Date: 28-03-24  Time: 23:13 pm

Author Topic: Transport after lockdown  (Read 1428 times)

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Transport after lockdown
« on: 09 May 2020, 09:38:32 pm »
Whilst we all hate the fact that we cannot really ride our bikes at the moment, the current situation may actually help us.
With limited capacity on public transport when people start going back to work, more people may turn to bikes again for transport rather than get stuck in traffic jams. As a result, councils may actually invest in some more bike parking, people wont be so anti-bike and we may see some new sensible bikes being made again
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
Re: Transport after lockdown
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2020, 09:50:53 pm »
Sadly I think it's the big cycling lobby groups that will win out here. They'll plough more money into cycling infrastructure, squeezing roads to fit more cycle lanes, and sticking in more rental bike stands etc. I've seen little that fills me with confidence that motorcycling will be taken seriously as method to get folk to/from work in isolation. All the headlines are boasting £2bln to support walking and cycling initiatives, but not a single mentions of scooters or motorcycles. In London, few can live close enough to the centre to realistically commute by push bike. I'm in zone 5, I have a 13 mile ride to London Bridge, my wife has 15 mile ride to Charing Cross hospital, no chance either of us can cycle that distance twice daily, all weathers after a long day working and manage kids morning/evening!

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2020, 10:04:12 pm »

Sadly I think it's the big cycling lobby groups that will win out here. They'll plough more money into cycling infrastructure, squeezing roads to fit more cycle lanes, and sticking in more rental bike stands etc. I've seen little that fills me with confidence that motorcycling will be taken seriously as method to get folk to/from work in isolation. All the headlines are boasting £2bln to support walking and cycling initiatives, but not a single mentions of scooters or motorcycles. In London, few can live close enough to the centre to realistically commute by push bike. I'm in zone 5, I have a 13 mile ride to London Bridge, my wife has 15 mile ride to Charing Cross hospital, no chance either of us can cycle that distance twice daily, all weathers after a long day working and manage kids morning/evening!
I have a solution.  You'll be able to use the cycle lanes.  You'll find getting to and from work a breeze, and though there's an inital outley, well compared to a fossil fueled motorcycle it'll be cheap as chips to run. 

Oh, yeah, its electric. :)     

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2020, 10:05:24 pm »
Cycling will win for short distance commuting but wont work for many.

Before all this crap kicked off, I could go to three bridges station anytime after 7am and then stand all the way to London due to the train already being 3/4 full. That train would still only be 1/2 way to London at that point. With what is being said now about social distancing, and trains only allowing 10% of capacity to be used, every train leaving Brighton would be at its new capacity before it even left meaning nobody living closer to London would be able to get on. Its these people that will turn to motorbikes where they cannot work from home.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 May 2020, 10:13:18 pm »
I'm a bit divided here. I'd love an electric vehicle but they're just not practical for me. Don't want to drive a car every day and an electric bike doesn't have the mileage in it for me (100 mile commute). I can't imagine what it's been like for you guys, I've been lucky enough to be running an essential business so still get to ride and it's been better than ever, sunny, dry and hardly any cars, also fuel is cheap too.
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2020, 06:19:53 am »
They've already widened pavements in some areas, to allow for social distancing and cyclists. But by doing this they will have reduced either driving or parking space.
Add this to a few people still being a bit hesitant to use public transport due to social distancing issues, this will then put even more transport on the roads.
The result......more congestion than before.

I think the cycling thing will be a fad though, and the weather will dictate when they go out riding.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2020, 10:07:19 am »
I have a solution.  You'll be able to use the cycle lanes.  You'll find getting to and from work a breeze, and though there's an inital outley, well compared to a fossil fueled motorcycle it'll be cheap as chips to run. 

Did they have to give it such a naff name tho?. 'Cowboy' :lol . I can just imagine the ribbing I'd get when I turned up at work and they spotted that. :'( . 'Howdy Cowboy YEEEHAAA!'.
Yes, the first modification would be a couple of strategically positioned stickers ;)

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2020, 01:46:29 pm »
No, it's going to be 'Ride'em Cowboy'. Definitely  :lol

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2020, 06:42:29 pm »
Did they have to give it such a naff name tho?. 'Cowboy' :lol . I can just imagine the ribbing I'd get when I turned up at work and they spotted that. :'( . 'Howdy Cowboy YEEEHAAA!'.
Yes, the first modification would be a couple of strategically positioned stickers
Have you ever considered many of the names used in the motorcycle industry.

One of the worst must be Bandit surely.

I can't help wondering who decided to call my jacket and jeans 'venom'.  Another bad name that makes me laugth is 'Black Widow Exhaust'.  I mean really.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2020, 07:08:49 pm »

£1800 quids though. Enough to buy a very reasonable Fazer... I know what I'd prefer to ride for my 25 mile round trip commute I do year round in all weathers, whilst lugging security, work laptop, change of clothes etc.

If it works for your commute, fair enough.

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2020, 07:09:33 pm »
Tell you what,the cycle bit will work for a short while,then as soon as the weather turns rough and they're struggling against wind,rain,hills,getting soaked by passing traffic,they'll soon sling 'em in the garage/shed whatever and use the cars.I'll give it 2months if that and it'll be back to clogged up towns/cities .Instead of throwing £2 billion at fucking cycling, the government would be better off encouraging people to use twist and go petrol/electric bikes,at least then they wouldn't have to battle the elements and the traffic/polution would be drastically reduced.
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2020, 07:35:45 pm »
I can't help wondering who decided to call my jacket and jeans 'venom'.  Another bad name that makes me laugth is 'Black Widow Exhaust'.  I mean really.

A-Krap-ovich...  :lol

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 May 2020, 02:07:35 pm »
The Suzuki  " Intruder",  must be the best name ever for a motorcycle.

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2020, 12:06:47 am »
How about the Honda Melody ? :lol :lol :lol :lol
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.