Date: 26-04-24  Time: 04:50 am

Author Topic: Which Hugger (Gen 1)  (Read 7190 times)

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Which Hugger (Gen 1)
« on: 24 December 2011, 11:22:50 pm »
Want to get a hugger (black) for my 2001 Blue Gen1 have had a look at the following but none of them really float my boat in terms of looks but it's hard to imagine them on the bike from the limited photo's I've seen;
  • SkidMarx
  • Pyramid
  • Puig
  • Powerbronze
Any reccomendations or ones to avoid? Skidmarx are having a 20% off sale which makes their Carbon Fibre offering more affordable though I'd rather have something understated than flash.

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Which Hugger (Gen 1)
« Reply #1 on: 25 December 2011, 12:43:04 pm »

can only speak about the skidmarx hugger for the gen 1:

it came in an un-painted finish and i had it painted last year, it was in with some other bits so can't be exact on the paint price. i paid around 40 for it from ebay straight from skidmarx themselves - they had polished through an area of the paint hence the reduction.

with the supplied caliper side bracket it didn't sit centrally over my wheel. i stressed it into the position i wanted and took careful measurements and made up my own bracket. once it had been fitted for a couple of months it took it's new shape very well - it doesn't require stressing when i take it in and out now.

it does extend below the arm and does keep road muck off the linkage area really quite well. it looks better in real life than in these pictures, especially now that i've reverted to a silver arm the colour contrast helps the aesthetic. all in all, recommended.

i had a carbon hugger on my 9r - and that cracked and started rattling during a 'spirited' road ride one day, can't remember the make i binned it. my r6 had a carbotech carbon hugger that seemed very strong and well made. my experience with cf is that you get what you pay for.
is it clean enough?

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 December 2011, 01:11:47 pm »
stand bobbins on a gen1 which has a center stand wtf belt n braces
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

The Male Whale

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1300 Pan European/ZZR 1400
    • View Profile
    • Celtic Motorcycles
« Reply #3 on: 25 December 2011, 11:40:25 pm »
Try Red Fox.
On the Gas! :stop

paul1606

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 December 2011, 12:55:18 pm »
Fairplay the bike in the pics looks immac is the swingarm painted or powdercoated??

steve pring

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - DRZ400E
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 December 2011, 08:13:44 am »
Red Fox for me also!
Had one on my Fazer 600 for 3 years and one on my thou for the last 8 years.
Steve

justy1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - fzs 600 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 December 2011, 02:36:53 pm »
ive also gotta red fox hugger on my 600. but i think the one on my 1000 is a yam one?

justy1000

dickgam

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - CCM404 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 December 2011, 02:56:05 am »
I have had a Yamaha one fitted from new with no problems whatsoever, easy to fit and it does a good job of keeping the shock clean, just aswell really cos i dont! :lol

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 December 2011, 12:37:45 pm »
Not got one on mine.
When I fitted my K-Tech shock a few years ago I was gonna get one.  I asked the technician what he thought of huggers.  He reckoned they did little to protect the shock and just made getting the wheel out and in more a fiddle.
So that and considering that I don't really like the look of em, well I never bothered. 

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 December 2011, 03:05:16 pm »

it's either a hugger or a stone chipped swing arm - the choice is yours.
is it clean enough?

tomjimtom

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 January 2012, 01:02:23 pm »
I've got a skidmarx one, fits well enough, little off center if you're measuring it with a micrometer from the rear tyre.

Only problem I've had with it was when the bike was fully loaded with me, the gf, the topbox, panniers and tent going round Scotland, at some point the shock bottomed out to the point the rear subframe hit the top of the hugger and taken a chunk out of it. It's still whole and everything, but it did transfer a bit of force to the swingarm, taking a small chunk out of the cross bar and taking the paint off (black) :(

Not sure I'd have noticed the dirty shock or possible stone chips, definately notice the dent in my swingarm :\

But, other than that pretty extreme example, I've got no problems with it :)

P.S, I've taken the wheel out with the hugger in place and with the hugger removed, obviously some difference, but quite easy to remove it with the hugger in place :)
« Last Edit: 01 January 2012, 01:03:42 pm by tomjimtom »

fazer6868

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 January 2012, 06:44:07 pm »
just fitted a powerbronze on my gen 1 after 2 new pyramids both failed to fit properly!

powerbronze looks a good fit but have not road tested yet as only put it on a few hours ago

jackojet

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2015 R1 and 2015 speed triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 January 2012, 04:01:53 pm »
 pyramid carbon one on mine and yep poor fit , had to open up mounting holes on chainguard side, to give a bit of adjustment as would'nt sit central over tyre. Also found if you bend rear chainguard bracket in slightly you get a better fit.  ;)