Date: 28-03-24  Time: 19:51 pm

Author Topic: Tyron Bands  (Read 2086 times)

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Tyron Bands
« on: 25 February 2020, 08:17:50 pm »
Never heard of these until today. Id arranged for 4 new trailer tyres to be fitted to the dual axle horse trailer, bought and paid online with a national chain at the weekend. Turned up this morning at the allotted time slot, the guy said he wouldn't jack the trailer up as it had no specific jacking point. He followed that up by declaring that he couldn't fit new tyres on the rims anyway as he believed they were fitted with Tyron Bands, and they didn't have the tools to take off and refit the bands.

Id never heard of them before. Anyone on here had any dealings with them? Are they actually necessary on a dual axle trailer?

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: Tyron Bands
« Reply #1 on: 25 February 2020, 08:55:41 pm »
I think they are mainly used on caravans to stop tyre coming off rim in event of a puncture,  don't think they are necessary  on a dual axle.
You definitely need a special tool to remove or fit them.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: 25 February 2020, 09:23:03 pm »
More details here

http://www.caravantimes.co.uk/video/insurance/safety/video-why-fit-tyron-bands-to-your-caravan-s-wheels-$21383092.htm

forgetting the band for now, if the dealer cannot jack up a trailer under the axle stubs, he isnt a dealer I would use again.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 February 2020, 06:45:23 am »
The bands look simple to fit with normal tools on this video. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vDuwL5DWfU
« Last Edit: 26 February 2020, 06:47:13 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 February 2020, 08:13:15 am »
The bands look simple to fit with normal tools on this video.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vDuwL5DWfU
That video looks quite straightforward, but you'd need the long allen key, which should be given to the purchaser as part of the kit, and know what the required torque setting is. If you went to a non Tyron Band approved tyre depot, I can't see them allowing an individual to dismantle and refit the bands. I have enough trouble getting to watch my bike tyres being fitted to ensure the rims aren't marked. :)
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 February 2020, 11:35:58 am »
Never one to give up easily, I cut a tyre of one of the wheels this morning , and there was no band fitted. Bear in mind this is an original tyre and wheel, never been off for puncture repair. I took this rim back to the same national tyre company and asked if they would now fit 4 new tyres to the wheels if I took them off and brought them down. Astonishingly, they said that although that wheel didn't have a band, the other 3 might so they couldn't guarantee they be able to fit the tyres. Quite why a company would supply and fit bands to some but not all tyres on a trailer is anyone's guess, but at this point I decided that this company didn't actually want my money, so left.

Regardless of any perceived merit for the bands, the trailer has never had them from new. As its a double axle, I'm not going to have bands retro fitted, and have decided to go for 4 new complete tyres and wheels for marginally more than the 4 tyres would have cost.

What a foccin palava

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 February 2020, 07:54:44 pm »
That's mad. As you say the bands are usually chosen for single axle trailers/caravans. What made them think you had the bands fitted in the first place, because as far as I can make out, a sticker is the only giveaway until the tyre is started to be removed. They're not cheap either.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 February 2020, 08:14:13 pm »
The tipping point was when the chap told me that the words "STEEL BELT RADIAL" on the tyre referred to the fitting of a Tyron Band. Rather than tell him that it refers to the reinforcement under the tread actually, I decided not to have this clown fitting my tyres. I picked up 4 new wheels complete with tyres this afternoon from elsewhere

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 February 2020, 09:54:31 pm »
It's quite scary the stuff "professionals" come up with. When I had my bike tyres balanced the week before last, they gave me the front with 3 lots of weights on the rim.Thirty grams by the valve with 30 grams directly opposite(thereby cancelling each other out) and a further 15 grams placed elsewhere. I noticed that the marker dots on the tyre hadn't been lined up by the valve. I said I wanted the tyre refitted with the dots on the valve and the wheel rebalanced. They reckoned the dots made no difference and I'd have to pay again for a rebalance if the same amount of weight was needed. They refitted the tyre and then discovered their dynamic wheel balancer was faulty and refunded the original balancing fee. That caused another problem as the alternative tyre fitters in my area then charged top dollar for balancing as I haven't bought the tyres from them. How long the first companys balancer had been faulty was anyone's guess. God knows how many cars and bikes had left that tyre depot with ridiculous amounts of wheel weights. Virtually everything I've had done professionally recently has had some sort of a problem. Just makes you wish you could do everything yourself.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 February 2020, 08:35:00 am »
Think it was a random YouTube video i clicked on the other day, but before all this Tyron Band stuff was mentioned, which was new to me, i saw a fella fitting a tyre on a narrow motorcycle wheel, from maybe a 50cc bike, and he inserted what looked like hard foam tubular pipe cladding inside the tyre before finishing the job that would also act like a run flat after a puncture which i thought was very imaginative yet so simple and probably really effective too. There's no weight to the foam so there wouldn't be any unwanted side effects.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 February 2020, 10:24:49 am »
Used to run mousses on my enduro, expensive but no fear of punctures. Interesting handling on the road though. Would have thought the idea could have advanced now to create puncture free tyres.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 February 2020, 08:28:59 pm »

I have my motorbike tyres supplied and fitted at the bike shop I use. I just drop the bike off and let them do the whole job.
Might cost a bit more I guess, but I've got the peace of mind that they know how to deal with bike wheels properly.

I'd never heard of Tyron Bands before, but they sound like more bother than they're worth to me.
« Last Edit: 27 February 2020, 08:30:05 pm by YamFazFan »

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 February 2020, 10:35:47 pm »
It's quite scary the stuff "professionals" come up with. When I had my bike tyres balanced the week before last, they gave me the front with 3 lots of weights on the rim.Thirty grams by the valve with 30 grams directly opposite(thereby cancelling each other out) and a further 15 grams placed elsewhere. I noticed that the marker dots on the tyre hadn't been lined up by the valve. I said I wanted the tyre refitted with the dots on the valve and the wheel rebalanced. They reckoned the dots made no difference and I'd have to pay again for a rebalance if the same amount of weight was needed. They refitted the tyre and then discovered their dynamic wheel balancer was faulty and refunded the original balancing fee. That caused another problem as the alternative tyre fitters in my area then charged top dollar for balancing as I haven't bought the tyres from them. How long the first companys balancer had been faulty was anyone's guess. God knows how many cars and bikes had left that tyre depot with ridiculous amounts of wheel weights. Virtually everything I've had done professionally recently has had some sort of a problem. Just makes you wish you could do everything yourself.
I got fed up with paying to have tyres fitted and balanced so I bought a manual tyre fitting machine and balances for bike and car tyres. Saved a fortune by buying good tyres cheap via tinternet and fitting them myself.
Here's the video of it in use

https://youtu.be/hun05YrvKmY
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 February 2020, 11:53:30 pm »
The bands look simple to fit with normal tools on this video.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vDuwL5DWfU
That video looks quite straightforward, but you'd need the long allen key, which should be given to the purchaser as part of the kit, and know what the required torque setting is. If you went to a non Tyron Band approved tyre depot, I can't see them allowing an individual to dismantle and refit the bands. I have enough trouble getting to watch my bike tyres being fitted to ensure the rims aren't marked. :)

I can't believe this! I thought mine was a one off,I had 2 tyres fitted at a honda dealership on a Pan European and when I picked them up there were marks on both wheels but the front was a joke,I told the mechanic and he said they were like that,I started fuckin and blinding and said I wanted to see the gaffer who sided with the mechanic and said he'd already called the law,I said great I'll fucking tell them what's gone on,they didn't come,he hadn't called them at all,I was right pissed off and wasn't going to get anywhere so fucked off.I initially painted them but wasn't happy and got them powder-coated,with new bearings it cost a right few bob,I NEVER don't watch when I'm having tyres fitted anymore but an expensive lesson!
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 February 2020, 06:07:41 am »

I can't believe this! I thought mine was a one off,I had 2 tyres fitted at a honda dealership on a Pan European and when I picked them up there were marks on both wheels but the front was a joke,I told the mechanic and he said they were like that,I started fuckin and blinding and said I wanted to see the gaffer who sided with the mechanic and said he'd already called the law,I said great I'll fucking tell them what's gone on,they didn't come,he hadn't called them at all,I was right pissed off and wasn't going to get anywhere so fucked off.I initially painted them but wasn't happy and got them powder-coated,with new bearings it cost a right few bob,I NEVER don't watch when I'm having tyres fitted anymore but an expensive lesson!

I had to try somewhere different to have a tyre fitted about 10 years ago, and had a similar thing with chunks taken out of the paintwork by a young lad who treated the wheel like an everyday car wheel.
My main bike shop is a family business with old school mechanics there so i won't go anywhere else now, but buying tyres from Oponeo then taking the wheels in loose has always still saved me quite a few quid compared to riding a bike in and buying off the shelf.
And my last rear tyre was a bit of a nightmare to fit as they reckon it had been squashed at the bottom of a pile so the rims wouldn't seat properly, then ended with them giving me someone else's tyre to get me on my way. I'd have been fooked if i had all that kerfuffle on my own at home.   

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 February 2020, 12:22:17 pm »
I always take my wheels in to my local bike shop to be fitted, gotta try and keep these local traders in business cos they dont fleece me.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 February 2020, 12:54:46 pm »
This was my first experience using Oponeo and their nearest approved fitter to me. The fitting experience was top notch as the guy lined the jaws of the hydraulic tyre machine with loads of paper towel, to preserve my newly powder coated wheels. It just all went wrong when I returned to have them balanced after installing the bearings, discs etc. They did say they were thinking of ditching the Oponeo agency as they earned so little money out of it. Their charge for fitting and balancing tyres to loose wheels is £24.50, which in my neck of the woods is very reasonable, considering they are making nothing out of the tyres. Other local firms would want £40 if they weren't supplying the tyres. However, despite all the aggro I still saved £65.50 on the price I was quoted to supply and fit by my local tyre company.
For years bikers in my area had been spoilt by having a bike only tyre guy in the locality. Fast Bike magazine used to use him all the time when that mag was based in Croydon. Since his retirement I'm left with a very limited choice.
Maybe 10 years ago buying a tyre fitting gadget would have been a good idea, but now, I don't think I'll have enough biking years to get enough use from one. Most of my similar aged biking pals have moved away, otherwise a group buy would have been an option. The younger ones have got so much dough, they just buy another bike when the tyres are worn out :lol .(Slight exaggeration, but you get my drift.)
« Last Edit: 28 February 2020, 01:05:23 pm by robbo »

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #17 on: 28 February 2020, 06:57:40 pm »
I always take my wheels in to my local bike shop to be fitted, gotta try and keep these local traders in business cos they dont fleece me.

Yep, that's why Russ' Tyres down here in Portsmouth gets such high recommendations from many bikers in the area :thumbup

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 February 2020, 08:16:06 pm »
Think yourself fortunate if Russ is the man, that's 70 odd miles away from me. Appreciate him whilst he's there.
I always take my wheels in to my local bike shop to be fitted, gotta try andep these local traders in business cos they dont fleece me.

Yep, that's why Russ' Tyres down here in Portsmouth gets such high recommendations from many bikers in the area :thumbup

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 February 2020, 08:21:09 pm »
Screwed that up. Was trying to reply to Grahamm's post.