Date: 27-04-24  Time: 02:32 am

Author Topic: LED bulbs?  (Read 1989 times)

Fazer99

• Club Racer
  • Private sign do not read
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
LED bulbs?
« on: 20 October 2016, 11:54:08 am »
Hi all,

As we all know the head lights on the BOXEYE fazers are crap and as I don't feel confident in doing the modifcation as shown in a thread on this wonderful forum I'm looking at the cheaper option of LED bulbs just until I can build up funds and go all out and get the lights changed to these fantastic projector kits: https://www.retrofitlab.com/en/motor-1/yamaha-fzs600-mh1-1.html

My question is (as I have spent the last week or 2 trying to find simple replacement LED design bulbs) can any of you wonderful people that know this kind of thing show me what LED bulbs to get that are a simple swap over from the standard bulbs?

As I've seen thousands, but with different watts and I have no FOCCING idea what watt I need in LED format. All I want is brighter lights to get me through the winter until I can get those projector headlights.

Thank you in advance for any help you wonderful people provide  :D
RIP my beautiful red beast 1999 to 2017 😭🏍😭

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: LED bulbs?
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2016, 01:42:26 pm »
Headlights using conventional bulbs (should) have the reflector/lens/shroud designed for the light coming from the small area of the bulb filament, LED H1 and H4 bulbs have a far larger area as the light source so you will probably find the beam pattern will be terrible and there will be a lot of light scatter to places you don't want it such as the sky or 5 foot in front of the bike.  It will probably fail an MOT for not having the proper dip beam pattern but you could always put conventional bulbs in for the MOT.

Yamaha made a bit of a mess with the headlight design but I doubt LED bulbs will be any improvement

Fazer99

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 October 2016, 02:20:04 pm »
Headlights using conventional bulbs (should) have the reflector/lens/shroud designed for the light coming from the small area of the bulb filament, LED H1 and H4 bulbs have a far larger area as the light source so you will probably find the beam pattern will be terrible and there will be a lot of light scatter to places you don't want it such as the sky or 5 foot in front of the bike.  It will probably fail an MOT for not having the proper dip beam pattern but you could always put conventional bulbs in for the MOT.

Yamaha made a bit of a mess with the headlight design but I doubt LED bulbs will be any improvement

So i'd be wasting my money using LED's then :pc Okie dokie, back to the drawing board then. I think I might just customise an LED lamp/torch thing I've got and wire it to the main battery with an extra switch on the handle bars, just to get me through the darker winter mornings.

It's a pain in the arse as I only need it for half my journey to work as when I get into the town there is plenty of street lighting, but I've nearly crashed into the trees a few times on the first half due bendy country roads, pitch black, wild animals and no road markings to use as road position markers

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 October 2016, 03:25:53 pm »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Fazer99

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 October 2016, 04:26:52 pm »
Another option.....

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,15666.msg204578.html#msg204578

I was looking at HID but the cost I found the kit priced at was a tad more than I was willing to spend if I'm going to then change to the Projector Kit. However, I've not ruled it out as I might do that instead of the projector kit.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 October 2016, 09:59:06 pm »
Another option could be to fit auxiliary lights. These would mount to the existing screws on the radiator side plates. Add a switch + relay and bingo.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331903321625?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

bikemad

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 October 2016, 10:46:11 pm »
Why not do the simple mod takes a few mins literally I done my one a few weeks ago it's better but I still need more light.
I'll try hid light but buy a car set off eBay much cheaper than one so called made for the bike Ive done other bikes &
it's a straight forward fit no wiring mods needed just find somewhere to put the ballast.
Stuff everything I've always got my bike :)

Fazer99

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 October 2016, 07:50:33 am »
Why not do the simple mod takes a few mins literally I done my one a few weeks ago it's better but I still need more light.
I'll try hid light but buy a car set off eBay much cheaper than one so called made for the bike Ive done other bikes &
it's a straight forward fit no wiring mods needed just find somewhere to put the ballast.

I would do the simple mod but Like I stated I don't feel confident doing it, I'm one of those annoying people that can't follow written instructions very well, I need to either be shown in person or via a video or step by step diagrams with more pictures than text (if you've heard of 'idiot guides' then I need 'Dumb as Fuck guides'  :lol ) I could always just get the parts required and see if I can get my mate to guide me through doing it as he is good at this kind of stuff, problem is that he lives quite a distance away so I'd have to make it a weekend trip, ah! what a shame! I'd have to spend a weekend riding my bike  :lol