Date: 26-04-24  Time: 05:42 am

Author Topic: If you have to ask.....you wouldnt understand!  (Read 2080 times)

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
If you have to ask.....you wouldnt understand!
« on: 22 December 2016, 06:55:26 am »
What is it that keeps us riding our beloved bikes?
No-one else in my family rides apart from one son who is a lifelong cyclist & a son-in-law in Cornwall who has a restored Vespa 90 which occasionally gets ridden round the Lizard.
My 2 sisters keep asking when I am going to stop(the implication being that they think its time I acted my age-whatever that means!)
My one granddaughter tells me Im not like her other grandad(who incidentally has never even driven a cage)-my reply was along the lines of"It would be a shame to have 2 normal grandads when you can have one who conforms & one like me". She now wants to know when she can ride with me!
I first rode a PTW age 14 & over 50 years later the magic has always been there.
I explained to a non-riding friend that driving a car is like watching TV BUT riding a bike is being part of whats going on around us..she didnt really understand but turned down the offer of a pillion ride.
Its dark cold & miserable outside but have some amazing biking memories this year to sustain me until the days lengthen.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: If you have to ask.....you wouldnt understand!
« Reply #1 on: 22 December 2016, 08:48:37 am »
Know exactly what you mean, the only people I know who ride a bike are guys I work with, none of my old mates have bikes anymore.
My son has never shown the slightest interest, daughter thinks I should grow up, wife thinks I am an idiot, got six grandkids and not one of them has ever asked even to just sit on the bike.
Every year I get older but the enjoyment of riding is still as strong as ever, I might do less miles now, less longer trips and I definitely am getting slower but as long as  I can still throw a leg over a bike I will still keep riding, and if I cannot manage a leg over ( I am sure that has another meaning as well but  buggered if I can remember what ) then I will get a step thru !

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 December 2016, 09:06:55 am »
The Fazer is a comfortable "all-rounder" with a nice high revving motor that gives me enough of an adrenaline rush for my advancing years(on a "good" day) :lol
The Tracer is showing all the signs of being an excellent bike-comfortable,good wide bars,upright riding position with good forward view.The lower 3 gears are good for brisk starts& 4,5 &6 provide plenty of torque for those fast open roads.
The cage is a low powered 69bhp job -long stroke motor that will pull 5th gear from 35mph & returns 60mpg  BUT doesnt have the fun factor-its purely a practical all weather vehicle for shopping/visiting family/ferrying granddaughters around.
I bought the car with my head but every bike I have ever purchased has been with my heart!
Legover?-Think I need a haynes manual for that! :lol

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 December 2016, 09:12:06 am »
The Fazer is a comfortable "all-rounder" with a nice high revving motor that gives me enough of an adrenaline rush for my advancing years(on a "good" day) :lol
The Tracer is showing all the signs of being an excellent bike-comfortable,good wide bars,upright riding position with good forward view.The lower 3 gears are good for brisk starts& 4,5 &6 provide plenty of torque for those fast open roads.
The cage is a low powered 69bhp job -long stroke motor that will pull 5th gear from 35mph & returns 60mpg  BUT doesnt have the fun factor-its purely a practical all weather vehicle for shopping/visiting family/ferrying granddaughters around.
I bought the car with my head but every bike I have ever purchased has been with my heart!
Legover?-Think I need a haynes manual for that! :lol

Don't rely on the Haynes manual, they always tell you how to do it the time consuming way, with experience you learn all the shortcuts to achieve the same result ;)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 December 2016, 09:28:15 am »
Been riding 29 years now, never even bothered with a car, as i notice they always keep getting stuck in traffic.

And on the plus side for everyone else, if they ever want to know the weather forecast, they always ask me, 'cos i need to know what i'm gonna be wearing the next day.  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 December 2016, 09:54:33 am »
Started riding at about 12 years old on a puch maxi in the fields next to our house 38 years ago. Always had pushbikes as a kid and feel more at home on two wheels.
Got my first road bike at 17 but the problem was GIRLS, because it would be yes I will go out with you "what time are you picking me up" ---- errrr hmmm. So after 4 years on the bike and passing that test I past my car test and got a car (sadly not the girl)
My car is the most boring 1.2 3 cylinder you could imagine and that suits me just fine because I have the bike, sometimes I will be fidgety and pace up and down looking out of the window, like those cadged Lions that have gone mental from being in a cadge, the missus will just shout FFS go out on your bike will you and I then go out and return rejuvenated and also somehow content. I am lucky in that I do not have to use my bike for anything other than - as my insurance states Domestic and PLEASURE.         
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 December 2016, 03:39:28 pm »

Personally:
1 - Convenience. We lost our car park at work and now every car driver has a half-mile walk from the new one. I did my CBT so I could use the bike park which is still on site.
2 - Alone time. I quickly learned that no-one can hassle you on a bike. No passengers, no phone calls etc. It's just you and the road.
3 - Involvement. I'm not a very good rider, so I enjoy it so much because I have to be a lot more alert than when I'm in my car. Which turns out to be bollocks because riding has made me a shitload more alert in my car! Also, you drive a car with your hands, feet and head, but you ride a bike with your whole body.

I've realised I like riding far more than I actually like bikes. I don't give a shit what I ride, I'd enjoy it as much on a 125 as a 1000.

Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 December 2016, 07:26:44 pm »

Personally:
1 - Convenience. We lost our car park at work and now every car driver has a half-mile walk from the new one. I did my CBT so I could use the bike park which is still on site.
2 - Alone time. I quickly learned that no-one can hassle you on a bike. No passengers, no phone calls etc. It's just you and the road.
3 - Involvement. I'm not a very good rider, so I enjoy it so much because I have to be a lot more alert than when I'm in my car. Which turns out to be bollocks because riding has made me a shitload more alert in my car! Also, you drive a car with your hands, feet and head, but you ride a bike with your whole body.

I've realised I like riding far more than I actually like bikes. I don't give a shit what I ride, I'd enjoy it as much on a 125 as a 1000.

:agree

Plus I get a complete sense of freedom from life's shite and truly feel ALIVE.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 December 2016, 11:22:29 pm »
I'm turned 50 and been riding since 16 when I got the 2 wheel bug and  still love it just as much today although arthritis and old accident injuries mean I'm more fair weather now than not ( I drive a car but is a means to an end not enjoyment like a bike )
My mum still asks me when I'm going to stop riding and grow up ( I'm fifty for focs sake I tell her )
But one of the things that's true today as much as it was when I was 16 is being a biker is like being in a big club, riders nod or acknowledge you as you ride , chat at traffic lights , stop to help if they can when your in trouble and most of the best times I've had have somehow involved a bike.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 December 2016, 11:34:06 pm »
I'm turned 50 and been riding since 16 when I got the 2 wheel bug and  still love it just as much today although arthritis and old accident injuries mean I'm more fair weather now than not ( I drive a car but is a means to an end not enjoyment like a bike )
My mum still asks me when I'm going to stop riding and grow up ( I'm fifty for focs sake I tell her )
But one of the things that's true today as much as it was when I was 16 is being a biker is like being in a big club, riders nod or acknowledge you as you ride , chat at traffic lights , stop to help if they can when your in trouble and most of the best times I've had have somehow involved a bike. Except those ignorant BMW fuckers who have a real unhealthy superior attitude. Bastards won't nod. chat at lights and try to barge their way through unless their on an old K75 :grumble

Fixed that for you Graham - don't thank me, it's Xmas  :D
« Last Edit: 23 December 2016, 11:34:50 pm by Frosties »
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 December 2016, 11:37:28 pm »
Liking your style
Thanks for the edit  :lol