Date: 29-03-24  Time: 02:11 am

Author Topic: First Euro trip - Pointers / Advice  (Read 7572 times)

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
First Euro trip - Pointers / Advice
« on: 28 December 2011, 09:55:07 pm »
My mate and I finally started to pen down some ideas over lunch today about a big trip through Europe this year. We've talked about it for a while and i've wanted to do it for years.

So, here is our rough plan....

Day 1 - Get to dover and get over to Brugge to rest for night
Day 2 - Through Belgium and West Germany to rest at Manheim (no idea what this place is like but it's just somewhere we've pinned to stop as mileage will be too high to carry on)  :z
Day 3 - Down through Stuttgart and towards Innsbruck

Somewhere between Innsbruck and Zurich we'll find a place that will be our base for a few days where we'll do day trips to the Alps, Austria and potentially North Italy but I might fancy at least 2 trips through the Alps  :D

After all this, heading back through Switzerland, brushing through France towards Luxembourg and back towards Calais. Planning to do all this in 8 days Fri - Sat but keeping Sunday spare in case we want it or need it.

I'll be looking into the legalities as much as possible but any tips are welcome. Any first timer tips are appreciated? Any obvious stuff?

Mainly any good routes that generally conform to this plan or any nice places to stay will be very welcome as never ridden abroad before so it's all new to me.

We're planning to camp whilst on route but probably find a B&B when we make our base camp between Innsbruck and Zurich.

Thanks for reading :thumbup
Brace

Trossman

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - RSV Mille
    • View Profile
Re: First Euro trip - Pointers / Advice
« Reply #1 on: 28 December 2011, 11:08:33 pm »
A few of obvious ones (having just got in from the pub!)

1. Make sure your AA/RAC cover will get the bike home if things should go shit shaped (took a Harley to Europe 3 times and only came back on it once!)

2. Europe is much bigger than the UK so expect places to be further than you think.

3. Pack your top box/panniers/haversack etc etc then take half the stuff out because you won't need it. (have toured abroad at least a dozen times and STILL pack too many pants/tee shirts/woolies!)

4. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy - roads are better, food is better, attitudes to bikers are MUCH better! 

Have a brill trip!
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible

expatmanxman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 December 2011, 11:15:20 pm »
For good roads look at www.bestbikingroads.com
IF you're going thru Switzerland look for a route that doesn't use motorways, you need a special permit and you'll be spending so little time on the Mway there it's not worth it.
Don't be too ambitious about mileage, if you try to do too much day after day it'll become a chore.
Why bother camping, Formula 1 hotels and similar budget chains are so cheap it isn't worth the trouble of lugging all your camping gear round, it'll ruin the handling of the bike and take up time packing and setting up each day. If you have a satnav the chain hotels will already be in it so finding them is easy. Book ahead on the web so there's no worries if you are running a bit late.
Don't assume all roads in Europe are better than ours, I suggest planning your route rather than making it up as you go along. Once into Europe go for 250/300 miles tops each day, your average speed for each day will probably only work out at about 30mph including all stops etc so that's a full day at 300 miles.
Pack as lightly as you can, a heavy bike is a tiring bike.
I've got several 3000 mile week long trips to France on Garmin, PM me if you want a couple sending to you, they use some of the best roads in France and you're welcome to have copies (of course you'll need a Garmin or Garmin software to look at them)
So far I've organised and run something like 15 dealer trips to Europe, got another one going this year for a Triumph dealership, if there's anything I can help you with PM me.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 December 2011, 08:51:48 am »
I tend to side with expatman here, as in my mind, preparation is important , especially for a first time trip.If you have google earth/ maps it makes life easier.Its simple to test out routes, check mileage, and average journey time.
Cant stress enuff the need for full medical and bike breakdown cover.I have seen some bad accidents over there, and basic EEC card is not enuff to cover you.
As much as I like Switzerland, its bloody expensive there at moment. I would just go into there to see sights, and actually stay in austria . I think the western end of austria is  a great place to stop, as you can access switzerland, italy and germany quite easily...and IMO austrian hotels offer best deals for overall accomodation.There are many " biker friendly" hotels offering great food and accomodation for reasonable cost.It squick to see the stelvio pass, even the dolomites are within reach...and eastern switzerland is a simple border hop.Look at Landeck on google maps, and see how central it is to all these great biking areas.
I also rate the french alps too..I have researched 3 star hotels there at around £35 a night for B & B...in great locations.IMO camping is out cos of the kit you need to carry round.Plus it sgreat to ride all day , then have an en suite room to crash in....it feels so luxurious!

As a guide, 350 miles a day including a reasonable motorway portion is about fair for travelling out to your " base". I reckon 2 days to get to western austria, 2 dys back. So thats 2 overnight stops at  a transit hotel.I use hotels .com to suss out hotels in your selected transit stop.Thers also google search for any particular town or city you pick.

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 December 2011, 09:12:18 am »
Thanks guys, really helpful stuff and reassuring too.

Trossman - Deffo plan to have proper breakdown cover, couldn't think of anything worse than breaking down over there.

Expat - We've set a rule that no more than 300 miles per day but at the mo most days are approx 260 ish which I think should be OK. Glad to hear that confirmed by you guys. My biggest issue will be luggage at mo, I hate any weight especially as my bike has a HUGE top box so it's placed in the worst place for handling etc etc. The other side though is I do like the idea of camping as it keeps our route extremely flexible as we can pitch up almost anywhere and don't have to be somewhere at particular times....difficult decision.

Pitt - Didn't think about medical tbh so well done, sure I would have covered it when the time came but good mention anyway. Deffo need to ride Switzerland, some of the images of those roads are immense but again I don't fancy a weighty top box for those hairpins.....hmmm....might look at side panniers or summat?

Phil TK

• GP Hero
  • up yer..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 December 2011, 09:18:37 am »

Day 2 - Through Belgium and West Germany to rest at Manheim (no idea what this place is like case we want it or need it.

Heidelberg is just 10 miles on from Mannheim and a more interesting place to stay, it's a true gothic  town on the riverside overlooked by a dracula type castle etc. A good place to explore german beer I might add.

If you use hotels on your trip, I can reccomend the Ibis chain as the pick of the bunch. Formula 1 and the other 'cheapies' tend to be stuck in the middle of industrial estates, or on the outskirts of town. Ibis are usually nearer to the action and are usualy only 10 euros or so more expensive (but you'll save that on that taxi you would be getting back to your Formula 1). All Ibis are good quality, consistantly clean rooms though, with nice deep baths!
 Have a great trip.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: 29 December 2011, 10:18:36 am »
Ride on the right, keep your lights on and eyes open, lane discipline is important (especially in Germany), spare bulbs, fuses and flurescent jackets, breakdown and medical cover.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 December 2011, 10:49:11 am »
Stuff camping and MAKE SURE YOUR TRAVEL INSURANCE COVERS YOU ON YOUR BIKE.

I'm shouting because I learnt the hard (and expensive) way.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 December 2011, 12:12:30 pm »
Brugge is a really nice place. I zoomed past it on the motorway many a time for 7 or so years before making a point of staying once last year. A tad expensive on hotels, but thats because its a popular place.

Agreed with others about not camping. The weather in the Alpes can be unsettled even in summer. I've always stayed hotels and B&Bs. If you avoid larger towns some of the places are very reasonable. The cheapo F1 type places are cheap, but often out of town by motorways and not pleasant settings.  Non chain places in small towns can be a bargin relatively speaking. Often you dont have time to look around a big town anyway. Sometimes you have have to stop at a few to find a place with a free room if you are in a popular area.

You can also do your washing in the shower and get it dried even if the weather is bad. So you can get away with just taking 3 or 4 t-shirts etc rather than a whole weeks worth. Although I did once leave some clothes drying on a balcony overnight and the storm in the night blew the stuff all around the lawn underneath and I had to retrieve it before breakfast  :o

Take the tunnel rather than the ferry, it is really easy and takes less time from checking in to getting off the other side. They let you take a train around +/- 2 hours of your scheduled one without any extra charge in my experience. Dont just turn up and pay on the gate, its €100.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 December 2011, 12:55:20 pm »
I can see the attraction of camping though, did it myself for many years when canoeing in the Alpes in France/Austria/Germany. Buy some beers from the supermarket and fire up a BBQ is great, when its sunny and warm. Not sure I'd want to haul all the kit around on a bike though.

Pensions here from €16 in the Black Forest http://www.schwarzwaldpensionen.de/?id=Pensionen but you might have a problem turning up on spec without booking in summer.

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 December 2011, 01:30:31 pm »
I'm surprised about how many people are advising against camping. Shame really as I do love the whole BBQ, tinnies around a fire, pitch up anywhere type thing but I fail to remember that it may not always be warm nights with clear skies and friendly camp sites as far as the eye can see.

The thought of being sodden wet, pitching a tent in a muddy field etc isn't a pleasant one. The other benefit of camping though is to reduce costs. I'm still not quite decided yet but am feeling the anti-camping vibe  :lol

Again, the tunnel would be preferrable for ease but is a lot more expensive than the ferry and we're trying to keep costs down to a minimum where poss. Not looking to scrimp and save everywhere but just want to save where sensibly possible

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 December 2011, 11:36:53 am »
Ah........the memories.

Way back when I was about 18, 3 of us went down through France and Germany camping.

Our first camp site was in Heidelberg and all went well till I discovered we had no tent pegs.

Quick trip into town and a few mimes later we found ourselves led into a chemists where a beaming assistant was offering us a box of Tampax !!!!!!!!!!!

Heaven only knows what they understood by our mimes ???? :eek
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

Tori

• Tent Pole Erector / Truck Hunter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 December 2011, 11:42:50 am »
I camped in the Pyrenees once. Never again! I was up all night in a howling gale and rode 200 miles the next day on no sleep! It's those things that make for great memories though. Take your tent and do it! :lol

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 December 2011, 01:59:22 pm »
We were camping in Austria, sitting around the campfire/BBQ getting pished. Except we all weren't as 1/2 the beer we bought was alcohol free and we hadn't understood the labeling :rolleyes

Camping would be great if the weather is good and you can find a campsite near where you want to stop.

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 December 2011, 05:34:58 pm »
Ahhh i'm just soo torn about it!!

I think the sensible thing to do over the coming months is to mock load the bike up with what i'd need if I were camping and what i'd need if I weren't.

If the camping stuff isn't adding shed loads of weight then I might just take it to have that option. If the weather is shite I can always B&B anyway. Would be nice on a nice evening to set up camp and get a fire going etc etc

We're definately making a base in a B&B in Western Austria ish so I know whatever I take will be able to be left there whilst we day trip around for a few days luggage free so not so bad regardless

Dilligaff - WTF were you miming lmao  :lol

Tori

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 30 December 2011, 06:18:36 pm »
Hopefully Rence will be along shortly to post a pic of him on his fazer when he goes camping. I have never, ever seen a bike before, or since, loaded to the capacity that his was. Mind you, mine was pretty bad with a crate of John Smiths in each pannier two up...<ahem> :lol

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 December 2011, 10:25:05 pm »
I used the tunnel for the first time this year and for the extra cost (if you book in advance) I would definitely use it again.
Even the minimum for camping with some degree of comfort and Independence will add considerable weight and bulk to the load. I tolerate it because I prefer camping, with the option of B & B if the weather is unkind. You just have to ride accordingly, but on my 600 it's so much nicer when you've made a base and can ride without it all. Bear in mind you will be doing a lot of miles getting to your base and you want to enjoy it. How anyone manages two up with camping gear I don't know.
If you do decide to camp I would make sure you know in advance where camp sites are in the areas you plan to stop at on the route you are taking. They are not all that common in some non touristy parts and you don't want to be looking for somewhere in the dark.
You will soon get used to riding on the right but have to be especially carefull at roundabouts and junctions when there seems to be traffic from all directions to confuse you.

This should be a picture of my trusty 600 loaded up with far too much gear somewhere in France, must cut back next time.

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 December 2011, 11:55:40 pm »
Never taken the bike over to Europe (other than delivering one to Paris a couple of months ago) but go over by car at least every couple of months.  Don't be swayed by the thought that the Tunnel is quicker than the ferry.  Yes it is but bear in mind that you will need to eat at some point.  I used the tunnel once but you spend the crossing sitting in the car in the train (no idea where you sit if you take a bike, on it I suppose?) rather than sitting in the restaurant having a meal and a rest.  Remember, you're planning on riding 300 miles or so immediately you get off (or in my case, driving 800 miles) so you may as well be comfortable.  You've got to eat at some point so why not use the time on the crossing as a meal break?

I would also advise using hotels rather than camping.  Hotels are everywhere and if you are running late or have strayed from your planned route, you'll find one easily.  Campsites are a lot less plentiful and, as has already been mentioned, there is no guarantee of good weather.  I once drove from Calais to Sofia in Bulgaria.  Although it was September, it started raining just as I got off the ferry and didn't stop until Hungary!

Tori

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31 December 2011, 12:56:23 am »
Limax, that looks like a weekend at the bmf for me! lol

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31 December 2011, 08:06:44 am »
I disagree about the tunnel vs ferry. The tunnel is much quicker, as much because the loading and unloading is quicker as well as the 30 min transit time.Unless you live really close to the tunnel, ones meals will be planned in terms of the whole journey. The tunnel is just part of it. I would either grab sandwich this side and eat on th etrain...or stop in France for a meal .
Often, I have stopped in dover or folkestone overnite, so the speed of the tunnel pays off in the morning.

best option I think is to stop over in france, so you also save the 1 hour time diffrence...taking an afternoon tunnel, and stopping maybe 1 hour max inside france.get a good brekkie, and fuel, then you are fresh to do some big miles right from the off.If several are meeting up, it can also be a good meet up point.

on the way back, as its all motorway, I tend to just do the big miles, as its only a day.ie travel approx 300 miles to calais from a transit stop, then 180 miles home. I spose you could still do an overnite at calais if you wanted, but its not that great a place to stop.180 miles is only 3 hrs on the motorway, so thats why I just keep going.

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31 December 2011, 11:37:27 am »
Some interesting thoughts so far.

I haven't ventured abroad on two wheels yet but have done about 3-4 thousand miles each summer with the family camping all over Europe and would love to take the bike at some point in the future. I alo would lean towards camping for the independance it gives and would also feel happier about sleeping next to my bike rather than leave it in a hotel car park away from earshot and view. Have left the car and trailer in that scenario before without event but that's maybe down to good luck rather than anything else.
For destination the Alps are magnificent and hard to beat if the weather is with you. What you quickly learn is how important the weather is when camping. The weather is more unsettled in the mountains and for that reason we have tended towards south of France lately where good weather is almost certain.

Many campers follow the good weather and select their destinations based on current forecasts. I don't think booking onto sites is necessary especially as you will only want small pitches.
Personally I would rather tour in good weather in southern France than in rain in the Alps so pehaps the way forward is to remain flexible on destination?

I also have used both ferry and tunnel (first time on the tunnel last summer cos we took the pooch) and I think I would choose the tunnel for biking, no delays due to bad weather or French fishermen striking and blocking the ports!! There is time to eat on arrival at Folkestone.

I do think the idea of an odd night in a hotel may be good.

tomjimtom

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 January 2012, 12:53:59 pm »
Don't forget, camping isn't secure, so if you're leaving things there as a base you may well come back to nothing... :(

saying that, I camped round Scotland this summer, few forrays out from the tent and nothing was taken, but I was always sure to take as much of value as I could with us.
Would cost a lot more than B&Bs/ hotels then!!

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 January 2012, 07:10:28 pm »
Yeah fair points, will consider all options again when we plan the detail.

Tom - In terms of our base, that would be a hotel/b&b so hopefully will be a little more secure. Wouldn't leave anything in a tent for the day, bound to be knicked!

wannafazer

• Hornet post whore
  • GP Hero
  • Frasers bitch !
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Foc-U
« Reply #23 on: 01 January 2012, 07:55:39 pm »
Be loose with your plans, you're bound to overestimate the distance/destinations you can comfortably do. I think I've done 10 euro trips now and certainly had a couple of "bridge too far" days on the first 5.

Camping is a great option but don't be a slave to it. if the weathers shite grab a hotel.  Go lightish on your camping gear cos' you don't to survive a Scottish blizzard, make sure it all goes in one bag, I use a medium ortlieb that bugees on the rack, that way if your hoteling it you just take it to your room and don't need to unpack it. Just bear in mind the altitude that your camping at. A beautiful alpine meadow awash with hot sunshine can cool down at night, if so, just put some clothes on in your bag.

As has been said above, don't take too much in the way of clothes, if you cock it up and are short you can just buy em.

Do make sure your bikes up to it, tyres, pads, service etc, and that's it. your away.

You'll have a ball and get addicted to it. It's what your motorbike was built for.
The only real Fazer is a carbed 600.

martynR

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 January 2012, 12:39:56 am »
I haven't travelled a lot on a bike, but did a few trips with the car. So for a few days of travel I used to sleep in a car. But when I went on a bike I used F1 hotels last year in France. There are plenty of them, but book a day or two before you come. I believe the camping is not free and the room at the hotel was about £25/night, the pay is per room and there is double bed and a single over head. I cannot imagine a holiday without a shower after a long days ride. I like it to be comfortable. And I do not like making a poo in the bush either. If I don't have money for these things than I would postpone the holiday for later. The F1 hotels are usually located in the outskirts, but I did not come to stay in a hotel for a week, because I would be disappointed  at the least. The hotels I stayed in Lyon and Paris had a car park with 2 meter fence around it, I did lock my bike to the fence and other time to the hand rail. It doesn't look that fancy anyway.

I know some chap who has travelled around Europe on a budget and for around 3 weeks at a time. He said that he used a website for a bed with strangers [size=78%]http://www.couchsurfing.org/[/size] , it's not my cup of tea but hey. He likes to wash himself in a river, eat canned food and mak a poo in a bush. And he travelled on GS500 as it is economical and rode behind lorries(reaching 3.7ltr/100km). So, when he can't find a free bed he sleeps in a bush by the road.

Choice is yours, pack all clothes in freezer bags so they won't get wet when it starts raining

Loaded with panniers and a tank bag.