Date: 23-04-24  Time: 06:30 am

Author Topic: From wednesday we can use our bikes again.  (Read 6046 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: From wednesday we can use our bikes again.
« Reply #50 on: 14 May 2020, 07:33:25 pm »
Small Businesses who pay tax under self assessment can carry on working (if possible). The grant is to cover loss of business from 1% to 100%. 
Its a pity that they could not look at what they put on their tax return in the box - what is the nature of your business, and then they could see who has lost work and who has not, eg a tattoo artist clearly could not carry on there will be some grey areas that will have to be assessed but to give all self employed even if they are not affected seems a mistake. 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 14 May 2020, 07:48:40 pm »

Will you lot foc off out of this thread with your political shite,  this thread was started by the OP as to remind people they could  just go out on their bike for a ride if they chose to do so.[/size]Take your playground squabbles elsewhere, there have been enough threads ruined on this forum already.   and 

I can assure every one that my intentions were to just remind people they could go out on their bikes today without fear of being pulled by the police just for being on a bike. Not to wind our fellow the Scottish & Welsh riders up, unlike some,  I have more constructive things to do.  No mine has stayed in the garage today but it won't tomorrow. Had to take my dog over the fields he exercises in but hasn't been able to go there as I've been sticking to the lock down and not driving my cage.   

Can you lot not foccing read, talk about bikes and stop making this thread just a copy of the coronavirus  thread,  bunch of foccing wankers.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 14 May 2020, 07:57:33 pm »
Its a pity that they could not look at what they put on their tax return in the box - what is the nature of your business, and then they could see who has lost work and who has not, eg a tattoo artist clearly could not carry on there will be some grey areas that will have to be assessed but to give all self employed even if they are not affected seems a mistake.
Don't you think they thought of that? Wouldn't work. My daughter is a childminder. Some carry on minding  children of keyworkers, some have none. Also self employed can have two trades - tattoo artist and greengrocer.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #53 on: 14 May 2020, 09:21:59 pm »
That is not how it was said, Can't be arsed to find the exact quote but it was along the lines of "please you are welcome to go and get a job at tescos or something to keep a good income and your job will be waiting for you when you return". 

Lol! You claim I'm wrong, but "can't be arsed" to actually post any proof of it.

Here, let me help...!

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/mar/24/wetherspoons-denies-abandoning-staff-in-coronavirus-crisis

He aroused the ire of workers and MPs after sending a video message to staff telling them they would no longer be paid after Friday while the company works out details of a “furlough” scheme under which the government will pay 80% of wages.

They had food to buy, rent to pay, utilities to pay for etc etc, but at the time, the details of the Furlough scheme hadn't been sorted out, so the people who worked for him had *NO IDEA* when they were going to get paid again (if at all).

He advised them to seek work in Tesco, which is hiring staff to help it meet the country’s need for food delivery and distribution, if they needed employment in the meantime.

“If you’re offered a job… if you think it’s a good idea, do it.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52018360

He also decided that Weatherspoons wasn't going to pay its suppliers!

Tim Martin said in the video that staff who wanted to work for Tesco should do so and they will be given first priority when Wetherspoon pubs reopen

Note that "Will given given first priority"? Not "your job will be waiting for you", so these people would have to *apply* for their old jobs back!

(I won't even mention his claim that "There's been hardly any transmission of the virus within pubs" as if, somehow, the advice of medical experts didn't apply to him!

But, look, you keep on defending the actions of right wing "I'm alright, Jack" multi-millionaires. I'll keep on giving a sh!t about ordinary people...

Now, since this thread is supposed to be about getting back on our bikes (which I *won't* be doing, please enjoy the last word (which will probably be some Trumpian accusation of spreading "Fake News"...!)

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 14 May 2020, 09:38:37 pm »
Usual foccing idiots hijacked a thread, WHAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT BIKERS RIDING BIKES after a long lay off. You wonder why this forum p-ss-s me off. Just for the record yes I have been out on my bike stopped once for fuel observed the distancing rule and thoroughly enjoyed myself without putting any one risk other than myself by other road user SMIDSY's.     
« Last Edit: 14 May 2020, 09:42:51 pm by steve 10562cc »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 14 May 2020, 11:51:42 pm »
Usual foccing idiots hijacked a thread,
Um, I think you may find the moderator was involved  :rolleyes

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 15 May 2020, 06:59:41 am »
If the label fits wear it whoever you are

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 15 May 2020, 08:19:28 am »
Usual foccing idiots hijacked a thread, WHAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT BIKERS RIDING BIKES after a long lay off. You wonder why this forum p-ss-s me off. Just for the record yes I have been out on my bike stopped once for fuel observed the distancing rule and thoroughly enjoyed myself without putting any one risk other than myself by other road user SMIDSY's.   

Glad to here it mate,  :) Only someone will go out with the same intention and either end up being just another daily biker road casualty due to some arse in a car/van/lorry etc as all the cagers are going to out as well.  Added to that, this time of year all the fair weather riders start popping out, being a bit rusty get themselves into trouble either way, do you really want to be in A&E at present?

I'm glad you got away with, I hope it continues for you, others sadly wont be so lucky!     

Later

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 15 May 2020, 10:44:44 am »

Me'z just wants to go out on my bike, but Sturgeon willnae let me.

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 15 May 2020, 01:53:42 pm »

After 48 years of consistently riding bikes I have long since accepted the grim reality of my passion for riding bikes. 

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 15 May 2020, 06:03:18 pm »
Never mind chap,we all know how you feel. :'(
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 15 May 2020, 07:08:28 pm »
What I need is dealers to re-open.
The R1250R will very shortly be due her first service.

FILZ6

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Kawasaki Z1000sx
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 15 May 2020, 07:28:13 pm »
VNA-BMW Wank.

I have read somewhere recently that most manufacturers including BMW have extended their bike service intervals and warranty periods, because of the issues the corona virus is causing.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 15 May 2020, 08:09:00 pm »

VNA-BMW Wank.
Lovely :\

I have read somewhere recently that most manufacturers including BMW have extended their bike service intervals and warranty periods, because of the issues the corona virus is causing.

Cheers bud.  I’ve heard that too.   They might also quote me the tolerance on the first service.
But really, having spent the dosh on the bike, and it being very much my bike, I don’t want to go too far past the 600-mile figure.
I’ve got another 100 miles in hand, plus I’m stand-by this  coming week.  So not an immediate problem.

I am hoping that BMW bikes being popular with the polis and other services, and with me being a key worker, I might just be able to secure that inital service.

See what happens.

FILZ6

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Kawasaki Z1000sx
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 15 May 2020, 08:22:56 pm »
I remembered we’re I read it. It is on Bennett’s insurance website.

Some BMW dealers workshops are open for service/ repairs for key workers, so you might be able to get it serviced.
On some models, the first/ run in service interval has been stretched from 600 miles to 1200.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 15 May 2020, 08:37:05 pm »
 Cheers FILZ6

Just had a look at my owner’s manual.  It says first service 300 – 750 miles.  I’d imagine there is also a wider tolerance that can be applied to that.

So yeah, I might see what I can find out this week, as its now, according to the manual, ready for its first service.

It would be good to get that service.  I’ve been trying to stick to the 5000-rpm run in limit.  So once its serviced I can use the full rev range.  Though I have to say with, according to the dyno chart, 95bhp and  95lbs-ft of torque available at the rear wheel by 5000 rpm, running in is a fun and speedy process!  6th gear at 5000rpm is about 90mph.

FILZ6

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Kawasaki Z1000sx
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 15 May 2020, 08:56:20 pm »
No problem. I hope everything goes well.  Stay safe.   :)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 15 May 2020, 08:59:00 pm »
Will let you know.
Stay safe.   
You too.  Strange days. 

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 15 May 2020, 09:14:23 pm »
My pal had his first service done on his Tracer yesterday, so at least one Yam dealer is open.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 15 May 2020, 11:09:02 pm »
Cheers FILZ6

Just had a look at my owner’s manual.  It says first service 300 – 750 miles.  I’d imagine there is also a wider tolerance that can be applied to that.

So yeah, I might see what I can find out this week, as its now, according to the manual, ready for its first service.

It would be good to get that service.  I’ve been trying to stick to the 5000-rpm run in limit.  So once its serviced I can use the full rev range.  Though I have to say with, according to the dyno chart, 95bhp and  95lbs-ft of torque available at the rear wheel by 5000 rpm, running in is a fun and speedy process!  6th gear at 5000rpm is about 90mph.

Having never owned a new motorbike I'm not quite sure what the first service would actually be? Surely nothing more than an oil change and possible a check and re-torque of major bolts?
I know obviously the first service (and subsequent ones) have to be done by BMW to cover the warranty bit if for any reason you cant get it done then would it not be worth changing the oil yourself just to make sure it's done within the original mileage?

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 15 May 2020, 11:29:27 pm »
Oil and filter change I think. To pick up any swarf.
I seem to remember reading that the running in oil they initially put in is of a slightly different formula. But after that it's standard stuff.
I might have imagined it though

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 16 May 2020, 08:39:14 am »
Kawasaki certainly had a special grade of running in oil as a pal used to own a dealership, maybe 10 or so years ago though. Fuch oil, was the favoured brand if I remember correctly.
« Last Edit: 16 May 2020, 08:57:02 am by robbo »
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 16 May 2020, 09:47:21 am »
Kawasaki certainly had a special grade of running in oil as a pal used to own a dealership, maybe 10 or so years ago though. Fuch oil, was the favoured brand if I remember correctly.

Just plain old mineral oil to run in, then switch over to either semi or fully synth. 

Later

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 16 May 2020, 11:43:43 am »
 Having never owned a new motorbike I'm not quite sure what the first service would actually be?

This is my third new bike.  First was the FZS600 in 1999, second my FZS1000 (zero miles pre reg) in 2004, and now the R1250R in 2020 on a limited edition 20 plate. :eek   Yes I change my bike frequently! :lol

I have wondered whether the first service really is necessary.  It also tells you, I think, something in relation to how tight margins are getting.  My previous two bikes you just paid for the oil and filter at the first service.  Now you pay labour too.  At 200 plus quid its easy money for the dealer, with the customer generally sticking it onto their PCP finance.  Naturally my last words on negotiating a price as I offered my hand were – and no charge for the 600 mile service. 

My understanding is that its an oil and filter change plus safety check.

The PDI check was carried out by Motorrad UK, then the bike was shipped to the dealer.

Even if I can’t get it serviced in the next week or two, it surely cannot be too long before dealers are encouraged to serve the general public.

I’ve looked a few of the big dealer’s web pages.  I’ve noted that the biggest car dealer in Scotland Arnold Clark is ready to open.  They have already prepared their showrooms and workshops for social distancing.  They are just waiting for the green light.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 16 May 2020, 12:16:40 pm »
Having never owned a new motorbike I'm not quite sure what the first service would actually be?

In reality not a lot, with yours, plug it in, check for codes, change oil/filter, visual check of the whole bike, wheeels/tryes/bolts/bulbs etc (many don't even do that)  input service data, reset service interval.  That's it, there supposed to road test, most don't, its all about time and workshop through put i.e. money.

If you you want to keep using it, change the oil/filter with OE spec and keep the receipts as proof, ride it.  Any dealership will have a very hard job of trying to refuse warranty due to the current situation, if fact to get manufactures warranty you only have to prove it's been serviced correctly, not that they did it.   
Later