Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > FZ6 / Fazer

2004 FZ6 ignition switch

(1/2) > >>

fazermike:
Hi Guys,

the ignition switch on my 2004 FZ6 only switches on after several attempts and if I use the steering lock it is virtually impossible to unlock again.

So I want to replace it which means changing the fuel cap and seat lock.

I have seen some cheap ones on ebay. which are probably rubbish so i looked on WEMOTO website and they has a complete kit for £42, my only concern is if i change it was happens with the immobiliser?
isn't there a chip in the key that communicates with the bike so it can be started? 

unfazed:
Did you try soak the lock in WD40? Spray plenty in via the key slot, leave it soak for a while and try turning it a few times.

Grahamm:

--- Quote from: fazermike on 08 May 2019, 06:24:51 pm ---the ignition switch on my 2004 FZ6 only switches on after several attempts and if I use the steering lock it is virtually impossible to unlock again.

--- End quote ---

Have you checked to see if the key is worn? If you have the Red Key, compare it with the one you're using.

fazermike:
Tried all the keys and it's the same story!

the ignition barrel shouldn't be worn as the bike has only done 8,000 miles'!

Trebus:
Try some graphite powder before changing it. This is the correct stuff for lubricating the barrel.  Kasp K30050 Graphite Powder by Kasp https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MYMZ2DI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_FoKyDbAM6FR53

The bolts will be anti tamper so will need to be drilled out, makes it a fair bit of work as the yoke needs to be on the bench.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version