Date: 23-04-24  Time: 09:45 am

Author Topic: Adjustable footrests v. ground clearance  (Read 4039 times)

Jez

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Adjustable footrests v. ground clearance
« on: 21 June 2015, 05:41:27 pm »
I am considering fitting slightly lowered footrests so as to relieve the pain  from my onesie rucking up at the backs of my knees.

Does anyone have experience of lowered pegs? Given that they only lower by 30mm or so do they actually help straighten the knees at all? Do they interfere with ground clearance?

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Adjustable footrests v. ground clearance
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2015, 05:47:16 pm »
I too would be interested in the knee bend problem as I am at present looking into getting a set of lower pegs, once, that is, I have fixed the bloody chain adjuster.

Where do you plan on getting yours from, Jez and will you go for the rotating adjustable ones or simple 30mm lower ones?

Tommo

fazed out

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2015, 07:35:24 pm »
I fitted the 20mm rotating one's this set up maxed  out the light switch  a get a little more relief on my knees i put a littlemore in my seat   i may look at  adjustable rearsets

Jez

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2015, 07:45:39 pm »
I too would be interested in the knee bend problem as I am at present looking into getting a set of lower pegs, once, that is, I have fixed the bloody chain adjuster.

Where do you plan on getting yours from, Jez and will you go for the rotating adjustable ones or simple 30mm lower ones?

Tommo

Quite simply, Tommo, I don't know. Haven't researched yet until I figure out if it's worth it. A tight arse like me might go for some cheapies in black ally from China (£30 as opposed to £89.99 from M&P or £107 from Busters). As I only need to drop them I don't mind if they're adjustable or not. I don't know if adjustable ones come loose and flap about or whether 'rigid' ones fold up or stay in place.

Sorry if that wasn't very helpful.

Jez

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2015, 07:47:56 pm »
I fitted the 20mm rotating one's this set up maxed  out the light switch  a get a little more relief on my knees i put a littlemore in my seat   i may look at  adjustable rearsets

Interesting. What I did measure today is that the brake pedal, for me, will only drop another 20mm or so. Shame as I was looking at 30mm drop.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2015, 10:35:33 pm »
I too am interested in this, in an effort to reduce my 'sit-bone' ache I get after 30-60mins.

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 June 2015, 10:39:59 pm »
ok heads up

buell footpegs are the way the yanks went i tried it but there are draw back and these will apply to other versions
dropping means you need to lower the action of brake and gear shift both wont drop untill relief is ground to allow movment once down this path you cant return without replacing hangers etc

www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2015, 11:28:18 pm »
  • both wont drop untill relief is ground to allow movment
  • once down this path you cant return without replacing hangers etc
I didn't understand either of those sentences, and regarding the buel foot rests got a link..?

@the thread, what above moving them forward and down a bit..? - these should fit the fronts
« Last Edit: 21 June 2015, 11:36:38 pm by b1k3rdude »

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 June 2015, 12:01:04 am »
you need to grind the hangers to get the movment required for the linkages to work
trust me ive been there done that
no links see yank site search button is your friend
as for my bike sold it to david bright so un less he pops up with piccies
all im sayinf is can be done with work
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

Jez

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 June 2015, 02:34:57 pm »
I looked at the FZ10A site and there is indeed mention of Buell pegs which lower and move back too. It does seem to be necessary to drill out the mounting boss and grind the hangers to accept gear pedal movement.

This seems too much faffing for me, and is one way as Luke said, so I think I may go down the chinese route from Ebay. These pegs seem to get a mixed reaction as some say they are great and others report sag (which can be corrected, apparently). They also lead to the brake pedal being too high, which I anticipated. Two ways around this seem to be to cut a vee and bend and weld the pedal or enlarge the holes which mount the master cylinder, which is the path I expect I will take.

I would still like to hear about ground clearance.......

clanadam

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 June 2015, 11:20:54 am »
How about raising the seat height as an alternative to lowering the pegs. I did that on my blade and it made a massive difference without risking grounding out lowered pegs.

Jez

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 July 2015, 12:58:01 pm »
Nice idea, clanadam, but don't want to increase the height.

Chinese 25mm lower pegs arrived today. They look okay but......... the actual bit you rest your foot on is a bit shorter. Also the way they are made means that the pivot part actually moves them outward and raises them slightly so they end up about 10-15mm drop only.

On top of this it looks like being necessary to grind the heads off the pivot pins to remove the standard pegs (should've checked this before). Don't think I'll bother.  :\

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 2 X 1987 fzr1000's, VN800
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 July 2015, 10:27:15 pm »
Ive got some fitted to my bike, as Jez says, the part that you foot sits on is shorter and is actually further out than standard. I find myself riding with half my foot on the peg and half on the inside "adjustable" bit, which means my foot sits at an angle, but it doesn't bother me. Ive just come back from Belgium with no probs as far as knees go, and I haven't got the best knees in the world. But I think im going to have a softer seat, its the arse that goes first. Any suggestions as to who could modify the seat foam?

Jez

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 July 2015, 02:57:34 pm »
Thanks for sharing your experience Billy. Did you grind the pivot pin heads off? What did you replace them with?

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 July 2015, 05:18:02 pm »
I had the the rotating pegs but didn't like how far they put your foot from the brake and gear lever .
 I just removed the rotating cam and screwed the peg straight to the hanger (filed the hangers a touch to allow the pegs to flip up) and as the peg is much thinner than OE you still get a lower peg
Its just a ride

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 2 X 1987 fzr1000's, VN800
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 July 2015, 10:41:25 pm »
Jez, don't know what you mean by grinding off the pivot bolt.

These are mine.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 July 2015, 11:14:11 pm »
THe original pivot pins are more or less rivits, so to remove them you need to use a disc grinder and grind the peined rivit end away. It is the underside you grind and it is not a lot of grinding involed. All you need to do then is tap through the old pins. When fitting the new pegsthe pins are replaced with Cap head?Cheese head stainless steel Allen bolts and a Nylock nut, apply Loctite blue or if you prefer silcon. To install lowered pegs will take you about 20/30 minutes max. See my post lowered foot pegs.
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

fazerphil

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Fz1s gen 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 July 2015, 10:03:42 am »
Viper touring seat is about half inch taller which helps leg relief.
If leg length is a problem then replacing 140 mm standard  dog bones with 142 mm dogs  would help.
Rotating pegs help with leg bend if peg is set forward, this helps blood flow to lower leg.
Any modifications from standard will need some fettling.
Good luck.