Date: 20-04-24  Time: 05:26 am

Author Topic: Bennett fracture  (Read 4702 times)

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600 2003, FZS 600 2000
    • View Profile
Bennett fracture
« on: 30 May 2016, 01:17:17 pm »
Two weeks ago I had an off, sustaining leg, rib and hand injuries. I had surgery to a displaced intra-articular fracture to the first metacarpal, right thumb, when K-wires were inserted. The surgeon told me that it was a serious injury and that I may not be able to ride a motorcycle again, which I'm pretty upset about. She said that my range of motion and grip strength will be greatly diminished. Have any fellow foccers suffered this injury ? If so, I would be very pleased to hear of your experiences, particularly the outcome after the months of physiotherapy to come, and how it has affected your ability to ride a motorbike.

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
Re: Bennett fracture
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2016, 01:35:58 pm »
A lot will depend on how old you are, plus general levels of fitness and, alas, just how lucky you were with your genes - some people 'repair' better than others. Hand and foot injuries are notoriously problematic but not impossible, given time and will you should def be riding again sometime. Just take it slowly, listen to what your body (and physio) tells you.
S
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2016, 01:56:29 pm »
Thank-you Steve. I am 64, cycle 10,000 miles a year, and I'm pretty fit. I shall certainly do as you suggest and listen to the physio and not try to rush recovery.

Regards,
                                                      Mike

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Daytona 955, BMW R9T
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2016, 06:11:44 pm »
Sorry to hear about your accident Mike.
I broke my left hand in 4 places and my right arm was shattered, last year when I was knocked off my bike.
My hand was K-wired in those 4 places and fortunately I now have almost full movement. My forefinger is still a little buggered and I'll never get the full range of movement back in the knuckle but I can now use it enough to be able to grip the bar and use the clutch. :D
As for my right arm, that's another story. It's still broken  :eek  and I'm going to have to have more surgery to get full movement back, but hopefully I'll get there and be riding again.

All I can say to you is, follow what your physio and the surgeon says. Do the exercises, and push through the pain. It'll be worth it in the end, and if you tell them that your goal is to ride again then they'll try their best to help you achieve it I'm sure.

Good luck mate, and a speedy recovery.  :thumbup
Steve

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2016, 07:20:36 pm »
Hello Steve,(Freck),
                         Wow ! You have certainly been in the wars and my injuries seem insignificant in comparison. My sympathies and my very best wishes go to you. It must have been a long and painful journey to achieve what you have up to now. Do you have a date for further surgery to your right arm ? Thank-you for the good advice which I shall follow. I go back to see the surgeon in a week's time and will reiterate that my goal is to ride again and I will do anything to achieve that.
Thank-you again, Steve. I hope that the surgery goes well.

All the best,
                                                    Mike

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2016, 09:53:26 pm »
Hello Steve,(Freck),
                         Wow ! You have certainly been in the wars and my injuries seem insignificant in comparison. My sympathies and my very best wishes go to you. It must have been a long and painful journey to achieve what you have up to now. Do you have a date for further surgery to your right arm ? Thank-you for the good advice which I shall follow. I go back to see the surgeon in a week's time and will reiterate that my goal is to ride again and I will do anything to achieve that.
Thank-you again, Steve. I hope that the surgery goes well.

All the best,
                                                    Mike

I'm going for a CT scan on the 20th June so the surgeon (third one I've seen) can get a better picture of the state of my arm, then I'll see him on 3rd July.
Hopefully he'll have a way forward then.
Here's what it's like at the moment, see the break, still there after 9 months.  :'(

It has been a long and painful journey - 3 operations so far and 7 months off work, but at least I'm still here.  :D 

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2016, 11:56:03 pm »
I've no experience of anything like that personally (thank the gods) but I wish you well for a complete recovery.

If you still have problems, there are modifications that can be made to the bike eg for left-handed throttle control and thumb brakes etc which you might like to look into.

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2016, 07:38:04 am »
That is upsetting to see, Steve. Fingers crossed that the surgeon, with the new CT scan to come can sort this out once and for all. If we can both get back on our bikes eventually we'll have to meet for a cuppa. You're only 80 miles away. I shall stay in touch.

Regards,
                                                       Mike

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2016, 07:45:45 am »
Thanks, Grahamm. I have been on the NABD site and had a look at the mods that they can supply, so I shall be able to operate throttle, clutch, and brake from the left side if it comes to that.

Regards,
                                                          Mike

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2016, 08:22:11 am »
I have no advice to give but i hope you make a full recovery .
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2016, 09:19:56 am »
It's really strange too Mike, my surname is Bennett!  :lol

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2016, 08:12:42 pm »

Thumbs up for a speedy recovery fella (very bad pun intended!)  :lol
« Last Edit: 31 May 2016, 08:13:21 pm by celticdog »
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 May 2016, 09:04:29 pm »
Two weeks ago I had an off, sustaining leg, rib and hand injuries. I had surgery to a displaced intra-articular fracture to the first metacarpal, right thumb, when K-wires were inserted. The surgeon told me that it was a serious injury and that I may not be able to ride a motorcycle again, which I'm pretty upset about. She said that my range of motion and grip strength will be greatly diminished. Have any fellow foccers suffered this injury ? If so, I would be very pleased to hear of your experiences, particularly the outcome after the months of physiotherapy to come, and how it has affected your ability to ride a motorbike.

I firmly believe the doctors often give the worst case scenario, because they cannot allow for the determination of the patient.
I was told in 2002 that I was unlikely to get full use my right leg and would have foot drop.
After 18 months I had the functionality back to about 90% of what it was and have no sensation between the knee and ankle.
Still have knee issues which will require replacement, but I can live with it.
Lots of pain, suffering and determination got me to where I am. The pain barrier was often met at the Physio and perseverance  won in the end.
Have no doubt it will be hard work and you will have days of frustration and days you just want to give up, but persevere and  improvements will be slow, but the only person who can do it, if it can be done, is you and unfortunately there is no easy way.

A friend of my eldest son had both thumbs cut off in a table mounted circular saw accident, the surgeon who reattached them said he would not be riding his bike again, but he proved them wrong and 18 months later he passed his test.

Good luck with the healing and don't stop the physio even when you are not at the physio and never give up. :thumbup

Buy a finger strengthener and a soft ball and keep with you for use at all times and you can always take heart from Ian Hutchinsons achievements.

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 June 2016, 08:21:21 am »
Brilliant, celticdog ! I didn't want to laugh due to my fractured rib but I had to. It was worth the pain !

Regards,
                                                        Mike

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 June 2016, 08:59:22 am »
Thank-you so much, unfazed. An inspirational post indeed, and really good advice, upon which I shall act. I am sending for a finger strengthener and will start improving grip strength on my left hand which is not injured.I didn't realise how poor it was compared to my dominant, (injured), right hand, until I tried to do things and struggled.
 I watched Ian Hutchinson's story the other night. It was upsetting to see the images of his catastrophic injuries and to hear him talking of the pain and suffering that he had to endure throughout his long battle to return to competition. What a truly inspirational story, as is your own ! Makes me realise what a wimp I am to even mention my paltry injuries.
 I look forward to having the wires removed and getting started on the physio.
Thank-you again, unfazed.

Regards,
                                                      Mike

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 June 2016, 10:26:37 am »
Sorry to hear about your off , hope you make a quick recovery and back on a bike soon , all the best Paul .

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 June 2016, 10:44:10 am »
Thank-you very much, Paul. Much appreciated.

Regards,
                                                        Mike

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 June 2016, 10:43:41 pm »

Thumbs up for a speedy recovery fella (very bad pun intended!)  :lol

Cheers Celticdog, nice pic!  :rollin

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 June 2016, 10:57:38 pm »
Thank-you so much, unfazed. An inspirational post indeed, and really good advice, upon which I shall act. I am sending for a finger strengthener and will start improving grip strength on my left hand which is not injured.I didn't realise how poor it was compared to my dominant, (injured), right hand, until I tried to do things and struggled.
 I watched Ian Hutchinson's story the other night. It was upsetting to see the images of his catastrophic injuries and to hear him talking of the pain and suffering that he had to endure throughout his long battle to return to competition. What a truly inspirational story, as is your own ! Makes me realise what a wimp I am to even mention my paltry injuries.
 I look forward to having the wires removed and getting started on the physio.
Thank-you again, unfazed.

Regards,
                                                      Mike

No injuries which effect you lifestyle are paltry  :thumbup

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 June 2016, 04:48:57 pm »
Just returned from 7 hours at A & E ! My left calf which was badly bruised in my 'off' has been very swollen and painful ever since. That's two weeks ago. My foot is now also badly swollen and very hot.
At 6-30am I went to A & E. Anyway, they did a D-dimer blood test which came back positive for a clot. They immediately gave me an injection in my stomach and I'm going back tomorrow for a scan to confirm or not that I have a blood clot. Other factors, such as trauma can give a positive test also, so I shall know for definite tomorrow. It has certainly taken my mind off my 'Bennett' thumb !

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 June 2016, 08:11:00 pm »
I had an "assisted off" in 2010. Gained a Bennets Fracture in the process on my left wrist/thumb.
Had the thing wired for a few weeks, wires came out and all appeared to be getting well........
Until I felt everything to do with the affected joint felt loose.
Another round of x-rays showed that the area where the wires had been, had "dissolved", leaving nothing holding my thumb on bar a few bits of ligaments and the skin!
Another operation, removed the affected area completely and its all now held together with a couple of screws. Its buggered my grip as I can't pick up small nuts and bolts with my left hand (which when your an aircraft engineer is a twat) and as a party trick I run a stud detector over it  :lol :lol :lol
Still painful 6 years on, especially when cold, but IT WILL NOT STOP ME RIDING.

Hope your doesn't go down this road................

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 June 2016, 08:29:06 pm »

Why have they put an FZS 1000 torque arm in your arm.

« Last Edit: 02 June 2016, 08:30:15 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 June 2016, 09:43:47 pm »

Why have they put an FZS 1000 torque arm in your arm.

I've been trying to guess where I'd seen that before!  :rollin

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 June 2016, 08:18:33 am »
It's very unfortunate,(and painful !), that you have had that experience, fazerscotty. Sorry to hear it.
With your occupation it must be a real inconvenience when dealing with small fasteners. Hats off to you for not letting it stop you riding. Makes me feel more optimistic. Just need to find out today if I have a DVT or not.

Regards,
                                                            Mike

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10 June 2016, 08:06:03 pm »
How've you been getting on Mike?
I've been away on holiday without any t'interweb or mobile access  :eek