Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > Fazer 1000/FZ1 corner

chain adjustment interval

(1/3) > >>

esetest:
what mileage do  other owners get between chain adjustments , i am averaging about  1900 miles , does this sound about right .

seangee:
Hello and welcome.

I check mine every wash or tyre change - whichever comes first, and it doesn't always need adjustment. Usually it's tyre change  :eek :rollin :rolleyes - but I do check the scottoiler regularly.

1900 miles sounds like a lot of adjustments for an average, but I guess it depends on how you ride, quality of chain and how you look after it.

ZiggyCol:
I have a scottoiler and never seem to have to adjust the chain other than when forced via a tyre change or wheel off post winter deep clean.

bludclot:

i don't find my fazer easy to set chain tension on. with the axle and torque arm bolts loose i set the adjusters and get it just so but when i tighten either the axle or torque arm bolts it moves. i've tried gradually nipping with no luck, so i usually adjust it a bit loose and then tighten the bolts and it tightens up a little, but this is a bit trial and error until i'm happy with it.

also the yamaha manual stated 45mm free play and d.i.d. (my chain maker) 25-30. 45 seems way too loose to me so i set to (about given the above) 30mm.

any helpful suggestions?

jackojet:
stick to the owners manual , going tighter than 40mm will lead to premature gearbox wear . the slack is there for a reason . the longer than usual swing arm means the fazer chain free play is needed when the suspension is compressed .

im sure Mike will be along to verify what i say :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version