Date: 19-04-24  Time: 14:47 pm

Author Topic: New chain and sprocket?  (Read 2794 times)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: New chain and sprocket?
« Reply #25 on: 27 April 2020, 03:14:30 pm »
WD40 is no doubt ok for a Sunday morning breakfast whizz, but even he said he'd use chain lube on a proper trip, where a daily routine of a squirt of lube at the end of a knackering day is the way to go. Centre stands really come into their own then  :lol .
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 April 2020, 04:39:12 pm »
So wd40 sounds like what I need. I only do max 100 miles in a blat out and all dry dusty, so a quick spray with wd40 will wash off grit then most will evaporate leaving a clean washed/ slightly lubed chain with nothing to fling. At the minute after applying gear oil the first 70 miles i am almost reluctant to lean over too much  :eek     
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 April 2020, 05:34:09 pm »
At the minute after applying gear oil the first 70 miles i am almost reluctant to lean over too much  :eek   

If you apply too much even of WD you will get the same result.  That said the thing to bear in mind with WD if you're not the most accurate and you over do it the mist gets on to the tyre.  This acts a bit like silicon but not as bad, if you've ever used silicon water repellent or bike sprays and got it on a disc or tyre you'll know all about it very quickly, you've got to be careful with any spray, especially light oils/silicon.

Oiling using a brush or oil can directly onto the chain, should be directly followed by you wiping/running the chain through a cloth BE CAREFUL when you do this so as not to feed your fingers into the sprocket  :eek Wipe at the bottom hand rotating the wheel towards the front of the bike slowly NEVER have the engine running and the bike in gear.   Also as this is done after each ride any surplus not caught by the wiping, will just drip off and/or drop to the lowest point, it will not drift onto discs or tyre edges.  As oil flings off it also tends to fly off into the chain guard, sprocket cover etc, yes you will get some very small traces on the tyre wall.  Only if the oil is still being added to or it's just been done, will there be a risk of the oil reaching the tread.     
Later

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 April 2020, 06:51:28 pm »

Oiling using a brush or oil can directly onto the chain, should be directly followed by you wiping/running the chain through a cloth BE CAREFUL when you do this so as not to feed your fingers into the sprocket  :eek Wipe at the bottom hand rotating the wheel towards the front of the bike slowly NEVER have the engine running and the bike in gear. 
Yep I do this

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08 May 2020, 12:13:18 pm »
Here you go, after the first 10 miles. It was oiled wiped and left for a week then wiped again before riding. But after I cleaned off what you can see there was no more.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 08 May 2020, 02:12:25 pm »
You're over oiling.

Also you've got to thoroughly and I mean thoroughly de-grease the chain and inside the sprocket cover of all your old spray on lub as adding oil softens all the hardened deposits.

Later

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09 May 2020, 10:28:00 am »
You're over oiling.

Also you've got to thoroughly and I mean thoroughly de-grease the chain and inside the sprocket cover of all your old spray on lub as adding oil softens all the hardened deposits.

its a brand new chain and sprocket and the inside of the cover area was spotless. My regime was the white spray lube like my first pictures but since my new chain I have been oiling and this is only my 3rd oil which I am doing every 300 miles.
When oiling the chain i have been using a small bottle with a pointy nosel, hold it in position on one side and spin the wheel then do the other side of the links. Next time I will use a brush to put less on but spread it around.
Oil bottle
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25205.0;attach=35162;image
« Last Edit: 09 May 2020, 10:32:39 am by fazersharp »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09 May 2020, 10:35:12 am »
Funny that I had about the same amount of fling when i used spray wax. Wonder if itts the person putting it on or something to do with the hugger.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 09 May 2020, 10:44:46 am »
This time of year and in the dry every 500 should do it.  Once the oils penetrated to the roller pins it will stay there for a good while, don't add anymore until the fling stops.  Then just a wipe with a unloaded brush on the rollers, not the side plates, the plates you can use a moisten sponge or thick rag.  You really don't need much at all, just a film on the rollers and on the roller pins  ;) 
Later

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 09 May 2020, 10:52:55 am »
It's clear I am putting too much on. But it only flings for 10 miles then nothing after. I will use your method next time. I understand the side plates are rust protected and shouldn't really need any more than a film.