Date: 25-04-24  Time: 10:45 am

Author Topic: hid bulbs  (Read 4097 times)

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
hid bulbs
« on: 03 October 2011, 10:18:54 pm »
anyone fitted a HID kit the their fazer? is it worth it or is the fazer headlight good enough as it is? i have not got my bike on the road yet as im trying to fix some issues on the bike

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
Re: hid bulbs
« Reply #1 on: 03 October 2011, 10:37:04 pm »
A lot of the mk1 600 guys i know fit HID's but off hand i dont know any 1000's that have. oddly as i was going along the other night i was thinking how good the 1000 lights were. i might try the philips bulbs or something along those lines but otherwise im happy with them.

Aegis Bearing Mel

• FOC-U Instakok ('05)(TM) - Just add alcohol
    Geographically Disorientated Foccer
    Stealthy for a not so fat c**t
    FOC-U DIY Disaster
    Poof the Magic Dragon
    FOC-U Fudge hunting tranny smasher
  • Administrator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 October 2011, 10:41:45 pm »
I've fitted one to my gen 2, as it's a nekkid one and only has the one bulb I reckon it's worth it.
I know theboydougie had one fitted to his gen 1, but that might also be due to us nestling up here in Scotlandshire.
Just entered the perma-dusk season for commuting, so every little helps...

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 October 2011, 08:51:48 am »
A lot of the mk1 600 guys i know fit HID's but off hand i dont know any 1000's that have. oddly as i was going along the other night i was thinking how good the 1000 lights were. i might try the philips bulbs or something along those lines but otherwise im happy with them.

funny, i think the oopsite. The Fazer thou lights aren't the worst but i don't think there great...i use Philips bulbs and yes, i do clean my lights  :) . Got some Osram Night Breakers to fit, just haven't go round to it.

As i said there not the worst lights, my mates Divvy 900 has the worst head lights  :lol

pinkbikerfzs1

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 October 2011, 12:21:01 pm »
Beware aftermarket HID kits, there was a discussion some while ago, when the EU rulemakers hinted that they would outlaw these kits as they sem to throw out dazzling light that is not controlled in the way that bulbs are, particularly on dip beam, and as such are an automatic MOT failure, I find that my standard Fazer lights are good enough for reasonable progress in the dark, always bear in mind that you could dazzle the vehicle approaching you, with possible dire consequences..

ZiggyCol

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Ducati Multistrada 950
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 October 2011, 02:41:37 pm »
I fitted an HID kit to both my 600s as the lights were crap (particularly on the original square headlight model - Foxeye was better) but the 1000's lights seem much improved and I've just replaced with superior bulbs.
....----////   Life is not a rehearsal   \\\\----....

rsciw

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 October 2011, 04:02:22 pm »
I have fitted an HID kit to my MK 1 Thou, this one -> http://www.motorbikealarm.co.uk/node/50

I decided to do it since I love riding nights, however there have been a few occasions where I didn't really see the curve coming up, so decided to go for HIDs. These things really lighten up everything, I can see anything there now :D

The thing I haven't really realized is that this kit only comes with one bulb, so the right one's HID, the left one regular now. Looks a bit stupid and should replace the left one at some point too.
Can only recommend it :)

dazedandconfused

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 October 2011, 09:40:32 pm »
I just stuck some Osram Night breakers in. Works for me.
Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light.

Gingernutz

• FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion
    June 08
    Joint winner Feb 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 October 2011, 11:02:53 pm »
Had them on my Mark 1 and now 2. On the Mk1 you should they to get a partner who is also doing it so you buy a H1 set and he buys a H4 set - split the set and you are in business. Make sure you get the telescopic H4 set so that you get HID light on Hi and lo beam (a magnet moves the bulb in and out). Make sure the sets you buy can be split - or buy two bike kits for yourself which often come as single bulb kits. The kits I have bought have been chinese ones and have been ok - no problems but you can see the quality is not fantastic but they are a hell of a lot cheaper!

theboydougie

• Fuds or spuds he ain't fussy
    Jan 09
    Joint winner Feb 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Hover Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 October 2011, 09:25:14 pm »
Yup as Aegis pointed out I fitted a HID kit to my Gen 1 about 3 or 4 years ago. I bought a single kit from fleabay for about 40 squid (chinese supplier). and it was a straight forward fit (fitted to the right hand lens as you're sat on the bike). Ballast tucked under the right fairing infill & a straight fit into the bulb holder. I just kept the standard bulb in  the left lens. My intention was to eventually do the left lense with a HID, but in all honesty, it's just not necessary as the other one is so bloody good.

My bike is ridden all year round all weather & the 40 quid kit has given me no problems what-so-ever; still on the original bulb.

It's just been through it's 3rd MOT with the kit fitted with no problems. I've been on 3 police lead instruction days & have had the bike looked over by, "traffic" after being stopped a couple of times...never has the HID been commented on negatively.

as for blinding oncoming traffic, i feel that If it's fitted well and the aim is correct with the riders (and more) weight on the bike, it shouldn't be an issue. but I know folk will contest that. I've not had any of the folks putting their lights on to high beam to tell me i'm blinding them.

Is it necessary in towns and city's? prolly not, but if you live in or commute through the countryside or enjoy a right good ride in the countryside in the dark  ;)  then imho, it's well worth doing.

theboydougie

• Fuds or spuds he ain't fussy
    Jan 09
    Joint winner Feb 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Hover Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 October 2011, 09:27:22 pm »
and as Ginge says, go for the Chinese kits...a damn site cheaper and do the job just as well as the premium kits

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 October 2011, 02:45:27 pm »
Had the chinese one on my first gen 1. No problems with them (or MOT). My second gen 1 had a premium set fitted but the bulbs failed soon after I bought it. Took a chance and bought some Chinese bulbs to fit to the HIDS4U kit. Fitted fine and worked ever since. (Also been through an MOT).

And yes ... definitely worth doing!
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.