Date: 26-04-24  Time: 05:03 am

Author Topic: Thinking of getting rospa certified  (Read 3347 times)

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Thinking of getting rospa certified
« on: 27 January 2015, 06:04:09 pm »
As title, been thinking about it for ages but my main drive now is to join a volunteer blood/NHS bike service.
My question really to any advanced riders is will a tired 2002 foxeye 600 60k miles and used everyday, be an adequate bike for training and test??  Keeping up with all those big bemers?

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
Re: Thinking of getting rospa certified
« Reply #1 on: 27 January 2015, 06:42:38 pm »
Don't see why not. Currently just started an IAM course on my very similar Fazer. Quite a mixed bag of bikes and people on the IAM course intake I'm in with. Surely, it's not what you ride, but how you ride.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 January 2015, 06:52:22 pm »
Not sure about rospa, but I believe iam's only stipulation is that it's a 500 or greater

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2015, 07:15:47 pm »
Don't see why not. Currently just started an IAM course on my very similar Fazer. Quite a mixed bag of bikes and people on the IAM course intake I'm in with. Surely, it's not what you ride, but how you ride.

Yep that's what I was hoping!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 January 2015, 07:26:38 pm »
I looked into the volunteer blood/NHS bike service but it seemed that there were just too many restrictions, like you had to be ROSPA or IAM and then if i couldn't guarantee so many days or hours then I could not use the volunteer blood bike that they pass around and so I would have to use my bike, only at my cost I would have to fix a massive tea tray on the back.
Im sure that you know but its not just blood it could be things like urgent documents even.
« Last Edit: 27 January 2015, 07:27:57 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 January 2015, 08:32:22 pm »
I looked into the volunteer blood/NHS bike service but it seemed that there were just too many restrictions, like you had to be ROSPA or IAM and then if i couldn't guarantee so many days or hours then I could not use the volunteer blood bike that they pass around and so I would have to use my bike, only at my cost I would have to fix a massive tea tray on the back.
Im sure that you know but its not just blood it could be things like urgent documents even.
Yeah I get its not all frills!  And I get that most is about fund raising and keeping the service  going!!
Yes it will cost me in training and handover bikes etc.....  But its more worthwhile than a few quid donation each month?

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 January 2015, 09:46:24 pm »
I ride for NW blood bikes and use my Thundercat with just a top box fitted with no probs at all.

Don't know about other areas, but for the NW you only need advanced if you want to ride the blue light bikes And to be honest they rarely put the blue lights on, as the legislation won't let them break any laws, so they're pointless really.

I'd look into it a bit further if I were you and see if you really need the advanced ticket if your after being a blood biker.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 January 2015, 10:03:21 pm »
Depends (to answer stevie's last point) on the local group - ok Northumbria Blood Bikes, we insist on riders having an advanced ticket. But then we also don't allow use of private vehicles, and pay for the fuel in the charity bikes - so overall, it's going to work out a lot less than not doing iam/rospa, but buying your own fuel. Some of our riders are doing 200 miles in a shift, doesn't take many shifts before you're better off.

But of course, it's not about the money - the satisfaction can be (is)  huge.
« Last Edit: 27 January 2015, 10:03:55 pm by richfzs »

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 January 2015, 10:04:57 pm »
I ride for NW blood bikes and use my Thundercat with just a top box fitted with no probs at all.

Don't know about other areas, but for the NW you only need advanced if you want to ride the blue light bikes And to be honest they rarely put the blue lights on, as the legislation won't let them break any laws, so they're pointless really.

I'd look into it a bit further if I were you and see if you really need the advanced ticket if your after being a blood biker.
Thanks Stevierst  I will look closer, the group I was looking at are freewheelers. Org
They have full spec blood bikes.... But as you say most deliveries  are info or bits.  I would happily courier on my own bike if I could be of use and meet the deadlines?
I know a civil can't fully utilise blue lights but it's a great way of people seeing and making space for you whilst you ride perfectly legally!!!

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 January 2015, 10:13:08 pm »
Depends (to answer stevie's last point) on the local group - ok Northumbria Blood Bikes, we insist on riders having an advanced ticket. But then we also don't allow use of private vehicles, and pay for the fuel in the charity bikes - so overall, it's going to work out a lot less than not doing iam/rospa, but buying your own fuel. Some of our riders are doing 200 miles in a shift, doesn't take many shifts before you're better off.

But of course, it's not about the money - the satisfaction can be (is)  huge.
That's the kinda information I was given!
I don't mind paying for the ticket, I don't mind my time and effort........ And yes as a focca  I wouldn't mind a blast on a 1200rt
Lol

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 January 2015, 10:14:59 pm »
Not sure about rospa, but I believe iam's only stipulation is that it's a 500 or greater

IAM stipulations that the vehicle must be able to maintain the national speed limit, i.e. 70mph. With out help like doing 70 on a 125 downhill,  :lol
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 January 2015, 10:23:43 pm »

IAM stipulations that the vehicle must be able to maintain the national speed limit, i.e. 70mph. With out help like doing 70 on a 125 downhill,  :lol
Lol...... Good input!  Cheers Skippernick :)  lol

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 January 2015, 07:33:27 am »
If you use your own bike surely you'd need courier insurance to be legal!?
Some say...

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
« Reply #13 on: 28 January 2015, 07:44:43 am »
Yes 600cc is fine, speaking from IAM you learn at your own pace, go along and have an assessment ride which is free and no commitment needs to be made.

http://www.iam.org.uk/riders/riders-courses/advanced-riding/skill-for-life-motorcyclists

http://www.iam.org.uk/iam-groups/iam-groups-directory/search

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 January 2015, 07:55:00 am »
If you use your own bike surely you'd need courier insurance to be legal!?
Generally no, as it's not paid work. Depends on the insurance company of course, and the op will need to inform his, to be certain, but I'm fleet manager for Northumbria Blood Bikes, and our policy is sd&p - they're fully aware of what we do.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 January 2015, 08:33:27 am »
Yeah, we've been told to contact insurance companies and ask them.
I'm told vast majority of companies as richfzs said just want to be told, but some want buisness insurance which will cost peanuts.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 January 2015, 01:16:26 pm »
great that you're thinking about blood bikes but either way, do your IAM or RoSPA

the amount you will learn is unbelievable and you'll be a far better rider for it, no matter how good or bad you think you are now

the fazer will be fine, done mine on a 650 bandit. don't worry about keeping up with the beemers.........as an advanced rider you'll be riding at the speed limit all the time (unless conditions dictate otherwise)

it doesn't even matter if you don't pass the test at the end, the knowledge you'll gain is invaluable
fire never sleeps

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 January 2015, 04:26:22 pm »
I have also been thinking of joining the Blood Bikers as they were asking for volunteers in Lancashire
I not bothered about using the charities bikes  ,be an excuse to buy a nice Suzuki DR750 or Africa Twin as a 2nd bike :-)

Only thing holding me back is I work long hours so really only 1 weekend day is up for grabs
I could do mid week but I don't get home until 18.00 and I could be doing a 18 hour day which is likely to be frowned on by someone  :\

Its just a ride

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #18 on: 28 January 2015, 11:41:44 pm »
As title, been thinking about it for ages but my main drive now is to join a volunteer blood/NHS bike service.
My question really to any advanced riders is will a tired 2002 foxeye 600 60k miles and used everyday, be an adequate bike for training and test?? 

I did my IAM Test on a 600 FZ6, so I don't see why not :thumbup