Date: 28-03-24  Time: 12:50 pm

Author Topic: Best fix for gen1 forks  (Read 3501 times)

stonedpillock

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Best fix for gen1 forks
« on: 24 June 2012, 07:59:16 pm »
Hi all!
I need to improve my front forks. Its now got 30k miles and I'm about to give it a make over. I've seen the piston kit on k-teck website anyone tried them? What make type of springs has anyone used?  I've got an r6 shock fitted from devilsyam which is better than stock but I must admit not as good as I was expecting after reading comments on the forum. No disrespect to Devilsyam top bloke and the shock was mint and worth the money as a budjet replacement.
Any way I really want to find the best way to improve the standard forks. Or is an R1 fork replacement really worth the money or just a way  to "bling" up the gen1 ;) 
Also I'm still on original wheel bearings had the bike from new.When you spin the wheels I can't feel any notchiness put am wondering how much longer I should go before replacing them. There is slight play in the suspension linkage which I will do. Will use genuine yam parts unless anyone can suggest a cheaper alternative of the same quality .
« Last Edit: 24 June 2012, 08:17:11 pm by stonedpillock »
The more people I meet the more I love my dogs

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
Re: Best fix for gen1 forks
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2012, 10:51:14 pm »
I went for the full ktec fork work over and find it great, for the rear I went top spec nitron and loved it. But pound for pound I think I might have gone r6 if it had been around at that time.
I'm no racer but do enjoy a blast. Doubt I really use the nitron to its full.

stonedpillock

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 June 2012, 06:38:26 pm »
When you say full work over I take it you have to send the forks to ktec to get them done? I would prefer a DIY fix as I use the bike nearly every day. How much does it cost and what is involved? Thanks for reply bud no one else seems to want to talk to me :(

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 June 2012, 07:01:29 pm »
Had it done over 2 years ago so im a little sketchy on the specifics
was just under £400 i think, maybe £360ish
this was a drop out of bike, they send a van and pick them up then 2 weeks later (was a bank holl in the middle of it ) they drop them back all sorted
includes springs rated for your weight/style of riding. comp and rebound etc sorting out (they also replaced a adjuster that had siezed up for me) plus as expected a full service.

they were set up on what they thought would be the best settings given the info i gave them and to be honest i played a little but returned to thier settings as they worked so well.

i have heard lots ot other attempts at sorting forks from coins in the top to dif weight oils or new springs.
if you want to go diy then a new set of Ktec springs (or springs of your choice from where ever) and a service with fresh oil makes a fair diff. Ktec are pretty good at working out the best spring combo with oil to use for you but then so can many other fork guys.

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 June 2012, 08:42:19 pm »
Go to

http://yamahafz1oa.com/ and do a search for fork mods.

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 June 2012, 09:53:22 pm »
I have fitted R6 forks but you wont like them if you didn't like the R6 rear.

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 June 2012, 10:17:04 pm »
There is slight play in the suspension linkage which I will do. Will use genuine yam parts unless anyone can suggest a cheaper alternative of the same quality .
There is slight play in the linkage its norm so dont waist good money to find out you still have play.
Dave  ;)

Ian-man

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 June 2012, 10:34:15 pm »
Well I have the R6 rear shock mod, which is way better than the std knackered shock.

Front forks I went for k-tech springs news seals and 10w oil as specced by k-tech. The springs are rated 9.5 which seems much harder than the original 8.0/12.5 yamaha ones. I have found only a medium improvement, not as firm as I expected but the front doesn't crash on the bumps like before.

I was told the difference isn't as marked because the Yamaha springs were  progressive so initial sag and wear causes most of the initial lighter (8.0) end to be used up so when you start hitting bumps the springs are hitting the heavier (12.5) end so it is hard and crashes on the bumps.
The K-tech springs are linear so they are 9.5 all the way along and therefore still feel soft but the forks still follow the bumps better.

However if money was no object then a new shock built for my weight and riding  with full cartridge rebuilt forks also for my weight/style would obviously be much better but for my weekend blasts it's hard to justify the price.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 June 2012, 05:10:20 am »
If you want to change out the suspension linkage bearings and seals, I recommend Marc at BikeBearings.co.uk.  He put together a kit for the Fazer at our request. :)

http://www.bikebearings.co.uk/

You won't find pattern parts for the linkage collars, though, only genuine Yamaha spares.  Like CableTie said, you'll still end up with 1 - 2mm of vertical freeplay.

What were you expecting from the R6 shock?  In what ways does it disappoint you?   Just curious to understand so that I can offer you realistic advice on the forks because you may be hoping for more than any of the usual options deliver.  :)

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 June 2012, 09:28:02 am »
I have the R1 forkes with R6 shock and cant fault it regardless of who and what is on the bike i.e pillion givi luggage and tent, it performs very well at all times
"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

Timbo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 June 2012, 10:10:14 pm »
Hagon shock and fork springs and their recommended oil weight 7.5 instead of 5W.

Suits me! and I like to ride it hard. As a point of interest I feel as if the bike is nicely balalnced as I actually wear out the front and back tyres at the same time!

Cheers

Timbo :)

stonedpillock

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 July 2012, 06:17:34 pm »
Cheers guys!
Yet again the foccers have come up trumps! Plenty to consider there. Think I may have come over a bit harsh regards the R6 shock. I do think it is a great value for money mod. I think I have been a bit spoilt by my other bike which I have recently sold :'( it was a KTM950sm that had a top spec WP rear shock and is the best handling bike I've ever owned in 23 years of biking. Had to sell one bike as doing house refurb and need all the cash I can get. The KTM had one or two reliabilty issues which meant it had to go as the Fazer has been faultless in 32000miles. Would not hesitate to get another KTM when I can afford it though great fun bikes.