicators tommorow and wait for my koso style speedo and some aluminium plate before i perminantly mount a speedo on the trees
-have to adjust the clutch so its in a better posistion as previous owner had it activating right against the bars (really annoying)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: 11 February 2017, 12:05:48 pm »
after buying her yesterday i spent this morning removing damaged fairing and modifying the bent fairing bracket to only hold speedo
then added dominator headlights
got to pick up some windicators tommorow and wait for my koso style speedo and some aluminium plate before i perminantly mount a speedo on the trees
-have to adjust the clutch so its in a better posistion as previous owner had it activating right against the bars (really annoying)

Lazy day for me, still sat in my bed drinking coffee and eating toast (good old Mrs tommy) dusting of snow outside, bloody cold too, so here I am watching Disorderly's videos  :thumbup :thumbup
Welcome to the Foccers forum
I have a GlPro Gear Indicator to fit but too cold on the fingers for fiddling about. So as said previously lazy day.

« Last Edit: 11 February 2017, 12:06:50 pm by tommyardin »