Date: 20-04-24  Time: 03:40 am

Author Topic: Repairing cracks/splits in front Boxeye fairing  (Read 1317 times)

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
Repairing cracks/splits in front Boxeye fairing
« on: 27 September 2016, 09:51:55 am »
Hi foccers-some advice please.
Have done all the mechanical jobs on the "Red Reviver" since Feb except valve clearances which will be done next week by my local friendly garage-all the exhaust valves require reshimming.
Over the next few months I want to concentrate on the cosmetics and the main area of concern are the cracks alongside front indicators where bike has been dropped in past ownership. There has been a bit of a bodge up repair done by previous owner which involves mastic & thick black plastic tape. I would like to effect a proper repair even if it means having the nose cone repainted afterwards-It is the vivid red cocktail colour scheme so will involve 3 separate colours & stickers.
Any suggestions/recommendations. I realise a professional job wont be cheap. Over to you guys.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
Re: Repairing cracks/splits in front Boxeye fairing
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2016, 10:05:54 am »
If your prepared to have it resprayed I'd leave the repair to the experts, not much point having it resprayed only for your repair to fail.

Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

Pittarwan

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 September 2016, 01:11:29 pm »
Knowledge of such matters is understandable, but it's hard to learn easily.

bikemad

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 September 2016, 01:21:20 pm »
Plastic welding use a 100 amp soldering iron with large tip basicly melt back together from behind,then I'd recommend some superglue to fill into it from the front can be sanded once dry careful use gloves or fingers dry quickly  :lol  I'd then use a fibreglass kit to reinforce inside depending how much area damage covered.

Get some old bits to practice on plenty of old broken car & mc bodywork laying about in bushes etc.

I've done quite a few jobs infact my 1st ever plastic weld job was on my 98 fazer 14 odd years ago  :eek  where does time go lol
Stuff everything I've always got my bike :)

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 September 2016, 01:43:15 pm »
It all depends on how bad things are Dave, can you stick up a pic of the damage? If it's real bad you'll probably need some polyester putty and reinforcing mesh.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 September 2016, 11:56:47 pm »
I watch quite a bit of daytime tv. This looks relevant...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=90znSPhgiVE
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

bikemad

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2016, 12:20:14 am »
Brilliant vid seen most of wheeler dealer series looks like a good repair system 👍🏻

Stuff everything I've always got my bike :)

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2016, 08:44:03 am »
It all depends on how bad things are Dave, can you stick up a pic of the damage? If it's real bad you'll probably need some polyester putty and reinforcing mesh.
The damage is only really apparent when cowling is off bike so will aim to put up some pics in a few weeks time after have ridden to & returned from the valve shimming & the days grow shorter.I am a warm weather type these days. Riding all year round was obligatory for me back in the distant past-dont like being cold/wet-hence "Grandads cage with heater" :lol

Have just watched Ed China-most impressive-think I shall take noe cone to a "proper" repairer & they can respray in the vivid red cocktail colours-Hang on the back cowling is looking a bit faded! Where does it all end? Oh yes, what about the wheels?
Seriously I am not going for "The King of Bling" awards but want to do justice to the FAZER that brings so much happiness in my advancing years :lol