Date: 19-04-24  Time: 00:44 am

Author Topic: Scottish TT  (Read 4101 times)

AL

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Scottish TT
« on: 13 March 2012, 10:47:37 am »
Plans for IOM TT-style race in Scotland gather pace

Plans to hold an Isle of Man TT-style race meeting on the borders of England and Scotland are gathering pace with organisers getting backing from MPs, local councillors, racers and race teams.

If given the go ahead, the plans would see races happen around the Jedburgh area of Scotland, which is 10 miles from the border with England, with a programme seeing Supersport, Superbike/Superstock, Supertwin and a sidecar event being run.

"This would keep the event small enough as not to stand on the toes of established race meetings like the Northwest 200 or the Isle of Mann TT. However, it would be hoped that it could generate interest from racers and others, and be used as a tester for large events or track racing by teams until it becomes an event in its own right," said a spokesman.

The Irish road racing fraternity are very keen for this to go ahead and have even expressed an interest too include it in their yearly race calendar. The dream of this becoming a large event in its own right is a possibility, with financial gain for businesses and the area as a whole on a large scale."

The proposed circuit would be 11.1-miles in length and begin on the A68 outside Border Meringues, go north to Bonjeward on the A68 turning left towards Cleekamin, then right off the A68 onto the A698 towards Hawick. Left at the junction with the B and over the Dunion Hill. The it turns north towards Jedburgh entering the Castlegate and towards the town. Turning right at the junction on the Castlegate and the Canongate before roceeding down the Canongate turning left onto A68 and towards the start/finish.

Supporters of the scheme include: Scottish ACU, ACU, Cameron Donald, Mark Buckley, Michael Pearson, Michael and William Dunlop, Ryan Farquhar, Phil Jessopp, Colin Appleyard and Clive Padgett.

http://www.bikesportnews.com/news-detail.cfm?newstitle=Plans-for-IOM-TT-style-race-in-Scotland-gather-pace&newsid=6535

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish TT
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2012, 01:43:49 pm »
If this happens i'll have died and gone to heaven..

We have great roads and would be good for tourism.

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 December 2012, 09:56:41 pm »
Plans for IOM TT-style race in Scotland gather pace

Plans to hold an Isle of Man TT-style race meeting on the borders of England and Scotland are gathering pace with organisers getting backing from MPs, local councillors, racers and race teams.

If given the go ahead, the plans would see races happen around the Jedburgh area of Scotland, which is 10 miles from the border with England, with a programme seeing Supersport, Superbike/Superstock, Supertwin and a sidecar event being run.

"This would keep the event small enough as not to stand on the toes of established race meetings like the Northwest 200 or the Isle of Mann TT. However, it would be hoped that it could generate interest from racers and others, and be used as a tester for large events or track racing by teams until it becomes an event in its own right," said a spokesman.

The Irish road racing fraternity are very keen for this to go ahead and have even expressed an interest too include it in their yearly race calendar. The dream of this becoming a large event in its own right is a possibility, with financial gain for businesses and the area as a whole on a large scale."

The proposed circuit would be 11.1-miles in length and begin on the A68 outside Border Meringues, go north to Bonjeward on the A68 turning left towards Cleekamin, then right off the A68 onto the A698 towards Hawick. Left at the junction with the B and over the Dunion Hill. The it turns north towards Jedburgh entering the Castlegate and towards the town. Turning right at the junction on the Castlegate and the Canongate before roceeding down the Canongate turning left onto A68 and towards the start/finish.

Supporters of the scheme include: Scottish ACU, ACU, Cameron Donald, Mark Buckley, Michael Pearson, Michael and William Dunlop, Ryan Farquhar, Phil Jessopp, Colin Appleyard and Clive Padgett.

http://www.bikesportnews.com/news-detail.cfm?newstitle=Plans-for-IOM-TT-style-race-in-Scotland-gather-pace&newsid=6535

Sent from my villa in the South of France.

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 December 2012, 10:05:58 pm »
they are also building some sort of motorcycle track down here in rassau ebbw vale wales, 500 millon of private money being invested, planning approved contracts for work being awarded.
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

GringoRojo

• Otter baiting foccer
    FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion 2010
    Aug 08
    Oct 08
    Sept 09
  • GP Hero
  • a Doonhamer in exile
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger800XC
    • View Profile
    • a two wheeled charity ride without engines
« Reply #4 on: 31 December 2012, 02:04:01 am »
Be good if they can pull it off.  Big events very limited up here since the world rally moved to Wales years ago and this year the world trials championship didn't run.

budgiemurray

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 December 2012, 09:33:18 am »
Not really a big fan of racing but I must say if that Scottish TT gets the go ahead Ill go down and see it, its only about 20 miles from me and the roads there are good enough to pull off something worth seeing!
If your on Facebook and want the latest news and details then go here - https://www.facebook.com/#!/BordersTt or search online for "Borders Race of the Reivers"

Budgie
« Last Edit: 31 December 2012, 09:36:33 am by budgiemurray »

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 January 2013, 11:01:54 pm »
I'm sure I read in an alcohol induced haze that there was going to be a TT style race on the south coast near Southampton.
That would be awesome.

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

fazed

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 February 2013, 12:11:29 pm »
A TT style race in Scotland sounds good - no more being stung by the Isle of Man Steam Packet company!
Still, better get the passport in order in case Scotland's outside the UK after 2015 !

This is as young as you're ever going to be!

Lonewolf

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 February 2013, 04:17:04 pm »
I've often dreamt of that happening up in the 'Borders', if done properly I reckon it'll get massive support.
The area has been and is a hotbed for road racers. Bring it on I say.  8)

mickdel

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 June 2013, 11:49:05 pm »
If they can do it in Ireland,  I'm sure there's a way round Elf n Safety to be found.    There'd be lots of paddies visiting for a start.   I hope something comes of it,  although I'd think to start with an 11mile course is a bit ambitious.  The NW is around 11 miles,  and the UGP is around 7ish.   Much easier to ensure roads are in good nick, over a shorter course.      The Tandragee would be a good distance.   (5 and a half miles).

Anyone going over for the Ulster Grand Prix?   My favourite all time road circuit.   Lap record is over 130mph.    Great roads,  and one of the only ones left,  where you can batter your way into a bush by the roadside, and have your elbows on the road,  with bikes 1metre away from you.   
Head Focced

* Crash.Net racing newsfeeds

MotoGP

World Superbikes

British Superbikes

RSS to JavaScript