Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > Fazer 1000/FZ1 corner

downpipe nuts

(1/3) > >>

solorider:
i think im going to have problems removing these nuts,they are in a bad way,are the studs prone to break?

bludclot:

mine weren't as bad as yours, granted, but they all came undone ok which surprised me as they didn't look as though they would.

i pre-warned my mechanic friend that i was going to be putting a socket
on them and asked about if it went wrong would i be in for a whole load of trouble? - he replied that it was not a problem if studs sheared.

i did liberally apply penetrating oil the day before, don't know how much difference it made.

good luck!

are you going to be cleaning / painting the front of the engine while the exhaust is off?

ghostbiker:
I have seen worse.
I think the studs are pretty good and although the nuts maybe screwed up i bet the come out if care is taken.

pre treat with a REAL penertraiting oil for as long as you can... weeks if possable lol
but due to the angles of the studs i doubt it will have a huge effect. but every little helps.

solorider:
i will give it a clean up when the pipes are off and a lick of paint,i have aqquired an exup asm off ebay but as this will take a few weeks to come (from the states) i will leave the downpipes on for a bit longer and give them a bit more soaking with penetrating fluid

chitsu:
I took the rad off of one of mine that was almost the same as yours!
I wire brushed the excess rust off the nuts first & used 'DUCK OIL' which is an inexpensive penetrating oil that I have been using over 20 years now.
Female 'TORX' sockets are what I used to get a couple off as they were that corroded I could not get a standard metric sized 3/8's drive socket on them, but as has been said before ALL of them came off & the threads were fine.
P.S dont forget to clean the ports up with a small drill with a brush on as if it's not perfectly clean you will get a blow from the front pipes! (I learned the hard way :  /  )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version