Date: 28-03-24  Time: 11:31 am

Author Topic: splashing out...  (Read 1443 times)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
splashing out...
« on: 21 May 2020, 01:06:25 pm »
me mate kelv now has 38 seventies bikes, following his latest acquisition, a '74 gt750. Another mate has a lowly ten. I do bits for both of them, generally carbs and electrics to get them running half right. As such, and bearing in mind two of my own bikes have a four-bank of carbs, Ive bought an utrasonic cleaner. 27 litre, with fluid de gassing. The best part of 600 sovs with extra concentrate. But it makes sense. And six hundred quid compared to the the 90k kelv has spent on a shed full of, well, sheds, seems pretty good value. With the bits I do for Kelv and Chris alone it should hopefully pay for itself before the end of summer
« Last Edit: 21 May 2020, 01:08:23 pm by ogri48 »

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: splashing out...
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2020, 02:15:38 pm »
Brilliant bit of kit to have. My carbs were cleaned in one of those when a couple of the pilot jets got bunged up. Ran as sweet as afterwards :)

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2020, 02:39:10 pm »
Pretty much the only way to thoroughly clean carbs these days. I’ve got a smaller one that needs a double dip with doing half a bank of four at a time.

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2020, 11:08:17 am »

OIP
could have used these.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2020, 01:09:22 pm »
just waiting on fifty litres of demineralised de ionised water and the first patient goes under the spanners on sunday. Bike hasnt run since i picked it up for kelv eight years ago and he promptly stuck it in a shed. Going to clean the carbs, fit gen nos service kits and balance. hopefully he'll have a sweet running bike by the end of next week. ill detail the process on here, as Im gonna be offering a fifty quid service(including postage back out) to forum members, subject to the following.
1) carbs stripped by yourselves to whatever degree you want.
Obviously thats float bowls off as a minumum. The cleaner is the best I could buy, and with the appropriate water, concentrate and degassing cycle should get into pilots, emulsion tubes etc if still fitted to the carb body.
2)carbs to be degreased by yourselves.
The fluid makeup costs me thirty quid a tankfull, and as long as carbs are deshitted of crud etc, i should get between 10-20 half hour cycles. bear in mind im going to give each bank two full cycles, so i want to get at least ten banks of carbs cleaned before i havta drain off and change.
3) FOC-U members carbs only.
im not running a business fellers, just wanting to give something back to the forum and those of you that frequent it lol. Even the foccing lefties and BMW riders  ;) :lol . Despite all the political bollox thats gets thrown about on here nowadays, we are all still mates with a common bond. Obviously the only doing it for you lot thingy has to be a me trusting you issue, but we are all fucking grown ups so i got no problem with that. I'll help any of you lot out, but not your foccing mates... :lol
btw If required, ill send them back with sixteen a2 stainless carb bowl screws at whatever they cost me (ill buy some in bulk) so should be peanuts, but bear in mind they will be cap heads and will want greasing to prevent corrosive weld with the alu bodies :)
« Last Edit: 27 May 2020, 01:25:53 pm by ogri48 »

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2020, 01:11:00 pm »
ill detail the work on this old bruiser. be nice to bring it back to life really...
« Last Edit: 27 May 2020, 01:13:46 pm by ogri48 »

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2020, 01:25:22 pm »
That CB750 is beautiful, bought a second hand one of a mate when I was 22 , loved it, and even a crap rider like me could get those exhausts scraping.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2020, 01:28:33 pm »
kelv has three of them (the other two are a red and a blue), and hasnt ridden one yet. Criminal really :'( :'( :'(

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2020, 01:31:16 pm »
and yeah id like one. I mean the '72 z1 is the one with the ultimate kudos, but to me the cb was the grandad, and i had far more mates on them and cb400fours back in the day. It always seems the original everyman bike. be interesting to see how it feels riding it now  :rolleyes :lol :lol
« Last Edit: 27 May 2020, 01:31:52 pm by ogri48 »

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 May 2020, 02:17:09 pm »
The ultrasonic cleaners worked wonders. I had a project XJR400 that hadn’t been on the road for over 10 years and ran awful. A dunk for a few hours got the pilot jets completely clean and ran like a Swiss watch with a rebuild kit. Unfortunately my idea of running a 400 didn’t really work out as found it a bit too small so sold it on. Since then had mower carbs and it’s never failed.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 May 2020, 02:19:29 pm »
Oh, forgot to say that coffee machine filter papers can be used to get some life out of your solution 😀

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 May 2020, 06:23:39 pm »
good heads up thanks mate!

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 May 2020, 06:56:48 pm »
 Nice bit of kit sir. 
ill detail the work on this old bruiser. be nice to bring it back to life really...
That’s a sweet bike Ogri.  Cracking colour, and they look so good with the original four pipes.  Lovely.  Presumably you’ll be taking it for a wee blast once its up and running again? 
Even the foccing lefties and BMW riders  ;) :lol

im not running a business fellers, just wanting to give something back to the forum and those of you that frequent it lol. Even the foccing lefties and BMW riders  ;) :lol ..
BMW riders – including full on BMW wanker types ? :o

My Fazer is just lying in the garage now looking sorry for itself.  I guess I’ve gotta decided if I am actually going to sort out some of the little issues and tidy her up, or let her go.  Not sure.  I love the new BMW, but it is a totally different kettle of fish. 

Don’t forget to cover you investment and something for the time you put in bud.

What’s the outlook work wise?  Are you able to get back to the day job?

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 May 2020, 12:22:17 pm »
ah i went back to work last friday mate, had two days laying concrete blocks in a footing and couldnt walk sunday. Ive come to realise at 60 years old I just aint up to heavyside building any more sadly. tough pill to swallow but it is what it is. Ill get by with tinkering and what not i guess.
I know your beemer is the tits, but your fazer aint far off being a modern classic, even if you just mothball it mate. Ill put a bit of film up riding the honda, but im guessing even to an old fart like me it'll feel like cb250 superdream :lol :lol ;) [size=78%] [/size]

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 May 2020, 02:53:03 pm »
I can't honestly think of bike worse than a Superdream, I had one a for a few months back in the early 80's  :'(

Very nice CB750, quite liked the F2 with it's black engine, 4 into 1, last of the SOHC  ;)
Later

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 May 2020, 07:16:15 pm »
ah i went back to work last friday mate, had two days laying concrete blocks in a footing and couldnt walk sunday. Ive come to realise at 60 years old I just aint up to heavyside building any more sadly. tough pill to swallow but it is what it is. Ill get by with tinkering and what not i guess.

Yeah, I know how you feel bud.  None of us are getting any younger. :eek   Hope you can find that work/life/finance balance.  And maybe get the Fazer back?

I know your beemer is the tits, but your fazer aint far off being a modern classic, even if you just mothball it mate. Ill put a bit of film up riding the honda, but im guessing even to an old fart like me it'll feel like cb250 superdream :lol :lol ;)
It’s a totally different kind of bike.  Perhaps I got carried away a little in buying a new one – but why not?  I suspect I might collect another bike or two over the next few years, but they’ll probably be used buys – there is just so much nice used stuff out there.

The new boxer engine is seriously quick.  It’s a real fun bike to muck about on.  Like any naked bike you have to work it a bit, the wind blast catches you, then you open the throttle and the bars try to jump out of your hands.  But then alternatively you can just sit back and enjoy toddling along.

Maybe I should write up a wee initial impressions review.

I would say this though, after riding an MT10, the CB100R and buying the R1250R – a well sorted FZS1000 will still hold its own – not to mention it’s a superb do it all bike.