Date: 28-03-24  Time: 07:12 am

Author Topic: thinking of buying a gen 2  (Read 2688 times)

bigalzete

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - zx9r e1
    • View Profile
thinking of buying a gen 2
« on: 18 January 2017, 01:27:40 pm »
hello ive got a trip to the nurburgring planned for October and I'm looking at getting a gen2 next month if I can find one I like want something a bit more comfortable then my zx9 but not sure what to look for when buying one? sorry if this has been posted before
My Garage
Fazer 1000 "02"Fazer 600   "02" zx9r "00"

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: thinking of buying a gen 2
« Reply #1 on: 18 January 2017, 04:52:37 pm »
Not a great deal to be worried about other than usual stuff when buying a bike.
Only thing I can suggest is to avoid the 2006 models unless the fuel maps been sorted.

Other than that just look for a clean low mileage one with all the mods you might want.

If it has a race can on it then try and find out if the Cat has been removed, air box modified and if it has a power commander.

To be honest you want either a bog standard one or a fully sorted one. Anything inbetween will just mean spending money to get it running right

Hope some of that is useful to you :)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 January 2017, 05:19:52 pm »
They don't sell well, dunno why I had one a sorted one and it was incredible, so like dudeofrude says you can't go far wrong. I had pipe, decat, power commander, secondary butterflies removed and Ivan's fce on a 58 or 59 plate, which improved it no end. However I took a demo (12 plate?) bike out from tinklers in norwich and it was a improvement on how mine was stock, so I think they improved them again with the ecu or summat

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 January 2017, 08:24:39 pm »
The later the model year the better the fueling seems to be, I have a fueling map on mine ( 2007 )that was done on a dyno to suit my bike with an Akrapovic can, k & n filter, decatted.
Get a good long test ride  to see how the bike feels to you.
As Ogri says they don't seem to sell well, but they are good bike, you might be able to get yourself a decent bargain.

bigalzete

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - zx9r e1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 January 2017, 08:48:54 pm »
Thanks lads will try and get a test ride to see if I like them sure I will though rode my gen 1 on the nc500 last year and loved it but fancy a newer bike now. Budget is about 3k-3.5k would like an exhaust and heated grips bit would be happy with a good standard one
My Garage

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2017, 09:03:35 pm »
Ah that's a shame you missed out. Brooker81 was selling an absolute belter for the money you have but it was that good he changed his mind and kept it haha.
That's a fair budget though. You shouldnt find it hard to get a decent one at that price
« Last Edit: 18 January 2017, 11:10:23 pm by Dudeofrude »

bigalzete

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - zx9r e1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 January 2017, 11:19:51 pm »
Just seen you ride the naked version love the way they look what's the wind protection like at 70 ?
My Garage

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 January 2017, 11:31:57 pm »
None existent haha but that's part of the fun. You can easily get used to it at legal speeds. Anything over 120 is kinda rough though but that's a good thing as it keeps your license clean 😉🖒
The naked isn't as practical as the fazer, doesnt have pillion grab bars and the lack of wind protection would make touring a bit tiresome.
In my opinion the fazer version is more sports tourer where as the naked is more sportsbike with high bars.
I do think it looks prettier as a naked bike but then I'm probably a bit biased haha

bigalzete

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - zx9r e1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 January 2017, 12:47:14 am »
Haha your probably right but I won't turn one down if it comes up. Most of my riding is to heart side so about 50 miles from my house on b roads so could probably put up with it for one ride to Germany
My Garage

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 January 2017, 05:49:43 pm »
Me half faired one had a centre stand, mega handy for touring. I couldn't fault it really, they are a superb bike and handle brilliantly

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 January 2017, 06:58:37 pm »
I love my Gen2, it's done so much from commuting to flying up Norway.

If more than 25k miles, check for valve clearance, check frequent oil changes, check the lock-stops for crash damage and check the rims for damage.

Only buy bikes with 3 keys.

The Gen2 is ridiculously cheap second hand and is lot of bike for not much dosh.

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 January 2017, 07:07:55 pm »
I had a Gen 1, sold that and got the Gen 2, 2012 model. Very quick, handle well look nice, but for me I was never 100% happy with the fuelling and throttle response, spent quite a bit in an attempt to smooth it out which it did to an extent but as I said I wasn't 100% happy with it. Gone back to a Gen 1 and I'm happy. I'm sure others are extremely happy with their Gen 2's but for me, spending the best part of 9 grand on a brand new bike and then having to spend even more trying to smooth it out started to piss me off. I didn't really notice it initially on the first test ride, but hey I was all excited and smitten with it! As others have said in this thread, go for a decent test ride and make up your own mind! Good luck, enjoy!

knyght

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 January 2017, 12:48:07 pm »
I have an FZ1N and it's a great bike. A little fly screen gives you a noticeable bit of protection, but if you're doing a lot of dual carriageway/motorway miles then you'll benefit from a faired model.
Plenty of power, but needs winding up to get to it, which is why many opt for gearing changes.
They have loads of modding potential, sound great with the right exhaust and look good too. On top of this they're really reliable and the engines will go on for ages if correctly maintained.
The later the model, the smoother the throttle, but as standard they all have the fuel-cut throttle gripe; it's not as bad as it sounds and you'll find worse interference on something like an early model MT09.