Date: 16-04-24  Time: 21:43 pm

Author Topic: Hello from up North!  (Read 4120 times)

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Hello from up North!
« on: 03 February 2013, 08:30:58 am »
Hi everyone,

My names Chris and I live in Shetland. Bought a blue 2002 FZS600 last year and have loved every second of it. It's my first big bike since I passed my direct access the previous year. I have found this website so helpful and I couldn't resist becoming a proper focer! Will upload a pic or two later if anyone is interested?

I've been pottering away this winter stripping bits to clean/replace and am learning how to do a lot of work myself with help of my dad. So far i've had the wheels off and powder coated gloss black as the standard satin black just never looked clean to me, blueflame exhaust, stripped and cleaned front and rear calipers, new front pads, hel braided line for the rear, clear indicator lenses (made a huge difference to the look of the bike), black double bubble screen, K&N air and oil filter and got some nice blue LED's to spruce up the dials! Think that's most of it so far!

Take care,

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from up North!
« Reply #1 on: 03 February 2013, 08:45:29 am »
hiya and welcome to the fazer fold. i am quite impressed with what uv done to ur bike as at 44 i am a mechanical moron (or just a moron sum may say :lol ) lookin frwd to some piccys.
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2013, 08:45:53 am »
Here's a pic of me with my fazer and my dads BMW F650GS dakar on our first run out together just after I got the bike. Plus some of our lovely Shetland scenery  :)

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 February 2013, 08:48:42 am »
hiya and welcome to the fazer fold. i am quite impressed with what uv done to ur bike as at 44 i am a mechanical moron (or just a moron sum may say :lol ) lookin frwd to some piccys.

Hi Exupnut, Thanks for the reply. My dad used to run his own garage and I've always been interested in mechanical things so it's nice to work on our bikes together and i'm learning a lot plus saving some money which I can spend on petrol or new parts! haha.

The above pic was just after I got the bike and had only fitted black double bubble screen and clear indicator lenses. Hopefully get some more pics of all my other mods soon! need to get the wheels back on it first though! haha

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 February 2013, 09:06:37 am »
OOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!!! its a blue 600 foxeye. (i goin slightly wobbly at the site of it)   :lol   what a wicked lookin machine. i bet ur pa very jealous as u slap his arse on the road with his paltry single cylinder rotax german grandad machine.   :rollin
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 February 2013, 09:06:52 am »
hi chris....what a great picture  :D  only thing missing is your dad  :rolleyes ....great that you have a hobby that you can share with your dad..........big meet at the brum bike shed in april that would be a good run for you  :D :D
One, is never going to be enough.....

CharlieDee

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 February 2013, 09:53:21 am »
Welcome to Foccor world Chris!! Sounds like you are giving that Fazer just what it needs!! Looking forward to seeing some pics post upgrades!!  :lol
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 February 2013, 01:17:20 pm »
OOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!!! its a blue 600 foxeye. (i goin slightly wobbly at the site of it)   :lol   what a wicked lookin machine. i bet ur pa very jealous as u slap his arse on the road with his paltry single cylinder rotax german grandad machine.   :rollin

Yes, the blue foxeye really caught my eye years ago as the one I wanted and Amazingly this one came up when I was looking about so had to just jump in. It's low mileage and from what I can tell it's been well looked after by previous owners, although they were obviously not quite as ocd about cleaning as me! haha.

As for dads bike, he can fairly shift on that bad boy! The suspension can soak up anything and he's more than capable of keeping up with the "young'uns on their so called sports bikes" haha. He's had loads of bikes through the years though, his favourite was his much loved suzuki Katana 1100 from back in the day when they were new. The bike I was first ever on with him was a Yamaha FZR 1000 genesis (pre exup), he sold it in 2007 after getting the BMW and realising he didn't need that kind of animal anymore. That thing was wicked, micron exhaust plus other mods and it bloody howled like a mad man, pulled like a train too!! Will see if I can get some pics of it. Sorry for the tome to read! haha

Chris

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 February 2013, 01:20:23 pm »
Welcome to Foccor world Chris!! Sounds like you are giving that Fazer just what it needs!! Looking forward to seeing some pics post upgrades!!  :lol

Hi Charlie Dee,

Thanks for the welcome! Hopefully all my mods are sensible and will help my bike to breath and run like a dream so here's hoping it all works! haha. I was going to replace the downpipes as well as the end can but they work at the moment and aren't leaking and really the funds are a bit tight anyway so leaving that till they go, collector is looking a bit past it but not actually blowing yet. I'll get more pics up soon though!  8)

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 February 2013, 01:28:30 pm »
hi chris....what a great picture  :D  only thing missing is your dad  :rolleyes ....great that you have a hobby that you can share with your dad..........big meet at the brum bike shed in april that would be a good run for you  :D :D

Hi red98, thanks, it is a lovely place to go up there to get a good picture or two. Yes I'm very pleased that me and dad can enjoy them together, the grin on my face is always that bit bigger when we're on a blast together  :)  Unfortunately he couldn't be in the picture as he was taking it and the pic was just taken using my phone. Here's one on the same run of him though, just for you! haha! I also think this is the best angle of my fazer, lovely lines in it from this angle.

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 February 2013, 01:41:17 pm »
hey chris - thats certainly about as north as you can get.

hows the roads up there? plenty to "play on"

if its anything like Orkney, then the weather must play havoc with your days of fun!
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 February 2013, 01:55:35 pm »
hey chris - thats certainly about as north as you can get.

hows the roads up there? plenty to "play on"

if its anything like Orkney, then the weather must play havoc with your days of fun!

Hi Lazarus, Thanks,

Yes, it is about as far north as you can get, in this country anyway  ;)
The roads up here are generally very good so can't complain about that at all, some lovely roads with lovely sweeping corners. Having said that there are a limited number of roads... Once you been riding a while then you've kind of done them all...

The weather can make things a little disappointing but we're hardy folk as well as bikers so it doesn't stop us having fun =) Billy Connolly once said that there was "no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes". Hehe. When it's nice then it's very nice and when it's wild then it's very wild. I guess it just helps us to appreciate the nice weather when its about.  :)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 February 2013, 08:53:46 pm »

Hi red98, thanks, it is a lovely place to go up there to get a good picture or two. Yes I'm very pleased that me and dad can enjoy them together, the grin on my face is always that bit bigger when we're on a blast together  :)  Unfortunately he couldn't be in the picture as he was taking it and the pic was just taken using my phone. Here's one on the same run of him though, just for you! haha! I also think this is the best angle of my fazer, lovely lines in it from this angle.

ahhhhhh....thats better chris,cant miss the old man out.........what does your mother think of it all  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 February 2013, 09:52:41 pm »
Haha, Mum quite regularly goes pillion with dad so she's happy with it all  :D

Just need to get my girlfriend to come for a run on my bike sometime, maybe this year.  ;)

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 February 2013, 09:52:59 pm »
Welcome aboard....I thought I was up north...till you came along! :rollin
Can't see you on the member map yet!

D

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03 February 2013, 10:08:18 pm »
Welcome aboard....I thought I was up north...till you came along! :rollin
Can't see you on the member map yet!

D

Cheers, I'll have to place myself on the map! Incidentally if anyone is ever planning to come up to Shetland then let me know and I'd happily show you about and you might even get a cup of tea. haha. The simmer dim rally is fantastic if anyone is looking for a way to spend a week doing stupid stuff in a field  :lol

edit: that's me on the map  :)
« Last Edit: 03 February 2013, 10:14:05 pm by Chris »

Looney tune

• Cartographic Pickpocketing Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - FZS 600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 February 2013, 12:52:18 pm »
Hi Chris

Just a wee welcome from Dumfries & Galloway. Keep an eye on the Scotlandshire thread in 'MEETS' for maybe a wee gathering in the highlands when the weather improves. The 'spring meet' is also a great weekend if your into that sort of thing, should be around 8 of us going from north of the border.
Nice clean bike you have yourself, have fun and enjoy the site, it's full of very nice people  :eek
Better to stand and look a fool than speak and prove it !
If it aint broke, I'll fix it till it is !!

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 February 2013, 01:11:42 pm »
Hi Chris

Just a wee welcome from Dumfries & Galloway. Keep an eye on the Scotlandshire thread in 'MEETS' for maybe a wee gathering in the highlands when the weather improves. The 'spring meet' is also a great weekend if your into that sort of thing, should be around 8 of us going from north of the border.
Nice clean bike you have yourself, have fun and enjoy the site, it's full of very nice people  :eek

Thanks Mr tune  :)

I'll keep an eye on things but unfortunately for me to get to any meets on the mainland then first I must endure a 12 -14 hour over night boat trip, so I don't think i'll be down for many. I would love to come to one sometime though so will keep an eye on it.  8)

Cheers for the compliments on the bike, I'm an amature detailer in my spare time so have taken the time to clean parts of the bike while it's stripped for the winter. I don't know if this will mean anything to any of you but i've given it a machine polish and it's currently finished off with Gtechniq c1, topped off with Gtechniq EXO. Have a look on youtube videos for EXO, it's incredible.

Chris

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 February 2013, 06:42:32 pm »
I think I will be able to see you on a clear day if I stand on the pier end! :lol

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 February 2013, 06:53:22 pm »
I think I will be able to see you on a clear day if I stand on the pier end! :lol

Goodluck  :rollin