Date: 16-04-24  Time: 21:24 pm

Author Topic: Bouncy bouncy  (Read 5611 times)

Fatwasp

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
Bouncy bouncy
« on: 14 July 2013, 09:57:21 am »
Hi folks,
Loving my new Fazer8. Anyone got any advice on suspension improvement. I've got a model without the adjustable sussy. I'm 13st and need better damping and less dive at the front. The rear just needs better damping as preload is adjustable. I can't afford new shocks would stiffer springs and heavier fork oil help and is this something a dealer could do? Any ideas on cost?
Cheers

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
Re: Bouncy bouncy
« Reply #1 on: 16 July 2013, 07:58:10 pm »
Can't help my friend, I,ve got the earlier version with only pre-load adjustment :'(
Hope you get it sorted :)
If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2013, 07:01:33 pm »
I, well the dealer, put Ohlins fork springs and heavier oil in my forks and it was an improvment. The Ohlins fully adjustable rear shock replacement was a big improvement.

I've noticed on the box it says FZ1/FZ8, so looks to be the same dimensions & fitting. On the FZ1 board there is an upgrade to R6 shock thread, so you could get hold of a 2nd hand R6 shock of the correct model, or even buy the FZ1 shock off anyone wo has done the R6 mod and has an FZ1 shock lying around.

Strifae

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 July 2013, 03:44:41 pm »
The R6 shock upgrade only works on the FZS1000 not the FZ1 and hense not the FZ8 I am afraid :(

I was looking at it originally to upgrade my FZ1's suspension - but alas no can do.

The FZ1 shock is fully adjustable and does fit the FZ8

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 July 2013, 07:37:08 pm »

The FZ1 shock is fully adjustable and does fit the FZ8

Now that is very interesting, thanks very much for the info  :thumbup
If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans.

Fatwasp

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 July 2013, 10:47:00 pm »
Thanks for the input lads. Much appreciated.

Just put 300 miles on it this weekend around Monmouthsire's lanes. It only gets a bit tastey on poorly surfaced B roads. Still remains predictable but have been kicked out of the seat a couple of times.

Must admit, third gear is very flexible between 30 and 100 on the twisties. Hit the limiter a couple of times... any thoughts about running-in periods? I confess to having been lost in the moment and neglected the manufacturers instructions!! 

Grandma

• Club Racer
  • What it says on the tin
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 July 2013, 07:49:32 pm »
Have a similar problem for a different reason, because I am so light! Had the suspension looked at when I was at Brands Hatch and the guy said he couldn't do much with it! So went out again determined just to get on with it, as experienced similar with the R1 and this seemed to work.
[/size][/color]But very useful to know the FZ1 shock would fit and offer more adjustment.[/font]
[/size][/color]Kept hitting the limiter too, but an R1 it is not, so will just have to get used to it.[/font]
[/size][/color]Just ran Fazer 8 in progressively for the first 1,000 miles, by which time it was ready for anything.[/font]
[/size][/color]Now covered nearly 6,000 miles and ready for proper service.[/font] 8)
Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
If I had a brain I would be dangerous

Fatwasp

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 August 2013, 02:56:18 pm »
Hi Grandma. Yes, I've just had the 600 mile service done at SW Superbikes. I mentioned it to Dave and he said don't bother with a rear shock upgrade. They tend to bed-in after 1000 miles. I've never heard of suspension being run-in but as it is the cheapest option I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I'll probably just get used to it. I've noticed the gearbox to be a little slicker after the service but still not thrashed the thing in anger yet. 

fazerphil

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Fz1s gen 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 August 2013, 03:15:32 pm »
Hi yer , ive only got a couuple of ol thous. But ones got ohlins
rear and r 1 forks and 136mm links.
Second fazer with standard forks and r6
Shock and 130mm links.
I think if you sort  your rear sag first it would
Be best and only then looking at forks.
Ftr recomend 15% of travel free sag and  about
35% of travel rider sag.
Go star racing have a guide on sus settings.
Good luck.

Grandma

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 September 2013, 09:35:20 am »
Hi Grandma. Yes, I've just had the 600 mile service done at SW Superbikes. I mentioned it to Dave and he said don't bother with a rear shock upgrade. They tend to bed-in after 1000 miles. I've never heard of suspension being run-in but as it is the cheapest option I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I'll probably just get used to it. I've noticed the gearbox to be a little slicker after the service but still not thrashed the thing in anger yet.
Just enjoyed another couple of sessions around Brands Indy, bike has now covered nearly 8,000 miles and although still a handful on our terrible roads, was great around Brands, much quicker than last time!
[/size][/color]Really love the bike, though still hop on the R1 (which I have given to my son) and it feels like I've never been off it.[/font]
[/size][/color]Over 10 years I covered 100,000 combined miles on two R1's, a very addictive bike, but no longer so comfortable and finding the Fazer 8 a wonderfull compromise after a short lived affair with a 2009 Fazer1000 which I had hoped would be as good as the 2004 Fazer 1000 I'd had for a couple of years along with the R1 to try & keep the miles off it. Sadly it was not, proved to be a pile of pooh, very thirsty and wouldn't even carry the luggage I had been slinging on the other bikes for years.[/font]
[/size][/color]The only thing I will do to the Fazer 8 now is put Road Pilot 3's on it as I am still not entirely happy with the Bridgestones it came with.[/font] :D

Fatwasp

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 September 2013, 12:10:41 pm »
Looking good there Grandma.

I've put 2000 miles on the Fazer in a couple of months. I have to confess, I've put two more clicks of preload on the rear and an extra PSI.

It now handles as it should. Glad I didn't shell out on a new shock. 

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 September 2013, 10:27:47 pm »
Grandma, those mirrors are for you to see those behind you!!!!!   not for doing your lippie and blusher.

Good on you though,nice to see you enjoying the track with your bike.
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Grandma

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 September 2013, 04:25:26 pm »
Grandma, those mirrors are for you to see those behind you!!!!!   not for doing your lippie and blusher.
lol Too lazy to take them off as we had to do road sessions straight after as we were helping Kent Fire Bike with a Rider Skills Day. Have attached a video taken a couple of months before, didn't realise the guy behind me had an on board camera, interesting though [/color][/size]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PyCxosAqSc&list=FLVWbAv_rfmn0z-4bv4hi-1w&index=1[/color][/size]Have now learn't to change up quickly before limiter cuts in and I lose power, does a respectable 100 down the straight compared with R1 130mph and brakes do stop me coming a cropper dropping down to Paddock Hill![/color][/size][/color]

Good on you though,nice to see you enjoying the track with your bike.