Date: 25-04-24  Time: 13:32 pm

Author Topic: First time Insurance  (Read 1326 times)

jerbear

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
First time Insurance
« on: 27 October 2015, 07:08:32 pm »
Hi, I'm looking to insure my First Bike but wondering which is the best company to go with. MCE are the cheapest at around £140, the next best is Hastings or Bennets.
MCE offer breakdown included but after a bit of research there are a few bad comments.
Can I ask for some suggestions or previous experiences.

Many thanks

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: First time Insurance
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2015, 07:28:41 pm »
Just a point about breakdown cover, some only take the bike to the nearest garage often with a mileage limit? then what if you don't get the bike fixed there you will be charged storage.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2015, 08:22:05 pm »
Give carole nash a try, failing that try one of the online comparison sites to see what's out there.
Tips- Using a 'branded' lock and chain will bring down your quote as will stating you won't take pillion passengers.
garaging (or back garden) at night helps, as does doing less than 8K milage a year.
£140 a year isn't too bad for a first bike, is it fully comp? As usual it's all down to postcode.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

jerbear

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 October 2015, 09:02:15 pm »
I have tried the comparison websites and various others. MCD as stated is considerably cheaper and wondered if anybody had trouble when claiming from these or others. Obviously excess's are high and will take on board comments about breakdown cover.
Quote was for Fully comp.
« Last Edit: 27 October 2015, 09:05:32 pm by jerbear »

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #4 on: 28 October 2015, 12:24:07 am »
Just a point about breakdown cover, some only take the bike to the nearest garage often with a mileage limit? then what if you don't get the bike fixed there you will be charged storage.

Also the cheap ones will then dump you at the nearest bus stop or train station and "You're on your own now, mate"!

In previous years I've gone with Bennetts and got RAC cover from them which has been good value.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 October 2015, 12:27:50 pm »
All insurance companies try to screw you when it comes to a claim, I'm with MCE, not because of all the extras that cone with the policy but because they're the cheapest for me, simple as that!
Some say...

jerbear

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 October 2015, 08:43:37 pm »
That thanks for all comments,  think I will check out the cheapest ( MCE) this year and perhaps have a bit more choice after earning some NCD.