Date: 28-03-24  Time: 10:39 am

Author Topic: Oil issue  (Read 1922 times)

grifft18

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Oil issue
« on: 04 February 2020, 04:30:24 pm »
So I've got a 2003 FZS 600 with 2k miles on the clock.
I got it about august 2019, and its been stood from then to start of this month, so about 6 months. Ive started it every week and let it run for a while..
Start of this month I've got it on the road, and after 200 miles in 2 days the oil level light came on when I was nearly home anyway.
I put in a bit of oil, started it up and it came back on, anyway I put about another litre in and its still on.

I can't even see the level through the sight glass, its brown so I imagine its dirty from gunk build up?

I'm going to change the oil myself tomorrow, and the day after its having a full oil and filter change from a yam dealer.

Just wondering if there's any common issue in this area?
cheers all

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Oil issue
« Reply #1 on: 04 February 2020, 05:15:19 pm »
Could always just drain the oil into a container and measure how much comes out in case it's simply still not enough?
My oil window is dark too, so i know what a nuisance it can be not being able to view the level.
With a new filter i put in 2.8 litres and it does me until the next change, which i personally do every 4000 miles (recommended 6000).
Without a filter it should be 2.5 litres.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 February 2020, 07:57:10 pm »

I can't even see the level through the sight glass, its brown so I imagine its dirty from gunk build up?

The sight glass might appear brown because the oil level is above it. If you lean the bike over to the left, either by someone else holding it or lean it on something, the oil will drain away from the sight glass and you can see if it clears. If it does then the light problem lies elsewhere. Possibly the  wire from the switch having chafed and grounding or a faulty switch.
« Last Edit: 04 February 2020, 07:58:25 pm by limax2 »

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 February 2020, 09:22:59 pm »
The oil level is checked with the bike on the centre stand on level ground,start bike & let it idle for a few minutes turn engine off & wait a few minutes then check the level in the sight which should be between the two pips at side of sight glass if you don't see clear level it's overfilled at 2000 miles the sight glass should be clear to see level.
When refilling slowly add oil to the full pip on the sight glass put oil filler back in & run engine again for a one minute then switch off wait a few minutes again & check level top up oil to top level & your done. 

Run the engine until warm before draining your oil that way most of the old oil will come out leave the oil to drain for a while before refitting drain plug & washer, do drain plug up snugly don't over tighten.   
« Last Edit: 04 February 2020, 09:40:31 pm by bandit »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 February 2020, 09:34:57 pm »
The oil level is checked with the bike on the centre stand on level ground,start bike & let it idle for a few minutes turn engine off & wait a few minutes then check the level in the sight which should be between the two pips at side of sight glass if you don't see clear level it's overfilled at 2000 miles the sight glass should be clear to see level.
When refilling slowly add oil to the full pip on the sight glass put oil filler back in & run engine again for a one minute then switch off wait a few minutes again & check level top up oil to top level & your done.

Wondering if the 2000 miles part is actually the problem, the bike has been sitting still for long periods of time, possibly with very old oil in it, gunking things up in the process? It might need properly flushing out.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 February 2020, 09:45:52 pm »

Wondering if the 2000 miles part is actually the problem, the bike has been sitting still for long periods of time, possibly with very old oil in it, gunking things up in the process? It might need properly flushing out.

Yes that's what I was thinking darrsi, gummed up sensor. 

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 February 2020, 01:03:17 am »

Warming it up once a week probably added a lot of condensation to the oil.
The level may have a bit low to start with, though not enough to cause the light to come on with the bike static.
Go for a prolonged ride and the sump finally gets warm enough to evaporate some of the water out and the level and density of the mayonnaise drops and the light starts to come on during acceleration.
An oil change and letting the bike get properly up to temperature every time should solve the problem.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 February 2020, 06:32:48 am »
I wouldn't personally be changing the oil today though, if a dealer is going to do it all again tomorrow.
When i was saying measure what's in there it was more to do with having the right amount to get you safely to the shop.
As Fazerider said though, is there any white mayo like substance on the inside of the oil cap?

And is the mileage definitely TWO thousand miles?

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 February 2020, 08:55:50 am »
Fazer oil level sensors are known for being a bit temperamental, they either just stick or corrosion get in or on the contacts causing a short.  It's normally sorted by a simple clean up of the connectors, some need removal and a clean.  The latter is best done during an oil change, some do fail that said, I've never replaced one. 

The sensor is really just early warning of low oil level and they're pretty sensitive 100ml ish from on to off.   The slight glass is the best way to check your oil level, best checked 5 mins after you've ridden it, half way is good.  Fazer are really good on oil a healthy engine should use almost nothing between changes.

Pull off the contractors, if there corroded clean them as best you can, both the wire end and on the sensor.  Reconnect if the light goes out bingo sorted, put some silicon grease on them and recover, job done, drain out the oil, if the oil is good/new or still a few 1000's to go be needing changing tip it back in 3/4 way up the sight glass.  Ride check 5mins after you've stopped.

I'd also not recommend starting sorted bikes every week, all your doing is encouraging moisture in the engine, which over time can start to emulsify the oil and it breaks down the oil faster.  In my opinion best way to store a bike, service the brakes, chain, levers, cables etc, pinch the fuel line and run the bike until it stops, hook up the Optimate (or similar) and leave it.  It will be fine like this for couple years, I kid you not.               
Later

grifft18

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 February 2020, 09:56:26 am »
I wouldn't personally be changing the oil today though, if a dealer is going to do it all again tomorrow.
When i was saying measure what's in there it was more to do with having the right amount to get you safely to the shop.
As Fazerider said though, is there any white mayo like substance on the inside of the oil cap?

And is the mileage definitely TWO thousand miles?

Hi, drained oil and it was just mucky. no white substance or anything strange, just brown in colour.
Will put in cheap Halfords oil to drive the hour or so to the yam dealer tomorrow to do another oil and filter change.

yeah milage is definitely TWO thousand, I have all MOT's, documents and original invoice from 2003 so 100% original

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 February 2020, 10:17:18 am »
Fazer oil level sensors are known for being a bit temperamental, they either just stick or corrosion get in or on the contacts causing a short.  It's normally sorted by a simple clean up of the connectors, some need removal and a clean.  The latter is best done during an oil change, some do fail that said, I've never replaced one. 

The sensor is really just early warning of low oil level and they're pretty sensitive 100ml ish from on to off.   The slight glass is the best way to check your oil level, best checked 5 mins after you've ridden it, half way is good.  Fazer are really good on oil a healthy engine should use almost nothing between changes.

Pull off the contractors, if there corroded clean them as best you can, both the wire end and on the sensor.  Reconnect if the light goes out bingo sorted, put some silicon grease on them and recover, job done, drain out the oil, if the oil is good/new or still a few 1000's to go be needing changing tip it back in 3/4 way up the sight glass.  Ride check 5mins after you've stopped.

I'd also not recommend starting sorted bikes every week, all your doing is encouraging moisture in the engine, which over time can start to emulsify the oil and it breaks down the oil faster.  In my opinion best way to store a bike, service the brakes, chain, levers, cables etc, pinch the fuel line and run the bike until it stops, hook up the Optimate (or similar) and leave it.  It will be fine like this for couple years, I kid you not.             

Loving the long-term storage advice Gnasher - simple but effective
Many thanks  :thumbup
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 February 2020, 11:14:03 am »

yeah milage is definitely TWO thousand, I have all MOT's, documents and original invoice from 2003 so 100% original
:eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek . A record low for the forum I think.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 February 2020, 11:27:25 am »

:eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek . A record low for the forum I think.

And I thought mine was low at 8k :eek

bernieeccles

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 February 2020, 12:56:00 pm »
I had the exact same problem on my 2002 FZS600 which had been stored for 9 years. Got it back on the road (new battery and tyres and oil and filter) and the red oil light would come on intermittently.
Went through the thought process of getting another sensor but in the end, gave it a good thrashing then changed the oil again and the light never came on again whilst riding.
Put it down to a sticky sensor float due to being not used as has been suggested.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 February 2020, 01:10:34 pm »

And I thought mine was low at 8k :eek

Time to own up, I have a 98 with just over 3000 miles.
« Last Edit: 05 February 2020, 01:15:05 pm by bandit »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05 February 2020, 01:18:16 pm »
I had the exact same problem on my 2002 FZS600
in the end, gave it a good thrashing and the light never came on again
You told it gooood  :lol
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.