Date: 27-04-24  Time: 02:17 am

Author Topic: Painting fork lowers  (Read 1005 times)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Painting fork lowers
« on: 15 April 2020, 08:01:40 pm »
Since I'm trapped at home during this lockdown I've decided to do a full brake strip and service. I've ordered new brake lines, seals, bleed nipples etc and I'm going to paint the calipers again.
I'm also looking at painting the bottom part of the forks (where the calipers attach to... ive included a picture from google) as mine are quite damaged from stone chips and I'm just wondering if I will need VHT paint for that section Or will normal paint suffice?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Painting fork lowers
« Reply #1 on: 15 April 2020, 08:31:38 pm »
I would say no need for VHT paint there. Isn't those lowers that funny paint that is not paint - like on the front FZS blu spots,  look better as they are IMO
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 April 2020, 10:16:20 pm »
I would say no need for VHT paint there. Isn't those lowers that funny paint that is not paint - like on the front FZS blu spots,  look better as they are IMO

Yeah but mine are already painted silver so now has black stone chips all over and starting to look messy

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 April 2020, 10:31:17 pm »

Yeah but mine are already painted silver so now has black stone chips all over and starting to look messy
I was looking at the dark grey bit with scuffs - the other part is fork chrome stanchions - isnt it ?
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 April 2020, 10:41:32 pm »

I was looking at the dark grey bit with scuffs - the other part is fork chrome stanchions - isnt it ?

Yes you were looking at the correct part but that's not my bike, that's just a google image so I could show the part I was referring to as I don't know what to call it haha

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 April 2020, 10:45:07 pm »
Here you go, this is my actual bike. You can see the stone chips and marks on the right side picture

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 April 2020, 12:09:51 am »
Seeing as you've got the time why don't you flat that silver off and get back to the grey ?
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 April 2020, 10:36:01 am »
Wheel paint is what you need, I would also recommend you use a quality silk or matt polyurethane (varnish) clear, it protects from chips better the wheel paint clear. 

Hunt around, as the colour shade changes from manufactures.     
Later

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 April 2020, 11:21:48 am »
Spot on thanks. Do you think I'll need to do a cost of primer etc too or will I get away with just sanding then blasting them over?

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 April 2020, 06:56:54 pm »
Spot on thanks. Do you think I'll need to do a cost of primer etc too or will I get away with just sanding then blasting them over?

It all depends how bad they're mate.  Quality wheel paint comes in a kit, some with primer, others where the colour has self levelling properties and doesn't need priming.   
Later