Date: 25-04-24  Time: 13:39 pm

Author Topic: New Edition of Motorcycle Roadcraft - Don't Buy!  (Read 2154 times)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
New Edition of Motorcycle Roadcraft - Don't Buy!
« on: 13 September 2013, 11:34:15 am »
So, after many years, a new edition of Motorcycle Roadcraft has been published.

Now I used to recommend the old version to riders as it contains some very useful advice, however the new version is a major cluster-foc.

In the acknowledgements it says:

"This edition of Motorcycle Roadcraft has been approved by the Association of Chief Police Officers for England and Wales, and Police Scotland who are satisfied that is reflects current best practice in police rider instruction and takes into account the relevant views of civilian experts."

However it then contains such gems as:

At junctions when visibility is low, wind down your window and listen for other vehicles...

It seems that a lot of it has simply been cut-and-pasted from the Car version without any bikers actually proof-reading it so, for instance it advises

Where a queue has formed because of an obstruction in the road ahead, never try to jump the queue. It annoys other road users and can be dangerous.

So does that mean I shouldn't filter when traffic is stopped??

If you look at the reviews on Amazon etc it's getting a slating. Frankly this "New and Improved" edition seems a complete dog's breakfast and needs to be withdrawn, revised and republished, so either get the old version or wait until they've fixed the problems with this one :(

mickdel

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: New Edition of Motorcycle Roadcraft - Don't Buy!
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2013, 12:56:09 pm »
I've met a few ACPO, and they live in a different world.   They now go with the PC first mentality,  rather than operational effectiveness.   
Head Focced