Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:37 pm

Author Topic: Ding dong the witch is dead  (Read 55171 times)

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
  • Don't mess with a budgie
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Ding dong the witch is dead
« Reply #125 on: 11 April 2013, 01:12:46 pm »
Nope, Thatcher sold off BT and fucked me over so my pension lies dormant and losing value.

Tcat2001

• Gwnaed yng Nghymru
    imageDec 08
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 11 April 2013, 01:34:38 pm »
In the UK, the most noteworthy thing we do (apart from that paper lion, BAE) is building wings for Airbus. Not designing - BUILDING. The greatest aero companies are now assembling wings for a French commercial company.

Erm agree with pretty much everything else you said but my buddy who designed the fuel system for the A380 and spent 10 years getting it right would probably argue that we do a little more in the UK than just build wings. He's now working on the landing gear for the next one at Airbus. Works in Bristol and has done for the last 15 years or so and headed up huge design teams there working on both projects, plus there's all the suppliers, majority UK based who have their own design teams and engineers as well.

We think choosing tyres for bikes n cars is tricky - try choosing for a bloody huge plane! :-)

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 11 April 2013, 01:51:54 pm »
In the UK, the most noteworthy thing we do (apart from that paper lion, BAE) is building wings for Airbus. Not designing - BUILDING. The greatest aero companies are now assembling wings for a French commercial company.

Erm agree with pretty much everything else you said but my buddy who designed the fuel system for the A380 and spent 10 years getting it right would probably argue that we do a little more in the UK than just build wings. He's now working on the landing gear for the next one at Airbus. Works in Bristol and has done for the last 15 years or so and headed up huge design teams there working on both projects, plus there's all the suppliers, majority UK based who have their own design teams and engineers as well.

We think choosing tyres for bikes n cars is tricky - try choosing for a bloody huge plane! :-)

I was perhaps a bit hasty in that last comment. But the fact remains that Airbus is French, not English. We are now effectively subcontractors, when our Vickers, Avro and even Blackburn aircraft used to rule the skies. Likewise, I think that Rolls Royce are owned by the Germans now. As for BAE systems, they just about get by with a lot of government funding... Plus, ever since I got screwed around by the RAF when trying to join the Uni Air Arm, I have a profound mistrust of government controlled companies in the defence sector. In that respect, I'm all for privatisation!

No, the reason I want to work in the US (or wherever) is not through any treacherous desires, but because the US have a greater number of firms, a greater budget, and also individuals who are setting up small companies in the field I'm interested in.

The Deef's apprentice

Tcat2001

• Gwnaed yng Nghymru
    imageDec 08
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 11 April 2013, 02:02:09 pm »

Personally, the minute I have my degree, I intend to high-tail it across the Atlantic, and get work in an American firm. To quote Mark Knopfler and Dire Straits:
"I used to like to go to work but they shut it down
I got a right to go to work but there's no work here to be found " ~ Telegraph Road

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd3btVhwr48

You were doing so well until you informed us you'd use the resources of this country to enable you to fuck off elsewhere.

It's called getting off your arse and doing something about things rather than sitting moaning and talking about "woe is me look at the shite hand I've been dealt in life".

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 11 April 2013, 02:53:02 pm »
Easier to just expect the state to provide tho, eh?

Back when the welfare state was introduced, going on benefits carried great social stigma, it was to be avoided. Now, it's seen, by far too many people, as their right. Time to get back to how it should be!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 11 April 2013, 03:05:57 pm »
Time to get back to how it should be!

When bikes were fast, sex was safe, and you didn't need to take out a mortgage to fill up the car....  :'( :'(
The Deef's apprentice

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 11 April 2013, 03:53:08 pm »
Richie.
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 11 April 2013, 04:00:42 pm »
That's pretty :-)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Chillum

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently bikeless
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 11 April 2013, 04:21:56 pm »
<snip>
She may have got some money back, so what, it's bad enough she ignored those she made jobless, homeless and future less without bringing in the sale of everything we already owned back to us and the huge job losses that caused and the sale of social housing without a care for those who had no chance of home ownership.

Respect? She didn't know the meaning of the word.

Oh yeah and my pensions fucked beacuse of the bitch and I've got to pay for her funeral and be happy about it?

I'd offer to buy a gallon of petrol to chuck over her but I can't afford it.

Sounds a bit like the sour grapes of a 'job-for-lifer' to me.

Selling BT was a GOOD thing for the country.

peterjca

« Reply #134 on: 11 April 2013, 05:02:00 pm »
Easier to just expect the state to provide tho, eh?

Back when the welfare state was introduced, going on benefits carried great social stigma, it was to be avoided. Now, it's seen, by far too many people, as their right. Time to get back to how it should be!

Yup, those pesky bankers are only existing because of the welfare they're siphoning off the taxpayer. The banker welfare bill has eclipsed by utter magnitudes the welfare claimed by people.

No wonder bankers are socially stigmatised. Long may it continue.

Chillum

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently bikeless
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 11 April 2013, 06:54:15 pm »
It's possible that part of the reason they bailed out the banks and devalued the pound was because the financial industry currently represents about 43% of our GDP.

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 11 April 2013, 08:48:51 pm »
<snip>
She may have got some money back, so what, it's bad enough she ignored those she made jobless, homeless and future less without bringing in the sale of everything we already owned back to us and the huge job losses that caused and the sale of social housing without a care for those who had no chance of home ownership.

Oh yeah and my pensions fucked beacuse of the bitch and I've got to pay for her funeral and be happy about it?

It's not sour grapes, it's working hard at an apprenticeship, passing college and going on to take an HND only to find the opportunity that you were promised is now taken away and you can have some shit job working on a poxy exchange and then a few months later be told that the exchange is closing and you are no longer required

So fuck off with your presumptions.

Selling BT was not a good thing, we already owned it, how would you like it if I took your bike away then offered to sell it back to you?

What about selling all the other nationalised industries that provided jobs for UK people? All the privatised industries that were supposed to promote competition and better value for money are charging inflated prices and all that money goes straight out of the UK to their overseas based offices, admin and call centers.

headgonekneedown

• FOC-U Boris Yeltsin Impersonator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ducati monster s2r
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 11 April 2013, 09:06:33 pm »
Great thread  :lurk

Chillum

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently bikeless
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 11 April 2013, 09:13:47 pm »
<snip>

It's not sour grapes, it's working hard at an apprenticeship, passing college and going on to take an HND only to find the opportunity that you were promised is now taken away and you can have some shit job working on a poxy exchange and then a few months later be told that the exchange is closing and you are no longer required

So fuck off with your presumptions.

Selling BT was not a good thing, we already owned it, how would you like it if I took your bike away then offered to sell it back to you?

What about selling all the other nationalised industries that provided jobs for UK people? All the privatised industries that were supposed to promote competition and better value for money are charging inflated prices and all that money goes straight out of the UK to their overseas based offices, admin and call centers.

Well, it always sucks when you work hard for something and you lose out through no fault of your own, but whoever said that we were owed anything in life, even if we work for it? You've most likely had a better life than you would have done than if you'd been born 200 years ago for instance, so it isn't all doom and gloom.

Thanks for letting me know where I can go with my presumptions. Perhaps I'll find you there with your ego?

The money from privatisation got us out of a lot of debt. I personally disagree with with the right to buy stuff, but you could do that before Maggie anyway. State monopolies had to go, it's the way of the world.

You might think it's bad here, but I've just come back from trying to live in North Wales, it's a lot worse there - and that's a lot to do with peoples' attitudes as much as anything else. If your attitude sucks, then you'll find fault with anything.

If you have a good attitude then you can find opportunities all over the place that you would otherwise not see for crying into your ale.

Guess which kind I'm presuming you have  :rollin
« Last Edit: 11 April 2013, 09:15:10 pm by Chillum »

Razgruff

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Yamaha TT600R XS750
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 11 April 2013, 09:20:58 pm »
on Aerospace remember Concorde goverment investment then sucessive goverments under invested and that's why that when down the tubes, same for British Leyland.

At least when kids leave school now that get offered some sort of training when I left school in 1980 there was no training schemes and 1 1/2 million unemployed and raising until Maggie started changing the definition of what was unemployed.

On Pensions remember the 80's Robert Maxwell and all those other asset strippers that just brought companies to close them because they had massive pension funds.

I've been living through boom and bust, I know I will die in harness because when I reach the new pension age it will have gone up again.

And those that think I should show some respect, this about sums up what I think about it

The main point I was originally trying to make is that every generation will have its shit patch, the chaps who are howling had theirs, they should spare a thought for the likes of us who are about to hit ours just as we leave education - one of the worst times to hit a crisis.

Oh and I've brought my copy of Ding Dong the Witch is Dead and it's looking good for being number One  :D

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2807687628/

Razgruff

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Yamaha TT600R XS750
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 11 April 2013, 09:25:55 pm »

Tcat2001

• Gwnaed yng Nghymru
    imageDec 08
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 11 April 2013, 09:27:46 pm »
I'm pretty sure Concorde went down the pan shortly after it went down in flames and don't forget the French owned half. It was never economical, efficient and hugely polluting both in emissions and noise. Great technology when it was launched but as a viable sustainable business was always doomed. British Leyland similar. Poor quality expensive and badly designed when compared to the emerging European and Japanese cars. Failed to innovate and couldn't compete with cheaper and better made cars from abroad. Simple business and consumerism took over. Most folks will buy ether quality at a cheaper price rather than poorer quality British products.

peterjca

« Reply #142 on: 11 April 2013, 09:30:45 pm »
It's possible that part of the reason they bailed out the banks and devalued the pound was because the financial industry currently represents about 43% of our GDP.

You sure you're not a banker with an inflated sense of importance? 43% is extremely optimistic. Where did that come from? Andrew Haldane of the Bank of England states the financial services contribution to GDP is 10%.

But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of a good plunder of the taxpayer.

Razgruff

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Yamaha TT600R XS750
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 11 April 2013, 09:33:09 pm »
did you ever read my post TC underinvestment results in

Code: [Select]
British Leyland similar. Poor quality expensive and badly designed when compared to the emerging European and Japanese cars. Failed to innovate and couldn't compete with cheaper and better made cars from abroad.

peterjca

« Reply #144 on: 11 April 2013, 09:35:58 pm »
Oh and I've brought my copy of Ding Dong the Witch is Dead and it's looking good for being number One  :D

As the OP who set the subject of this thread, I had actually no idea that this facebook campaign existed. As much as I'd make myself ill so I could skitter over her final resting(?) place, I can't bring myself to join fuckbook, even if it is for a good cause.

Where else can I buy it from?

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 11 April 2013, 09:43:09 pm »
Yes that's right all the money from the sale of our national companies bought us out of debt.

Except it didn't. We only cleared the WW2 debt a few years ago.

Where did the money from the sale council homes go? We were promised new builds and improvements, what we got was nothing, nada, zilch.

No new homes and half the council properties in the borough I have just had to move out of are boarded up and  waiting for demolition, some for at least 5 years.

You think I have an ego? If I have learned anything it's how to be disappointed and lied to, no surprise I'm pissed off that now we have to pay 10 million to bury the person that destroyed any chance of improving my lot.

Guess you must be one of Maggie's alleged millions that just gobbled up shares in companies you already owned, bought your council house and couldn't give a toss about the jobless millions or the homeless you step over to get to your privately owned ex local authority family home which now houses you and your ego.

Oh yes we should all look on the brightside, 10 million years ago I might have been eaten by a sabre toothed tiger, try saying that to Welsh Miner who lost his home and saw his village and family torn apart as they all had to leave to find a menial job for minimum wage just so you can drink champagne and talk about your financial portfolio.

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 11 April 2013, 09:46:28 pm »

As the OP who set the subject of this thread, I had actually no idea that this facebook campaign existed. As much as I'd make myself ill so I could skitter over her final resting(?) place, I can't bring myself to join fuckbook, even if it is for a good cause.

Where else can I buy it from?

Amazon

I don't actually agree with this particular campaign though as it is profiteering and probably started by the copyright owner.

peterjca

« Reply #147 on: 11 April 2013, 09:46:55 pm »

And of course the Royal Mail is purposefully being run down and subject to cherry-picking to make it ripe for privatisation. Another momentous private failure, ending of the universal rate and fleecing of the cash-cow public coming to a town near you.

Tcat2001

• Gwnaed yng Nghymru
    imageDec 08
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 11 April 2013, 09:50:47 pm »

And of course the Royal Mail is purposefully being run down and subject to cherry-picking to make it ripe for privatisation. Another momentous private failure, ending of the universal rate and fleecing of the cash-cow public coming to a town near you.

I thought you were all about choice after all didn't you want to be able to choose exactly which electrons and water molecules flowed to your house? Not much choice at the moment when it comes to choosing who to post your letters with is there? Royal Mail. Erm Royal Mail and ahhhh Royal Mail.

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 11 April 2013, 09:59:48 pm »
Isn't it only letters that you have to use RM on these days?

There's plenty of parcel delivery companies out there to choose from.

I thought e mail was killing postal letters anyway?

The only thing I have to post these days is my repeat script (which I pay for) because my GP is stuck in the 20th Century and refuses to accept reorders electronically.