Date: 26-04-24  Time: 05:25 am

Author Topic: R&G Premier heated grips  (Read 970 times)

FZDick

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Norton Commando 750
    • View Profile
R&G Premier heated grips
« on: 18 July 2020, 05:04:54 pm »
Anyone out there fitted a pair of these to their steed?
Never had any issues with standard R&G heated grips, several set fitted, great value and well effective.
'Cos of that thought I'd give the "Premier" heated grips a try as the Oxford ones on my thou' were dead when i had the bike.
Fitted, the grips really are some of the best, nice controller as well.
Wired through an ignition fed relay, work a treat!
BUT........as soon as I start the engine, they turn on, lowest heat setting, can be turned off, but just annoying.
As bought thru' eBay R&G said have to deal with seller, spoke to Demon Tweeks, within 2 days new controller arrived!
Exactly the same fault, ignition on, they're off, start the motor and they auto switch on to low heat.
Wired them up to me car battery, same thing!
Reckon the voltage sensor that turns 'em off if too low is getting confused, and when charging, 13.5V ish, it turns them on.
Waiting now for update from seller / R&G, anyone else suffered same?

bigsteve

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TDM850 FZS600SP
    • View Profile
Re: R&G Premier heated grips
« Reply #1 on: 21 July 2020, 10:50:30 am »
I changed to a normal controllers and relay setup as had the grips turn on with them connected to battery with ignition off  and bike connected to optimizer grips turned on on low setting
  sorted now work great when needed

FZDick

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Norton Commando 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 July 2020, 12:21:39 pm »
I changed to a normal controllers and relay setup as had the grips turn on with them connected to battery with ignition off  and bike connected to optimizer grips turned on on low setting
  sorted now work great when needed
Thanks for that Steve, restores my sanity! Glad to hear the same effect suffered by others, just waiting to see what they do about it now, shame as they really are a well made product!

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 July 2020, 01:11:43 pm »
Heated grips are great but I believe they help to bring on arthritis in your fingers when one side of your hands are warm and the other side cold, especially in winter.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 July 2020, 04:56:12 pm »
Heated grips are great but I believe they help to bring on arthritis in your fingers when one side of your hands are warm and the other side cold, especially in winter.

Also no good if you're using goretex gloves, as they'll leak. Personally I use waterproof heated gloves in the winter, and the heated grips just to take the edge off on early spring mornings.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 July 2020, 07:37:19 am »

How about adding an inline on/off switch? I appreciate it's a 'work around' rather than a fix.
is it clean enough?