Date: 20-04-24  Time: 03:56 am

Author Topic: a "senior moment"!  (Read 2331 times)

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
a "senior moment"!
« on: 30 June 2016, 05:49:13 pm »
Decided to replace the carb to cylinder head rubber thingies as the originals (15 yrs old) were badly cracked. Stripped tank, battery etc for access & found I was struggling so phoned friend who came over to lend an extra pair of hands yesterday am. Before he arrived I  positioned one of the metal clamps on the new rubber piece but had FORGOTTEN TO PLUG THE HOLE -you can guess what happened-the screw flew out of the clamp before I could start to tighten and the small brass spacer collar disappeared into the void! I know its prob resting on top of no 2 piston as we checked everywhere and while we found the screw resting under the starter motor there is no sign of the collar anywhere-either in depths of crankcase or near waterpump & sprocket cover, nor did it end up anywhere on floor... Sods law-when I removed the rubber piece & peered into the inlet port I noticed both valves open on this cylinder !
Now my question is this: Will I be ok to SLOWLY rotate the crankshaft to align timing marks before removing head-ie will there be enough clearance between top of piston & cyl head or should I just mark existing position of cams, timing gear? I tried putting a soft flexible piece of plastic with grease on tip down spark plug hole but I guess with the forward cant of engine its prob lying towards exhaust side of piston. ALL ADVICE WELCOME for this silly old foccer! :eek [size=78%] [/size]

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: a "senior moment"!
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2016, 06:35:34 pm »
What about a small pipe/tube on the end of a vacuum cleaner, the intention is not to suck it all the way up the pipe but to suck it on to the end of the pipe, like picking up a ping pong ball with a straw
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 June 2016, 06:56:32 pm »
Thanks, fazersharp ,will give it a try!

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2016, 07:07:24 pm »
Can you get hold of a boroscope?  You could use it to look at the top of piston to see if it is actually there.

Grib

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 June 2016, 07:41:34 pm »
I bought one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01B5RRYP0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to look inside my fuel tank for rust. The picture is good quality, and I have just checked - its fits down a Fazer spark plug hole....

Carter

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - DT200WR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 June 2016, 10:41:13 pm »
I wouldn't try and turn the engine, it could be be trapped above or between  the valve and it's seat. They don't really open too far so I presume it may not have got into the cylinder.
Rust never sleeps !

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 July 2016, 11:06:37 am »
Is the washer made out of steel? Could try one of those little magnets that are on an extending rod,  quite cheap to buy.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 July 2016, 11:44:25 am »
the small brass spacer collar disappeared into the void! 

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 July 2016, 02:52:36 pm »
the small brass spacer collar disappeared into the void! 

oops,  looks like I had a senior moment as well :o

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 July 2016, 03:50:46 pm »
Any one seen the film Everybody's baby
Its about a little kid stuck down a drain and they get all kinds of offers of "crazy hair-brained ideas" of how to get the girl out of the drain.

Its a bit like this post :)

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 July 2016, 04:59:38 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions. Have got a long flexible grabber /pick up tool and its about the same diameter as a spark plug threaded section so wont quite go down without risking damage to threads in head. Couldnt get enough suction with plastic hose connected to end of vac cleaner with gaffer tape. Rechecked all nooks & crannies at base of engine which is a lot easier with carbs etc removed. Looks like the cylinder head will have to come off.
Any suggestions re marking position of camshafts/timing gears bearing in mind I cant risk rotating engine to normal alignment for valve clearance check.
Have done valve checks in the past but have never removed a cylinder head on one of these before.
Guess bedtime reading will be the Haynes manual! :lol

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 July 2016, 05:38:36 pm »
I bought one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01B5RRYP0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to look inside my fuel tank for rust. The picture is good quality, and I have just checked - its fits down a Fazer spark plug hole....

Check it really is in there before you start pulling it to pieces.  One of these would be ideal

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 July 2016, 07:05:31 pm »
Good News! :lol   While carrying out further cleaning/dismantling I had already removed radiator for refurbishing and then took off the side plate that retains the 2 hoses from the water pump. Guess what was nestling wedged between the hoses?-yes that little "brass" spacer tube and, when I had calmed down & finished dancing around the workshop, I discovered that it is magnetic so is only coated to appear like brass-picked the little b*****d out with a magnetic screwdriver. Honestly it couldnt be seen from above or underneath!
So I am going to put it all back together once I have cleaned front of engine & checked any corrosion around oil & coolant pipes.
And YES all the inlet holes are plugged with soft clean rag.
Just had a thought (quite dangerous at my time of life!): How about attaching new inlet rubbers to carbs with the clamps BEFORE offering up carbs to cylinder head?
Am going to change the small bore rubber hoses that link between the carbs as they look past their best & I dont want to remove the carbs again in a hurry!
Thanks for all your replies/suggestions :lol

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 July 2016, 07:22:47 pm »
 :thumbup