Date: 28-03-24  Time: 19:49 pm

Author Topic: Fitting new C&S - Swingarm Out - Advice Please  (Read 1770 times)

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Fitting new C&S - Swingarm Out - Advice Please
« on: 25 December 2012, 01:24:53 pm »
Hi - I'm going to be fitting a new C&S kit so will be removing my swingarm, I also want to take my shock off to give it a clean. I was after any advice i.e. what nuts I should slacken before removing the wheel, any useful maintenance I could do with the swingarm out etc, any non-standard equipment required. The bike is a 2001 Gen1 and has done 33k, do you think I should be looking at replacing any bearings or would a regrease and re-fit be OK?

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting new C&S - Swingarm Out - Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: 25 December 2012, 03:11:31 pm »

it all comes apart very simply. there's no need to worry about slackening anything in any particular order as i recall, although i tend to loosen the main swing arm pivot nut early in proceedings just in case. the only fastening  to be wary of is the shock top mount bolt, a straight socket doesn't mount squarely onto it as the frame is in the way. not so bad for removal as a spanner can get to it but awkward for getting a torque wrench to it for re-assembly. i have rounded mine a little without using any real force on a universal joint type socket adapter and will order a replacement if ever i take it out again. i also tend to measure distances between axle blocks and swing arm ends before removal to make wheel alignment straight forward later.

no special tools beyond a socket set, allen keys, torque wrench and spanners are required.

as for the bearings - their state should be pretty obvious from an inspection once visible. a full swing arm set was about £30 from marksman when i did mine. mains don't tend to wear very much as water and salt find it difficult to get in there and they only rotate through a few degrees of motion, linkage bearings are more prone to the elements however. Let's assume that they were all well greased at the factory, not always the case apparently!

i've read more than once on here to tighten the linkage and shock bolts with the bike on it's side stand in order to minimise free play once done although this wasn't necessary on mine.

i have a paper somewhere with all the torque settings that you'll need, just say and i'll post them.
is it clean enough?

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
Fitting new C&S - Swingarm Out - Advice Please
« Reply #2 on: 25 December 2012, 03:40:19 pm »
On my 600 I couldn't undo the front sprocket but once the wheel was out, so loosen that before you start. Luckily I have a rattle gun which got it off easily buy without that I'd have to stick it all back together.

bash62

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 December 2012, 11:12:14 am »
why take the swing off to change c +s kit

wezdavo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 954 fireblade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 December 2012, 11:28:52 am »
why take the swing off to change c +s kit
Must be an endless?

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 December 2012, 07:40:12 pm »
When I was looking to change my C&S's I wanted an endless one but they all come with soft link so no need to remove swinger.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 December 2012, 08:09:08 am »
I got an OEM kit which has a continuous chain which is why I needed to take the swingarm off, I also wanted the opportunity to check and grease the swingarm bearings. It's not something I'd done before in all my years of bike ownership so I was a bit daunted but as bludclot says it all comes apart easily enough.

I'd seen a few posts previously from folks who had found that their gearbox sprocket retaining nuts were loose and was shocked to find that mine was the same.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 December 2012, 10:06:27 am »
its not a hard job and a great way of checking and cleaning swingingarm , rear spring + linkage and also re-greasing everything for peace of mind,did mine back in the spring  :D  well worth the effort  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

Minty

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - TTR-250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 December 2012, 12:36:52 pm »
I take my swingarm out each time, easy job and nice to get bearings cleaned and regreased. And chance to clean, grease, waxoyl a few hard to reach spots.