Date: 28-03-24  Time: 14:50 pm

Author Topic: What did you do with whatever else you've got?  (Read 505421 times)

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do with whatever else you've got?
« Reply #2225 on: 05 February 2020, 12:37:20 am »
 :thumbup

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: 09 February 2020, 07:33:24 pm »
Just back from this years Dragon Rally. This year I decided, quite fortunately, to not bother camping and just collect the attendance badge, and stay in, and explore,  Betwys y Coed, having ridden up the high street loads of times but never stopped there. A good ride up yesterday, and glad I'd left the tent at home as the access to the site was iffy, God knows what it was like this morning after a nights torrential rain. Woke up in the B&B this morning after a few pleasant local Welsh pints the previous evening. The tv news reporter remarked on the recorded 86mph winds at Capel Curig, about 8 miles up the road from where I was staying. When I set off for home I must admit I was a tad apprehensive, but the biggest challenge was getting out of Betwys,  as the A5  town bridge was about axle deep in water. A few abandoned cars in the flooded area created a somewhat slalom course, but keeping the revs up and a little clutch slip saw me through. Riding up hill on my way eastwards was like riding on a river, which on two occasions completely swept my feet off the pegs. Fortunately the wind was nowhere near what was forecast, and other than dodging the odd fallen tree, I was soon heading south. Not a lot of traffic until Swindon and the M4, so quite an exciting if different trip on the old Triumph, which never missed a beat.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: 10 February 2020, 12:55:57 am »
No fair weather rider you ay? :thumbup :thumbup  Fair play to you,I wouldn't want to know about that in the winter,never seen the attraction with the Dragon and Elephant rallies,I suppose you've got to experience them. ;)
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: 10 February 2020, 08:55:14 am »
No fair weather rider you ay? :thumbup :thumbup  Fair play to you,I wouldn't want to know about that in the winter,never seen the attraction with the Dragon and Elephant rallies,I suppose you've got to experience them. ;)
I get it. Why the hell would you want to camp in a muddy field in February somewhere in Snowdonia. I've always viewed the Dragon as a poor mans Elephant, which I'd planned to do with my best pal, who unfortunately passed away before we could get to do it. The Dragon is always around this past weekend which is historically the worst weather period in the Snowdonia area.
For me, I think it's just become a personal challenge, as it's far easier to be tucked up indoors rather than splashing round the countryside in the middle of winter on a motorbike. Next year will be the 60th year of this rally, so will no doubt be my last, providing I've still got a bike that I'm not too precious about. Needless to say, the Fazer won't be going. :lol

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: 19 February 2020, 07:01:43 pm »
The weather forecast really let me down today. Showers were expected in most southern areas as from 2pm, so met up with Flooky at Bury Hill, the plan, a whizz to Loomies. After a hot drink we were off, accompanied by rain at around 10:30. It was proper rain all the way there, but was determined not to be put off. There were 4 or 5 other hardy souls already chowing down when we got there. After brunch we had a nose round the new, to me, shop out the back, which resulted in a Loomies hoodie being crammed in the tank bag.
The rain was in for the duration now, so after a visor clean it was back on the bikes to splash our way back home. By the time we got to Petworth on the 272, it become obvious I'd made a schoolboy error, and had forgotten to zip up my trouser pockets, so all the laminate fabric in the world  is going to fail in such circumstances. The last 50 miles or so was a tad miserable to say the least, but nothing that a hot shower and a cuppa couldn't fix. There will be a dry day soon, hopefully, maybe. :)

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: 20 February 2020, 08:39:56 am »
Loving the optimism Robbo and REALLY hope you're right.  :D
Getting a bit stir crazy  :faz :sun
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: 20 February 2020, 10:29:16 am »
robbo --- perhaps you and I could become friends ---- we would get out about once every 10 years  :lol :faz :sun
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: 20 February 2020, 10:47:27 am »
The last 3 outings have all been in the rain, about 1200 miles worth. At least my wet weather skills should be on point. :lol

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: 25 February 2020, 11:27:59 am »

I fitted my newly painted spare tank and plastics to my little wet weather bike. It's also had it's 16k major service, new cam chain tensioner and chain and sprockets - running very sweetly indeed now. Starting to look and feel like one of my bikes:

is it clean enough?

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: 25 February 2020, 08:23:18 pm »
last of the true cbr600 allrounders. nice mate

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2235 on: 25 February 2020, 08:28:45 pm »
sorted the xjr. removed ais, checked valve clearance (seven out at 36k),cleaned and re assemble, fitted nice clean set of stock downpipes, balanced carbs, fitted safeglo led bulb (the new uns have the fan at the front  :) )

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: 25 February 2020, 08:32:49 pm »
 :)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: 25 February 2020, 08:34:08 pm »
 :)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: 08 March 2020, 01:32:44 pm »
been and bought myself another project......but what is it  ?
« Last Edit: 08 March 2020, 01:33:38 pm by red98 »
One, is never going to be enough.....

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: 08 March 2020, 03:20:15 pm »
X7?

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: 08 March 2020, 04:07:12 pm »

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: 08 March 2020, 05:33:56 pm »
yup...well done spotters, an X7.........bought the engine parts on ebay and seller offered me the frame....bit of a risk as no logbook,frame number is there so might apply for a logbook at DVLA and see what happens....

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: 08 March 2020, 06:10:37 pm »
Red , there's a house near my work that has three x7s in the porch  , I could ask him if he wants rid of them , one complete bike one in bits .
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: 08 March 2020, 07:11:48 pm »
Red , there's a house near my work that has three x7s in the porch  , I could ask him if he wants rid of them , one complete bike one in bits .

be very interested in those TEX...... :thumbup

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: 08 March 2020, 07:32:38 pm »
yup...well done spotters, an X7.........bought the engine parts on ebay and seller offered me the frame....bit of a risk as no logbook,frame number is there so might apply for a logbook at DVLA and see what happens....

Just be aware that I’ve tried to do this before and they won’t issue a log book without the registration. The good news you can sometimes get access to an online database where VIN numbers are matched to the registration. And if you can get the registration you can apply for a log book.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: 08 March 2020, 08:09:08 pm »

Just be aware that I’ve tried to do this before and they won’t issue a log book without the registration. The good news you can sometimes get access to an online database where VIN numbers are matched to the registration. And if you can get the registration you can apply for a log book.

cheers for that TREBUS  :thumbup ...i dont have the registration ,ive just scrapped/cleaned the frame number and its clear and good,not messed about with....i`ll do some searching on line and see what crops up....cheers again

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: 08 March 2020, 09:30:30 pm »
No problem. If you’re willing to pay for the data it’s possible. I’m a tight git, managed a get a trial account and found the registration. I got very lucky as it was limited to registrations containing A which mine turned out to be!

Attached a screen grab I took. I actually got given the bike in question as part of another deal, 50cc so no requirement for it but made a few £ once I had the logbook.
« Last Edit: 08 March 2020, 09:31:37 pm by Trebus »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: 08 March 2020, 11:31:23 pm »
Surely that site is just using DVLA data? VIN numbers are held on the DVLA database. Surprised DVLA can't find the original reg no if you give them the manufacturer and VIN.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: 09 March 2020, 05:58:18 am »
Things might have changed but they wouldn’t help me. They stated that without the VRM they would not be able to issue a log book and would need to be re-registered. Complete bullshit in my opinion which is why I went the other route, and worked out quite nicely.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: 09 March 2020, 06:45:04 am »
MTREAD....thats what i was thinking,years back i bought a gt185,again no logbook but i did have a reg number,wrote to them ,thay contacted the registered owner to make sure i wasn`t stealing the bike and issued me with a logbook...easy...but things were easy back then   :rolleyes

ive had a little search on the web and most sites are asking for a 17 digit vin, mines 12 , changed in approx 1981,looking at my 1981 x7 and it also has a 12 digit vin,the two vin numbers have 6000 between them so i know its earlier than 1981,no real surprise there as they stopped making them in 1982...

i just need to do a bit more digging,no real rush and if i cant get a log book i have my moneys worth in parts...would be a shame to scrap the frame though......