Date: 20-04-24  Time: 01:53 am

Author Topic: Pimping Accessories From China  (Read 5342 times)

Fazer99

• Club Racer
  • Private sign do not read
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
Pimping Accessories From China
« on: 05 July 2016, 02:34:22 pm »
Hi all,

I looking at slightly pimping my ride with a few mods and I'm currently looking at some Red & Black CNC machined handle bar grips as well as some brake and clutch leavers on Evilbay. They are going for a cheap price and from the pictures they look really good but my concern is that they are from China as I have heard some horror stories about Cheap items from China. So thought I would ask the question here, if anyone has bought cheap Chinese parts like what I looking at and what there experiences were with them?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191473313562?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT - Handlbar Grips
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141974934064?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT - Brake & Clutch Leavers
RIP my beautiful red beast 1999 to 2017 😭🏍😭

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
Re: Pimping Accessories From China
« Reply #1 on: 05 July 2016, 02:40:04 pm »
Try using search on here, seem to remember several posts re Chinese levers
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

Fazer99

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 July 2016, 02:58:07 pm »
Try using search on here, seem to remember several posts re Chinese levers

I did have a quick scan via the search function, but answers were a bit vague (eg. they are a pile of shit or I really like them).

*If they're crap, I would like to know why and what went wrong with them
*If they're good, what is good about them.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 July 2016, 03:15:29 pm »
I have got clutch and brake levers from China ,black with red adjusters, been on bike for over six months and still look as good as new and work perfectly well. Feel comfy when using them so quite happy with them.
Also got a cheap double screen, cost only £11.50 inc delivery, fitted perfectly and so far has not got any scratches on it, was better quality than I thought it would be.
I always wonder how many parts on modern bikes and cars from new are actually made in China without the buyer being aware of it.

Shinigami

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 July 2016, 03:29:47 pm »
As it happens, i had some delivered yesterday, will be fitting them tonight and using them before the end of the week (when a few other bits are fitted)  so can give you a first impression by then

i've black and orange adjustable ones, seem decent in hand but in use could be entirely different

Fazer99

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 July 2016, 03:32:47 pm »
I have got clutch and brake levers from China ,black with red adjusters, been on bike for over six months and still look as good as new and work perfectly well. Feel comfy when using them so quite happy with them.
Also got a cheap double screen, cost only £11.50 inc delivery, fitted perfectly and so far has not got any scratches on it, was better quality than I thought it would be.
I always wonder how many parts on modern bikes and cars from new are actually made in China without the buyer being aware of it.

Cheers slappy, just the sort of feedback I'm looking for. I know a lot of genuine parts are actually made in China as I learnt that from when I used to work for Honda dealing with parts for new model builds, but I also know that a lot of sub quality fakes are also made in china eg the iPhone is made in China and so are the fakes but the fakes get stamped with made in USA and they are the ones that explode in your pocket and blow your shlong off and not in a good way  :lol

As it happens, i had some delivered yesterday, will be fitting them tonight and using them before the end of the week (when a few other bits are fitted)  so can give you a first impression by then

i've black and orange adjustable ones, seem decent in hand but in use could be entirely different

Shinigami, I await your review  :)

TOADY

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 July 2016, 03:56:11 pm »
Have a look at my thread "thinking of buying a new exhaust" to see my experience using Chinese stuff.
my momma always says, stupid is as stupid does.
that's all i gotta say about that

Fazer99

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 July 2016, 04:20:26 pm »
Have a look at my thread "thinking of buying a new exhaust" to see my experience using Chinese stuff.

I did see that thread and if it wasn't for the fact that I already have a Scorpion exhaust fitted I would've gone for that  :)

johnakay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - tracer 700
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 July 2016, 06:05:03 pm »
I've had 3 sets of Chinese levers on my bikes and on my current bike inc footrest lowers.
good quality to.
left hand foot lowers did not break when I lost my footing just bent them.
bolt etc never snapped or cracked when I straighten them
so I think they're good value and cheap as chips.
I would not hesitate buying another.
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership!

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 July 2016, 07:05:59 pm »
I have had loads of stuff from China via alibaba etc and the stuff is generally good. MX bits, levers, brake disks, master cylinders, radiators, CB radios and whatnot.

I have had a fair few sets of those "pazzo" levers and they are great cheap levers, never had any problems but they do look dated nowadays.

I think that, when buying stuff from there, you have to go in with your eyes wide open.  A lot of people expect to buy and fit and in my experience that is not always the case, you might need to (or rather want to) replace certain things (non stainless bolts or whatever), better connectors, or even make slight alterations to get them where you want them to be.

I went the whole hog with levers:

And the brake side:

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,19284.msg223383.html#msg223383

Intentionally left blank

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 July 2016, 08:28:45 pm »
I have those levers in silver, had them about a 2 months now. All works fine.
Only issues i had was with the clutch lever on the nearest setting meant that i couldn't restart the bike after a stall whilst in gear had to find neutral. Fixed by moving it one click out.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 July 2016, 08:32:26 pm »
Amazing what you can do when you ignore copyright law and pay people a pittance

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 July 2016, 09:04:11 pm »
+1 for having a couple of pairs of those pazzo copy levers, not had a problem, just had a set delivered for the thundercat, only took 3 weeks for delivery!
Some say...

Fazer99

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 July 2016, 08:22:12 am »
Thanks all for your comments. Looks like I'm going for it, I might have a re think on the handle bar grips though, as I have spotted another set I like the look of and can't make my mind up.

MB61YAM

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 July 2016, 08:27:02 am »
just fitted Chinese cnc adjustable footpegs to my Fazer8, came in under a week, cost a third of the alternatives and were actually more adjustable, quality seems fine although anodizing very thin, done a couple of hundred miles without issue.

Fazer99

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 July 2016, 08:37:27 am »
just fitted Chinese cnc adjustable footpegs to my Fazer8, came in under a week, cost a third of the alternatives and were actually more adjustable, quality seems fine although anodizing very thin, done a couple of hundred miles without issue.

Cheers buddy, footpegs will be my next items, but going to wait as the previous owner had only just fitted new OEM pegs before selling to me and I want to wait until the rubber starts to perrish before I change them  :thumbup

Shinigami

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 July 2016, 09:29:41 am »
fitted my levers yesterday with no issue, they look good, won't be able to take the bike out though and test them until i swap over my sprocket carrier (hopefully this evening)

MB61YAM

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 July 2016, 10:47:31 am »

Cheers buddy, footpegs will be my next items, but going to wait as the previous owner had only just fitted new OEM pegs before selling to me and I want to wait until the rubber starts to perrish before I change them  :thumbup

MB61YAM

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 July 2016, 10:49:58 am »

I fitted them to increase distance between seat and foot peg, they are an inch lower but still slightly higher than the oe hero blobs

Fazer99

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 July 2016, 11:07:03 am »

I fitted them to increase distance between seat and foot peg, they are an inch lower but still slightly higher than the oe hero blobs

My pegs are in the perfect place for my build, so I would only be changing them for the looks.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 July 2016, 08:32:16 pm »

ooh linky please.

Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

Shinigami

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07 July 2016, 10:14:08 am »
fitted my levers yesterday with no issue, they look good, won't be able to take the bike out though and test them until i swap over my sprocket carrier (hopefully this evening)

not test ridden yet still, new slip on exhausts are pissing water out so need to seal them...one thing after another at the moment ¬_¬

Fazer99

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 07 July 2016, 12:06:52 pm »
not test ridden yet still, new slip on exhausts are pissing water out so need to seal them...one thing after another at the moment ¬_¬

I know what you mean, my pimping project is going to have to go on hold, as I believe I might soon need new chain & sprockets :'( . Trying to hold out as long as possible so I can build my bike funds up a bit and just do a big order for all the pimping parts and general maintenance parts in one go and spend (if I can get one :lol ) a plan free weekend fitting it all.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 July 2016, 12:38:03 pm »

Not sure if theres a drain hole on at the lowest point in the system, but try drilling a small hole (2mm) where the down pipes meet the collector (collector side and underneath) should allow water build up to drain.
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

Shinigami

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08 July 2016, 12:51:57 pm »
Huzzah, ridden and tested.

The chinese levers seem to be fine, had to set the clutch one quite close in with muchos adjustment to get the biting point where I want it though compared to the original but all is well.

the pimping of the bike can continue once more. Also not noticed any water pissing out the zorst anymore, think it just needed a proper heating up, sounds so much better than stock and i've still got the baffles in)
next pimping up part to come is my rad cover then i'm going to stick side/lower fairing on when i've the money spare and a bit more orange somewhere but undecided.